The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Amsdorf

Fastest Shotgun? Six shots in .7 seconds HD VIDEO

I was able to get off six rounds of 00 Buck (2.75) in under .7 seconds.

Putting the M4 Benelli through it's paces, demonstrating just how quickly you can get shots off with it, noticeably faster than the full auto AA12 shotgun. Now, where can I get a belt feeding system for it??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dibSfoBtGU

Last edited by Amsdorf; July 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old July 21, 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
jmortimer

Fastest is Winchester SX3 12 shots in 1.442 seconds. You Tube Video from Winchester showing Patrick Flanigan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2QPvuEk5dg
Old July 21, 2012, 10:46 AM   #3
chadio

My Beretta may not shoot that fast, but...

I can shoot it all day long without detrimental effects to my anatomy
Old July 21, 2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Amsdorf

JMort, six shots in under .7 seconds is faster than 12 in 1.44.

Check my math, I never took calc.

Old July 21, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Amsdorf

Chadio, yes, same here. Very comfortable.

I went through about 80 rounds of 00Buck yesterday...didn't feel a twinge of pain this morning.
Old July 21, 2012, 11:05 AM   #6
LSnSC

How did you get that time? Shot timer? If so shoot it again and show the timer. That will silence the naysayers.

My understanding is the Benellis, M1, M2 , M3 and M4 can mechanically shoot and cycle no faster than .13-.14 seconds. Try to go faster and the hammer rides the bolt back to battery.
The Remington 1100 and 11-87s also have the same mechanical time limit but for a different reason.
The old Browning Auto 5 and the Sx2 and Sx3 ARE the fastest shotguns. This has been mechanicall proven, by folks building competiton raceguns.

The Benellis are rugged, reliable shotguns, but not the fastest.
Old July 21, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

(One) problem is the precision (or lack thereof) of your timing.

12 in 1.442 (defined to the thousandth of a second) and officially timed, is faster than 6 shots "in less than .7 seconds".

There's also the other issue that each consecutive shot is almost guaranteed to be slower than each previous shot. For instance, watch Jerry Miculak shoot the revolver record. He shoots something like 60 rounds from 10 guns. By the last two or three, he is noticeably slower than the first couple. So, you might well be able to shoot 6 rounds at a pace faster than his 60, but by the time you got to 60 (or probably 18), he'd smoke you.

Same thing here. You shot 6 shots in what would be 4/1000th of a second faster per shot than the record of 12, but you didn't shoot 12.

I wonder what the time of the first 6 shots was on the record of 12?

You shot fast, no doubt. If you think it's fastest, get an official timer and go for the record.
Old July 21, 2012, 11:17 AM   #8
zippy13

I've never been able to get on my second target faster than the gun. Of course, if you're multi-tapping a stationary target, it a different story (and typically a waste of ammo).
Old July 21, 2012, 12:10 PM   #9
jmortimer

No one, to date, has out-shot Flanigan. Other differences, he was shooting target loads with little recoil. But it would be amazing for a non-professional shooter to out-shoot Flanigan assuming same guns and same ammunition. He does it for a living. The SX3 and Browning Maxus are fast shooting by their nature as they soak-up recoil. I thought I had a good baseball arm until I saw the results on a radar gun. professional shooters are amazing, just like most professionals in any sport. If you can in fact do what you advertise, I would suggest putting on a show, or at least claiming a world record. I think it's harder than it looks.
Old July 21, 2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Amsdorf

Guys, you are missing the point.

Mortimer, you seem to have a burr under your saddle, partner, and I'm afraid I can't help you out, but do wish you would drop the thinly veiled hostility. Totally uncalled for and unnecessary.

So, to clarify:

I'm not trying to set a record.

I'm certainly NOT in way, shape or form comparing myself, even remotely to Jerry M. or Flannigan. No way, no how. Never mentioned them, so stop trying to accuse me of trying to compare myself to them.

