View Single Post
Old July 2, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Harry,

I thought perhaps he might be trying to turn his barrel down for a front sight? I got that idea because of his mention of the narrower 14 mm portion to the muzzle beyond where he wants to cut (unless this is a reverse taper?). I did a Palma style front sight on my dad's Savage. The design slipped on over a smooth O.D. and red Loctite was applied when zeroing it at the range to establish the final position. I did dad's rifle on my lathe, but a polished pilot like those on the hand crowning tools Brownells sells should do no more than lightly burnish lands. Alignment for a target sight is less critical than on something the bullet passes through since the sights are adjustable.

My concern is more about whether the barrel is stress-relieved|? You can get slug-detectable bore enlargement when you cut down the contour of a barrel that hasn't been stress relieved, though 1 mm out of 16 mm isn't going to do a lot. In the case of dad's rifle, we planned to lap it's bore anyway. We saved that step until all other barrel work was done, and in that way any sins were corrected by the lapping. Cpileri may want to consider adding this step?

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02290 seconds with 8 queries