View Single Post
Old December 4, 2005, 01:07 AM   #4
Zak Smith

I have shot over over 2500 of the 155gr Lapua Scenars through my AI-AWP rifle, in factory and hand-loaded ammunition. I use the published BC value of 0.508 along with the actual measured muzzle velocity from my rifle and appropriate environmental conditions as inputs to any of the ballistic calculators such as Sierra or Exbal. These produce drop values which I have verified within about 0.5 MOA out to 800-825 yards at an ambient altitude of 5000'. (I say accurate within 0.5 MOA because most of my targets are right around 1 MOA at those distances, and the data was proven by making hits on steel.)

This would suggest that the published BC value is accurate. Some guys over on Long-Range.com have posted similar experience.

The 155 Scenar definitely is more sensitive to barrel/chamber setup than a more common bullet like the 155 SMK. Neither my old AR10 (20") or a friend's LTR would shoot the Scenars worth anything. My AWP has shot its best groups (I'm sure limited by my ability) with the 155 Scenar, however (between 0.2 and 0.3 MOA - would have to check logbook for exact size).

The 155 Scenar's high BC looks suspect until you place one next to a 175SMK-- the 155 is a longer bullet.

Page generated in 0.02577 seconds with 8 queries