The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 1, 2001, 06:50 PM   #1
Dave P

On both my M1A and FAL, the sights have to be off-center to hit the target. How can this be fixed? I assume the bbl is slightly crooked in the rcvr? Any other explainations?

Does the bbl have to be re-threaded in the rcvr to fix this? Would a bbl recrown possibly help?

This is an annoyance more than anything, but it would be nice to fix them!

Thanks
Dave
Old March 1, 2001, 07:29 PM   #2
Rokchukrslave

I don't know about FAL's, but the front sight of your M1A is adjustable for windage to center your rear sight.
Old March 2, 2001, 09:11 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Dave, there are several things that come into play here. The stocks may be applying pressure to one side of the barrel. The receiver or barrel shank threads might not be exactly true. The bore may not be exactly center in the barrels. It could even be the way you hold the rifles. I'm not sure that replacing the barrels would help unless the threads in the receivers were trued up. I've seen a lot of this "off-set" in Mausers. I have one jig in particular that I like to use to drill & tap for scope mounts but it uses the barrel to align the rifle and if the barrel is off the holes will be. So I have to check the rifles to make sure the bore is aligned with the center of the receiver before I can use it. I would recommend you discuss it with someone who specializes in accurizing these rifles. You could contact Brownells and probably get a name or two. George
Old March 3, 2001, 01:58 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Are the rifles shooting normal-sized groups? Is the required offset a notable amount?

If you can drift the front sights so you can then center the rears, anything else would be more trouble and expense than is justified...

I agree that it's annoying; I have a GI Carbine that I had to move the rear sight to full-left to center the target. I gotta get off my lazy duff and fix that...

Good luck,

Art
Old March 7, 2001, 08:39 AM   #5
Dave P

Are the rifles shooting normal-sized groups? Yes

Is the required offset a notable amount? Yes, esp on the FAL.

I will measure the offset on the M1A, and see if I can convince SA to fix it. Last time I checked it was about 4" off at 100 yrds, and they said that was within spec.

On the FAL, I am now going down the path of a cheap scope solution - I think that should keep me happy (until the scope breaks, and then I'll take it back to Walmart!)

Thanks