Thread: M1903-A4
View Single Post
Old July 17, 2023, 02:46 PM   #3
HiBC

Well said 44AMP. AIM Surplus (some time ago) was selling 1903A3 receivers taken from drill rifles.
I made a 1903A4 forgery using one. I like it! No,its not an original. I don't represent it as one.

A fair number of 1903's and 1903A3s were sold through the NRA/DCM program.
Many of those ended up minimally altered to sporters on the pattern of "The Springfield Sporter.
And,many more were fully sporterized via varyng degrees of skill and excellence.

In large part,we have a "Local Gunsmith Industry" with roots in converting old single shots and milsurps into sporters.
The same can be said of 1911 pistols.

Gun Digest used to publish beautiful pic of guns reworked from milsurps.

That was then. If you look at Hot Rodding, Model T's.Model A's, 34 Fords,Willys coupes, 55 chevies,mustangs and camaros... Were altered into Hot Rods.

Whether its barrels of Krags,Mausers,Springfields etc...for pocket money at the hardware store or "another Mustang or Camaro" they were plentiful,cheap, taken for granted and there was a ton of accessories and support for the shade tree gunsmith or racer.

And now? I get the pitter-patters over a patinaed 1963 Ford Falcon 6 cylinder automatic. Not to hot rod,just to drive.

We pay way too much for an old 30-30 "just because" and patina is the preferred finish.

IMO, what you did to that Springfield is an honorable thing and it looks like you did a fine job. Enjoy it!

Page generated in 0.03631 seconds with 7 queries