View Single Post
Old November 12, 2001, 10:25 AM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Big G-
Actually, no. Those who have hunted with me know that I detest statements like "Oh, he was dead with the first shot. I only shot him 3 more times because....." By the time the Hunter returns to camp, the statement becomes "It was a one shot kill". Personally, I believe tags should be available for such species....they are more dangerous to the novice hunter than Buff.

The pic above was, in fact a 1 shot kill. This was because the PH's and Scout believed that I had hit high in the leg, based on the Buff's reaction. Since it was my first Buff, they wanted to make certain we gave it plenty of time to separate from the herd. We waited one full cigarette (15 minutes) before starting out. It was found within 100 yards of the shoot, graveyard dead.

The other two Buff were first round heart shots but hardly dead. (I say this in context of the fact that my best shooting was with the 45-70. However, I also blew my share of shots...poorly hitting the reedbuck, an impala and blowing a number of follow up shots).

In the case of the other two buff, the stalks started more quickly: 10 minutes. One was hit 3 more times and another required a 500 yard, running, reloading gun battle during which it took 6 more hits including chest, gut, Texas Heart and, finally cervical spine.

This is not to say that the 45-70 can't quickly dispatch a Buff. Shoulder joint shots will generally bring one down, as well as a brain or spine shot. Yours truly is simply not that adept....yet (I keep practicing). However, the shoots demonstrate that the 45-70, with proper bullets, can absolutely reach the vital stuctures and destroy them completely.
Rich

Page generated in 0.03496 seconds with 8 queries