View Single Post
Old May 18, 2021, 07:11 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

The above recommendations (demands, really) for Win AA or Remington STS/Nitro are no guarantee for brass heads in today's world.
I have all of the above, and other "premium" hulls, with brass-washed or brass-plated steel bases.
Manufacturers use what they can get. Sometimes, that means using steel heads on hulls that might usually get brass. But I'm not sure that they even make it "the old way" any more.

Right now, in fact, I cannot find a brass-headed STS or Nitro hull. Everything that I have in my stash is washed/plated steel. These primarily represent 2010+ production.

If you check the Winchester website, you may note that they don't mention a brass base for AA any more. This aligns with the hulls that I have collected over the last 20 years. AA from the late '90s and earlier seems to be all brass heads. But 2000 and up became a mixed bag. Now, it seems to be all steel.

The only hull that I know of that doesn't get made unless the head is brass is Federal Gold Medal Grand -- the paper hull.

There may be specialty loads that are still always brass heads. But the only one that I know of being "guaranteed" is FGMG paper. And that, of course, is only viable if you're shooting 12 ga.

Page generated in 0.03403 seconds with 8 queries