The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 2006, 10:15 AM   #1
ai260

Peep Sight For 1903 6.5 X 54 Mann. Schoen.

I Was Told There Is An After Market Peep Which Would Mount On The Bolt.i Was Also Told They Are Hard To Find.i Dont Want To Drill Holes In The Receiver.
Thanks
Old July 2, 2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

peep sight

Dear Shooter:
Welcome to the Forum.
You are an insightful shooter to want a reciever sight for your rifle. The Germans used to do their accuracy testiung with metalic sights!
I don't know if there is one made that you won't need to drill and tap for but I'd look in Brownells Catalog and also Lyman.
However, drilling and tapping can be done professionally so as not to mar your rifle!
I did my best shooting with reciever sight and to be honest I don't like scopes. Although I'm forced to use scopes due to age I still prefer reciever sights.
The 6.5X54 is a good caliber - all of the 6.5s' are good calibers and really we don't need anything heavier except for the man-eating game! The 6.5s' are penetrators, especially with the 140gr bullet.
Hope you find your sight.
Harry B.