I'm simply demonstrating how fast the Benelli M4 can be and is. Seems pretty darn fast to me, every bit as fast as the other shotguns mentioned.

And, I stand by my timing the shots, six shots in just under .7 seconds.

You are free to disagree with my timing, but please do not ascribe motives to me, or my video, which are NOT intended or there.

Thanks.
Old July 21, 2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You DID directly state that your shots were faster than the record.

I'm simply pointing out the reason they might be and why they might still not be, in reality.

As for how fast the gun is.... Ok, great, but.... Most any semi-auto is far, far faster than the shooter can reasonably use, so.... What?
Old July 21, 2012, 12:55 PM   #12
jmortimer

Not my intention to offend. I was using Flanigan, a prosessional shooter, as a baseline for comparison. I'm not a "fast shot" and it sounds like you can shoot very fast. If I could shoot fast enough I'd like to get paid for it but no can do.
Old July 21, 2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Amsdorf

Most any semi-auto is far, far faster than the shooter can reasonably use, so.... What?

So why make a big deal out of Flannigan blazing through 12 shells in 1.442 seconds??

Point is the M4 Benelli is every bit as fast as the Winchester Whatchmacallit.

Old July 21, 2012, 02:57 PM   #14
LSnSC

I believe your assertion is a mechanical impossibility...

Show me the timer and I'll believe it. Im not saying it isnt fast, BUT I dont think its as fast as you claim.
Old July 21, 2012, 03:08 PM   #15
Amsdorf

LSnC, the video is there for you to see. With my video editing software, I'm able to time audio/video down to the millisecond. The six shot string came in just under .7.

I stand by my assertion. It is accurate.

If you wish to call me a liar, feel free.

The cyclic rate surprised me. I was unable to achieve a string like this using ghost loading, the trigger was not resetting after the ghost load was shot and the next round chambered.

But with one in the chamber and five in the tube....well, the results are what they are.

I want to undescore that my M4 has no action or trigger modification. I use TW25 grease to lube it up. Further, I was shooting 2.75" 00Buckshot.
Old July 21, 2012, 03:32 PM   #16
g.willikers

Well, I'm impressed.
Thanks for the video.
What, in the design of this shotgun, allows it to be shot so fast and recoil less?
Old July 21, 2012, 03:50 PM   #17
Amsdorf

I believe it is Benelli's ARGO system, which is to say, what they call the mechanism by which gas from the exploding shotgun shell is diverted into two pistons which push the bolt back.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.benelliusa.com/innovations/argo.php

As for the effect on recoil, people more expert than me in these things would be able to tell you what's going on there, but....

All I can say is that a range session with my Remington 870 shooting 00Buck leaves my shoulder sore, and I'm even using a Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock.

The M4...no problem. I definitely feel recoil, but...it does not hurt, at all.
Old July 21, 2012, 05:30 PM   #18
chadio

Paul - thanks for sharing the vid, enjoyed it (all of your vids are worth watching).

Sorry if this thread has turned into a bit of a train wreck....
Old July 21, 2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Amsdorf

Oh, well, it's the Interweb.

And besides, we can always hit this button:

http://www.dramabutton.com/
Old July 23, 2012, 07:55 AM   #20
Rugerismisticness

I don't really care how fast the shooter shoots a number of rounds, all that we should be looking at is the cycle time for each shot.
Old July 23, 2012, 12:59 PM   #21
Amsdorf

Sure, six shots down range in .7 seconds.

Seems like a pretty speedy cycle time to me.

The ARGO system on the Benelli M4 is ingenious in its simplicity. Taking it down is a breeze too.
Old July 24, 2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Bill from Boomhower,

Alright, alright guys, y'all fire a few more shots, and then put 'em away. Who won the contest anyway? I'll wipe out the line in the sand, and take my Winchester model 37 and go home. Don't fire all those rounds at the home intruder. Might get ugly in court.