PDA

View Full Version : Lead Bullets

Mikepr
January 31, 2002, 12:16 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on using 125 gr. RNL bullets in 9mm? Particularly in a Beretta 92FS. Cabela's has what sounds like a good deal for 125 gr. RNL ammo. 600 rds. for $64.99. That's the same as $5.41 for a box of 50. These are loose rounds and come with an ammo can with every 300 rds. The ammo cans are a consolation. I'm sure I'll have to clean my gun more often using using lead bullets, but I'm curious if I can expect any feeding and/or accuracy problems with them. :rolleyes:

Ala Dan
January 31, 2002, 12:34 PM
When handloading for the 9m/m, I use a 122 grain cast
LRN bullet in my Sig P228; with no problems. I believe
that Glock's and H&K's are the company's denouncing
the use of lead bullet's. Your Beretta should function
just fine with cast lead projectiles.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Mark IV Series 80
January 31, 2002, 10:23 PM
I would ask Beretta if they recommend lead bullets or reloaded cartridges.

Glock recommends against lead and reloads.

One thing you should never do with a Beretta (or a Glock) is to shoot jacketed ammo after you shoot lead.

Jacketed 9mm factory ammo (CCI Blazer) can be had for $5.00 a box.

I believe you can get similar deals on Winchester White Box, and maybe even Fiocchi.

ZipTieNinja
February 1, 2002, 02:01 AM
You should never fire lead bullets, then jacketed bullets without cleaning the barrel thoroughly. Lead can build up, then when the jacketed bullet comes through, it tries to push past the lead. It can bulge the barrel. Thats what they claim anyway...

Beretta's have a 3 year warranty, if you send in the card. They say that if the guns blows up while firing reloads, they will not repair it under the warranty. If they function good, then you use factory loads and it blows up, no problem, they will fix it. :rolleyes: Never heard of anything said about lead though....

railroader
February 1, 2002, 02:03 AM
http://www.centuryarms.com/store/index.html?target=PMP_Ammo.html You can get 500 rounds of PMP south african 9mm ammo here for $55 delivered. Its brass case 115fmj. Mark

hjm
February 1, 2002, 08:03 AM
I exclusively use LRN 9mm (115 grains, I believe?) for my SIG P226 while shooting indoors. The gun club I belong to does not allow any type of jacketed ammo in the indoor range. While the outdoor range does allow all types, it is winter here and I have to shoot inside. I have trouble finding LRN 9mm ammo. In fact, I do not believe ammoman.com even has any. When I do find it, I usually buy all I can.

My bigger question is:
Are there any LRN 9mm ammo makers that do not use reloads? Are all LRN 9 mm reloads?
I would LOVE to find LRN 9 mm NON RELOAD!

Any info?

thanks,

hjm

Snowdog
February 1, 2002, 09:51 AM
I do believe the general consensus is to avoid extended shooting sessions while using lead bullets out of firearms with polygonal rifling such as Glocks and Kahrs. Call the manufacturer about using FACTORY loaded lead bullets.

MuzzleBlast
February 1, 2002, 11:09 AM
http://www.centuryarms.com/store/in...t=PMP_Ammo.html You can get 500 rounds of PMP south african 9mm ammo here for $55 delivered. Its brass case 115fmj. Mark This is GREAT practice ammo, by the way. Very accurate and reliable in my Hungarian Highpower. At these prices, no compelling reason to shoot reloads, whether lead bullet or jacketed.

James K
February 1, 2002, 11:40 AM
Properly lubricated lead bullets will not lead the barrel excessively at moderate handgun velocities.

All gun makers warn against use of handloads and will not honor the warranty for a problem caused by handloads. The obvious reason is that there is no control on handloads and one to share the blame with. The big ammo factories have extensive quality control programs and exercise great care. A lot of handloaders limit quality control to not dropping too many cigarette ashes into the box they use with the teaspoon to measure powder.

I have seen one Ruger taken apart with a triplex load; an S&W destroyed by a load of 24 grains of compressed Bullseye; a .45 auto frame cracked with use of heavy charges of Unique; etc. In
every case, the gun owner tried to blame the gun and get the factory to send him a new one.

Jim