PDA

View Full Version : MK9 Recoil - How severe?

marca
January 26, 2002, 10:49 AM
I'm interested in feedback from anyone who's shot an KAHR MK9 regarding the severity of its recoil. How does it compare to a Tomcat, P-32, Guardian? I realize the MK9 is larger caliber than the models I've listed and that bigger bullet + bigger bang = harder recoil, but I know that design of each gun varies the perceived recoil. Short version of my question is, will the MK9 put me in traction? Is it painful to shoot?

I'm used to shooting my Glock 26, and occasionally my Glock 30 which are a pleasure to shoot. I realize a pocket gun can't be a smooth but am looking for something to compare to.

Thanks

Marc

pwd
January 26, 2002, 11:24 AM
I have an MK9 which I carry daily. I used to have a Glock 26. If you can handle the 26, the MK9 should be no problem.

dinosaur
January 26, 2002, 11:30 AM
The recoil is quite manageable. MK40 owners say they`re not bad either.

bad_dad_brad
January 26, 2002, 12:01 PM
I have an MK9. Recoil is not a problem. It snaps pretty good, and don't think it will ever be as smooth shooting as a Glock 17 but those double springs and it's weight keep thing easily managable.

Try shooting one of those new ultra light snubbys in .38 and after the numbness in your hand goes away, compare it to the MK9.

As far as comparing it to some of the other guns you listed, the only one I have is the P32. The MK9 has less felt recoil than the P32 even though it fires a much more powerfull cartridge.

I really like the MK9. In one stroke Kahr, in my opinion, obsoleted all .380 pistols like the PPK, etc. Not that those .380 aren't good guns, it is just that the 9mm cartridge in a size smaller than most .380 blowback designs, changes everything.

I don't think you can go wrong with an MK9.

riddleofsteel
January 26, 2002, 12:28 PM
I shoot my MK40 on a regular basis and I find no pain in the exercise. Havig said that, if you are looking just to burn ammo at the range get a larger 9mm like a Glock, Beretta, or Sig they are MUCH more comfortable. But if you want the finest sub-compact 9mm or .40 auto on the market the MK series is it.

dsk
January 26, 2002, 01:35 PM
I have a P9, which is lighter than an MK9. The recoil is no problem with conventional ammo. With +P ammo like Cor-Bon the recoil becomes quite snappy and definitely gets your attention, plus the flash is pretty intense. But it certainly doesn't sting by any means, so I could confidently say even a recoil-shy person can handle a P9 or MK9 when using conventional ammo.

Redlg155
January 26, 2002, 01:54 PM
All I know is that I want one!:D

One of my local dealers wants $569 for one, which in my book is way too much for the standard model. Not when I can order one from Arizona Gun Runners for a hundred bucks less.

Good Shooting
RED

Erik
January 26, 2002, 02:01 PM
I've tried out the MK9, and bought an MK40 not too long ago.

The recoil on bith is quite reasonable, given their diminutive size and potent chambering.

I recommend either.

pocketman
January 26, 2002, 03:00 PM
I think you will find the mk-9's recoil about the same as your glock 26, I have both and although the mk is much smaller recoil seems about the same (minimal) to me.

Are you looking at the mk-9 as a carry piece or a range blaster?
The k-9's are very compact and make nice belt guns, while the mk series can be pocket carried.

Kentucky Rifle
January 26, 2002, 04:38 PM
I don't have a 9MM yet. I was kinda waiting to see the MP9, however I've read some negative posts about Kahr polymer models. I can get a new MK9 for a good price, so I might just do that. I would like to ask this though. Has ANYONE had a bad experience with MK9's? I don't remember any posted. Please, let me know. I "need" a 9. :)

Thanks,
KR

pocketman
January 26, 2002, 09:41 PM
KR, The only problems I've heard of with the MK's were when they were first introduced, There was an extractor problem that a updated extractor fixed. I had one of the first batch of 500 that had this problem and Kahr fixed it and the gun fuctioned 100% and, foolishly I sold that MK.

I recently picked up anouther one thats definitly a keeper, 100% reliable,super accuracy and carries well in a kramer pocket holster.

In a stainless micro nine, I don't believe theres a finer choice.

The polimer MK-9 is a reality, confirmed by kahr and theres a pic in the new (march) guns magazine,say's it will be introduced at the shot show.

