View Single Post
Old February 2, 2010, 10:22 AM   #1
JH1

Which for a Truck Gun?

I'm looking for a short barreled semi auto carbine in either 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 to keep in my truck 100% of the time for the occasional coyote or other critters that cross my path. I'm limiting myself to these two calibers because of cheap blasting ammo, because its only other purpose is going to be punching paper and shooting cans at the range. I have owned two mini 14's in the past and wasnt really satisfied with either for how much they cost, so I'm trying to keep the cost down, and since its a truck gun trying to stay with barrel lengths under 20". I've just about narrowed my choices down to two guns. The first is a saiga carbine in one of these two calibers, which can be had for just under $400 after shipping and transfer fees. The other is an sks paratrooper with the short barrel. I've found one for sale locally for $300 obo, just comes with the basics (wood stock, bayonet, etc).

My question is, how do these two stack up? Pros for the saiga is that its new production, has AK action, easily upgradable. Pros for the sks are price, price, and price. I dont have enough experience with either to know which is more accurate, if somebody could help me out there. I'm not expecting a benchrest gun, but would like to be able to hit a paper plate at 100yds.

Anybody have opinions on this? Other reccomendations besides these two guns?

Page generated in 0.05250 seconds with 8 queries