View Single Post
Old January 11, 2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Eliminate Hogs-Improve Deer Population

It has come to my attention that there are some of you who don't know much about Hog hunting and Why.
I am in NO WAY any kind of expert on the subject, but here's what I know.
I invite any comments that might be helpful to my education and others.

Feral hogs will cross breed with about any kind of Russian/European Boar(Black or Red Razorbacks) having about 8-10 pigs per year. They will travel in groups called "Sounders". They can get from 450-500 lbs and can become very aggressive if wounded or threatened. They are mostly nocturnal, but can occasionally be found in the daytime around wallows,or seeps and ponds located in the woods.
The reasons for hunting them on your deer place, is because they will eat deer fawns and anything else that they can find laying helpless.
They also compete for every food source that your deer have to feed on.
un-checked they will devistate your deer lease, by eating all the food sources .
They also carry several diseases,most of which are cooked away, and are not detrimental to humans.
They can carry a disease called Pseudorabies, a viral disease not related to rabies and does not affect humans, but can be given to Livestock, Pets,and Wildlife.
When handling while cleaning, you should ALWAYS wear a good pair of rubber gloves.
If you field dress an animal you should bury the internal organs, and never feed the organs to your pet.
Although skinning is slow, it is relatively clean, and since the hair doesn't come loose easily, you won't get much on the meat.
Once the skin is removed wash the carcass very well and soak the meat in salt water for a few hours.
A boar is generally not fit for much but a trophy, although there are people who can fix them and make them eatable, I prefer the 50 to 250lb range of piglets and small sows. They just seem to be much better meat.
Certain times of the year they aren't worth much for eating, but generally the colder weather seems to be the best time for harvest.
By getting rid of them from your hunting areas, you will increases the population of your deer and make a much healthier enviroment for them.
You should remove any wild hog from your area whether you eat them or not, simply because they are such a devistating problem to everything, and they reproduce far more rapidly than your deer.

Anxious to here from others as to how to bait or hunt them.

Page generated in 0.02729 seconds with 8 queries