I would buy a polimer MK-9 in a heart beat it would not totally replace my stainless one, probally would see heavy summer time carry, but in my commi. state (massachusettes):barf: they will not be allowed forsale. I got lucky with my MK-9,as it had to be made bore 10/98 to be sold here, the MK's were only about 1 year old then so it was tuff finding one.

b3bunner
January 27, 2002, 06:13 AM
The Mk9 is a joy to shoot. I used to have a Guardian and after about 30-50 rounds my hand would hurt. I also have a G27. The Glock is a good shooter but the MK9 is tamer. I have been qualified to carried both the G27 and MK9 by my department for off duty and back up. But I find myself carrying the MK9 about everywhere I go. It is just a bit smaller and easier to conceal.
I do look forward to the MP9 but I think I will hold off for a year and let everyone else find and work out the bugs before I buy one. When I find out that the MP9 will be 100% reliable then I will be the first in line to get one. My MK9 has been nothing but 100% and would recommend it to anyone.

Handy
January 27, 2002, 09:45 AM
I don't think recoil is at all an issue with the MK9. I usually shoot snappy S&B and the snap is not memorable. Reliability isn't an issue either; mine has never jammed in it's first 150 rounds. It's a great size too, but I haven't been carrying enough lately, so I'm selling:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2980228

If anybody wants it, please bid or email me. If no one has bid when I get the email, I'll turn the auction off and sell outright. It's next to new condition.

SouthpawShootr
January 27, 2002, 10:27 AM
I expect my MK9 to be a brute. It's not. I would rate the recoil on par with my Tomcat. Slightly different character, certainly no worse than the G26. I carry my G26 (haven't quite finished breaking in my MK9 yet). The relatively heavy weight of the pistol coming into play here, reducing the recoil to manageable levels. Also, the low bore axis in relation to the hand position tends to direct the recoil straight back more than up. So, recoil is just a bit sharper back towards you but much less muzzle rise compared to G26. In my experience anyway.

marca
January 27, 2002, 04:03 PM
After posting the beginning of this thread, and based on the feedback I've gotten here, I went to the range, rented an MK9 and gave it a workout. Everything I've read here is true. It's an incredibly smooth-shooting pistol, and it's very accurate. However, I'm probably going to hold off on making a purchase at this point. Once I had a chance to handle the gun and compare it to my Glock 26, I don't find much practical difference (that is, practical for my use - your mileage may vary)in size between the two. The MK9 is a bit shorter and definitely thinner, very sleek. I also like the extra heft of the steel frame. If I didn't already have the G26 I'd without doubt, go for the MK9. Short version - It's a purchase I can't justify making right now.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and words of wisdom.

marca

kogatana
January 27, 2002, 04:25 PM
MK9 Recoil - How severe?
With Corbon 115-grain +P, the felt recoil in my average-sized hands is approximately half as severe as that of 115-grain +P .38 in a S&W Centennial revolver. Hope this answers your question.

M1911
January 28, 2002, 10:11 AM
Recoil is not a big deal with the MK9. I've got a Kahr K40 and I do find that to be uncomfortable to shoot. But the MK9 is not. I've shot Remington 115 gr +P+ and Federal Hydrashok 124 gr through it with no discomfort. In contrast, my S&W 642 with 158gr +P is very uncomfortable. Guardian NAA is not a lot of fun either.

M1911

Indy_SIG
January 28, 2002, 05:41 PM
The recoil of my MK9 is equal to, or maybe even less, than that of my NAA Guardian .32.

The MK9, IMHO, is simply the best small gun made (guns under 6 inches long).

Onslaught
January 29, 2002, 02:37 PM
After reading PocketMan's post, the excitement was too much to bear... I ran straight to the local Winn Dixie and made a beeline for the magazine rack. DOH! They're still sporting February issues.... :(

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer... Any idea when the MP9 is supposed to be offered? I'm not personally worried about bugs in the MP9, since it's essentially the P series with a cut off frame (not a new mold) and the only other thing they did was shorten the slide a bit. All the bugs I'm aware (and experienced first hand) of in the polymer pistols were located in the frame section of the pistol.

I'll be buying one AS SOON as they're available and funds allow. :D

Thanks for the info PM!

pocketman
January 29, 2002, 04:55 PM
:D.... Onslaught,
I think your right on the bug issue with the polimer mk-9, I bet they worked them out on the p-9's and p9-40's, It seems most of the problems with the p-9s were the first run mods.

The march guns mag. only has a small pic on the "whats new" page with a few sentences descibing it. I'm sure there will be write ups galor with in the next few months, I believe the polimer Mk series will be very,very hot for kahr, In fact I would not be suprised if they become as, or hotter than the little kel-tec 32's are.

Good luck when you get one, I know I would love to be able to get one! I am very happy with my stainless MK though.

IRock
January 29, 2002, 05:20 PM
They don't have the bugs worked out yet. I just returned one and they gave me a MK40 in return from the factory. The molding was terrible and it was a new production gun. I'll take the MK40.

Handy
January 30, 2002, 10:39 AM
Hey, if anyone is interested, I have an excellent, really low miles MK9 for sale. The above auction is over, just email me an offer.