View Single Post
Old January 13, 2006, 10:39 AM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Feral hogs will cross breed with about any kind of Russian/European Boar(Black or Red Razorbacks) having about 8-10 pigs per year.
Yes, they cross breed. They can do that because they are the same species and so can do so readily.

Quote:
They will travel in groups called "Sounders".
Sounders are composed of a females and young. Boars are usually solitary except during breeding.

Quote:
They also compete for every food source that your deer have to feed on.
This isn't exactly true. Deer are browsers and being taller are able to browse at levels hogs cannot attain although within their reach, hog diet is across the board and is not limited to consumption of deer diet. Hogs are omnivors and while they prefer plants, about all they don't eat is hardwood and rocks.

Quote:
They also carry several diseases,most of which are cooked away, and are not detrimental to humans.
They can carry a disease called Pseudorabies, a viral disease not related to rabies and does not affect humans, but can be given to Livestock, Pets,and Wildlife.
All animals carry diseases. Some are zoonotic to human or zoonotic to other species. Penned domestic hogs can carry the same diseases as feral hogs.

Page generated in 0.03903 seconds with 8 queries