View Single Post
Old January 13, 2006, 10:16 AM   #14
Wild Bill Bucks

FF

I'm not real Ballsy, so I do any hog hunting from a tree, their not going to have to worry about hearing me coming.
Had a guy last year from work get worked over pretty good by a wounded sow, and she killed two of his dogs, tore up several others before they finally killed her (About 400 lbs) so I can't hardly make my butt get out of a tree.
Quinton is a little bit to far north in latimer county to get into very many hogs,Lots of cattle country up there and farmers keep them pretty much in check.
Best places are around the southern Okla. lakes at Sardis, Hugo, Piney Creek, McGee, or Broken Bow.
All of these lakes are fed by rivers that have a lot of public land around the lake property that is protected by the state.
This makes perfect areas for hogs to breed and run wild because the protected areas of the lakes keeps them from being hunted.
Best thing is to find land owners around those areas that are being run over by the hogs and ask them to shoot them off of their property. That gets you off of the state property, but still puts you close enough to get some good hunting.
My lease is over between Hatrshorne and Wilburton and Gaines Creek runs through the middle of our lease. Seems like the hogs on our place travel the creek bed almost exclusivly wandering away from it just long enough to find food.
On Hugo lake, a lot of hogs are found up and down the Kiamichi River the same way.
Seems like this holds true on Sardis Lake up and down The Jack Fork River.
Probably the water, and their need to wallow that keeps them around the creeks, but it sure makes them predictable as far as looking for places to hunt.
Most Farmers and Ranchers in those areas are fairly agreeable, and most of them work so hard trying to make a living, that they don't have time to keep the hogs down, so if a guy presents himself as someone who will not take advantage of them, most of them will give you permission to hunt on them.
Since they all know each other, the word of mouth will get you on other places if you are liked.

Page generated in 0.02169 seconds with 8 queries