The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 25, 2024, 05:44 PM   #26
Nathan

First, I set headspace on a Savage with a GO gage plus a piece of clear tape on the end. That gave it min plus a bit, but not over NO GO.

Then I remove the gage and torqued with the wheeler wrench set and barrel vice. It worked pretty good for under $100. Torque was moderate.

Then to properly assess pressure, I find I have to size to where the bolt handle drops freely with brass FL sized. Maybe even -0.001” beyond that….depends on the brass condition….is it all annealed, same lot or something making it FL Size the same? Otherwise, FL Sizing can be all over the map.

Then, annealing while not mandatory is a good idea for changing things like neck diameter.

Regardless, you have shot some…..can you push a bullet back into the case with finger pressure? If not, there is issue #1. Basically, when the bullet releases, it should leave the OD to where a bullet will slide in the ID with finger pressure. If not, then you probably need to turn or ream necks. This is common going dow a size or 2.

Last, try a pressure ladder. Start with a load which a book, QL or something tells you that you are 45000 to 50000 psi and increment up ~0.4gr increments until you get bolt lift. Then your last load before bolt lift is absolute max.
Old May 25, 2024, 09:17 PM   #27
GeauxTide

Quote:
Also, I suffer from chronic cheapbastardism.
You picked the wrong hobby.
Old May 27, 2024, 12:33 PM   #28
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Update #2

Update #2 with some recap and conclusions:

Started with military (PPU) 7.62x51mm brass necked down to 6.5mm.
Powder is Winch StaBALL 6.5. Bullet is Hornady ELD-M 140gr.
hodgdonreloading.com does not have loads for this exact bullet and powder combo for .260, but they do have loads for the 147gr ELD-M, with 43.6gr the max.
They do have loads for this combo for 6.5 Creedmoor, which is not the same but is similar to .260, with 44.0gr max.
So y'all calling me a bomb-maker??

This is why I assumed 41.0gr was a safe starting point. With the recycled brass, with this load, the bolt stuck tight.
So I loaded up some with the new Norma brass. Five each, starting at 41gr, max 44gr.
41gr, no pressure issues.
42gr, no pressure issues.
43gr, no pressure issues.
44gr, STILL no pressure issues. So I think this is where I stay.

Conclusions: Yes, you can take Pawpaw's old deer gun and turn it into a target rifle. Barrel nut wrench, headspace gauges (NOGO and GO, from the same manufacturer) and a bench vise are absolute minimum. I will be adding an action wrench and a torque wrench.
You can NOT neck down military brass for this kind of project.

Molwn labe!
Old May 27, 2024, 12:37 PM   #29
Nathan

The bombmaker stuff is all in good fun, I’d guess…..maybe not.

Did you ever figure out why the once fired wouldn’t neck down? I.e. did you see if a bullet slides in/out of a fired case?
Old May 27, 2024, 01:24 PM   #30
MuzzleBlast

Quote:
Did you ever figure out why the once fired wouldn’t neck down? I.e. did you see if a bullet slides in/out of a fired case?
It necked down just fine, and held the bullet just fine. Maybe too good.

Molwn labe!
Old May 27, 2024, 01:29 PM   #31
MuzzleBlast

Quote:
probably need to turn or ream necks. This is common going down a size or 2.
My chronic cheapbastardism is always in conflict with my laziness. I think I will just abandon the notion of recycling brass.

Molwn labe!
Old May 27, 2024, 02:30 PM   #32
stagpanther

Glad you found a solution that at least the bolt sticking issue appears to have gone away. I personally have a nagging curiosity that always wants to know with as reasonably as close to certainty as I can get why something malfunctioned--because I will surely experience the same thing again if I don't. That's just how my luck goes.
Old May 27, 2024, 02:57 PM   #33
tangolima

Did you trim brass after necking down? PPU is not necessarily military. Even it is, it usually doesn't turn a min to above max. I'm leaning towards something else.

I did my fair share of brass conversions. One time or two I got stuck brass. Never caused by over pressure though.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2024, 07:14 AM   #34
MuzzleBlast

Quote:
Did you trim brass after necking down?
I did

Molwn labe!
Old May 28, 2024, 10:36 AM   #35
Pumpkin

As asked, will a new bullet slide into a fired case, one of your original sticky ones that made the bolt hard to open?

Last edited by Pumpkin; May 28, 2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 29, 2024, 08:54 AM   #36
MuzzleBlast

Quote:
As asked, will a new bullet slide into a fired case
Nope

Molwn labe!
Old May 29, 2024, 09:18 AM   #37
Nathan

Generally, that is a sign your necks are not opening enough. Unless you can measure neck wall thickness, generally you need to be able to reseat a bullet by hand to be safe.
Old May 29, 2024, 12:10 PM   #38
tangolima

Or the neck wall too thick that it pinches the bullet in place and hence caused high pressure. May need to be turned down a bit.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 30, 2024, 01:47 AM   #39
georgehwbush

yeah the "bomb maker" phrase was just a jab, no intention of offending. but the load data from hodgdonreloading.com.

Reloading Data Center
260 Remington
Your search returned 1 loads items
Twist: 1:9.000"|Barrel Length: 24.000"|Trim Length: 2.025"
Bullet: 140 GR. NOS PART|Diameter: 0.264"
Case: Remington|Primer: Remington 9 1/2, Large Rifle
Manufacturer, Powder, C.O.L., Starting Grains, Starting Velocity (ft/s), Starting Pressure, Maximum Grains, Maximum Velocity (ft/s), Maximum Pressure
Winchester, StaBALL 6.5, 2.780", 36.9, 2,441, 47,700 PSI, 41.1, 2,689, 59,700 PSI

that's a dirrect cut and paste. it's not formated correctly but they surely do have load data for winchester staybil 6.5 and the 140gr bullet, in 260rem.
admittedly it's not hornady eld-m it's nosler partition, which might be a harder allow with a thicker jacket and thus build more pressure.
but it would be a very good "starting" place.

at any rate; it looks like you have it all worked out now. cheers.
Old May 30, 2024, 08:17 AM   #40
stagpanther

Is your barrel cut to match grade by any chance? That can result in changing the chamber delta by as much as .002", in which case your loads may need to be adjusted downward; I usually factor in at least a 10% reduction compared to typical SAAMI-based published data when generating new data for match barrels.