View Single Post
Old December 2, 2000, 06:22 AM   #9
kdmoore

I think you are dead on going with a gas operated auto (for recoil reduction and sighting plane reasons). If there is a concern over recoil (read, depending on your wife's toughness) address it early and carefully. I made the mistake of letting my wife shoot a light 20 sxs that didn't fit her well with a heavy loads as her first shotgun experience and think it was the dumbest think I've ever done in my life!!!
I would say make sure the gun fits well (youth/ladies model if appropiate) and start with a lighter load (only if you reload, alot of 3/4 oz promo loads make up for lighter loads with higher velocities and that adds back the recoil). Also, start with easy targets (skeet low 7) and work up slowly so she starts with a good positive experience. Missing for a beginner is very frustrating because you don't know where you shot. Hitting on the other hand....
I would even consider a 28 ga. Recoil will be no issue and yet the cartridge has good performance (unlike the 410, in my mind a gun for experts, not beginners!!!!!). If you do, save your hulls, shells are so expensive you may want to consider reloading if 28 is her guage.

-K

Page generated in 0.02805 seconds with 8 queries