View Single Post
Old June 30, 2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Mike in Michigan

turning tool

Not sure if I correctly picture your need but here goes.
You want to turn down a 1/2" section of the muzzle to a certain OD for a short length.
About 30 years ago, I purchased a circle cutting tool at Sears that uses HSS 1/4" square lathe bits as the cutter. I used it to cut speaker holes in car doors back then. When correctly sharpened, it cut right through fabric, cardboard sheet metal and door stiffeners. I have seen similar tools in various catalogs over the years so I expect it is still made by someone. The tool has a 1/4" drill for the center pilot. The tool bit axis is aligned with the axis of the drill on the end of a radially adjustable arm. You could make a caliber-specific spud to replace the drill, isolate the end of the barrel with a stack of washers to protect the crown and turn the assembly by hand or with a very slow speed 1/2" drill. The bit would require some creative grinding to get the cutting edge lined up but is quite doable.
Basically, it is simply a very rigid variation of a set of trammel points and beam with one point as center and the other as cutter.

Page generated in 0.03850 seconds with 8 queries