PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question about the Walther P99.

Section 31
January 25, 2002, 11:13 PM
I am going to buy a Walther next Week, just wondering if i should get the P99 or the P99QA. Could someone that has experience with both give me some insight. Like the Trigger pull on the QA, i have shot the P99, dont like the DA pull, love the SA pull, just wondering if the QA is the way to go.

P99
January 25, 2002, 11:42 PM
I've got both styles. The QA is similar to a Glock, although I find it to be more of a crisp pull and the Glock to be spongy.

The trigger travels about 1/4" before releasing the half-cocked striker. It has a pull weight of 8lbs.

I really like it.

Hope this helps

P99

Kermit
January 26, 2002, 01:11 AM
Boy, it seem like that price reduction that was mentioned on another thread has sparked some interest...hmmmm

355sigfan
January 26, 2002, 05:04 AM
Get a glock instead you will be happier at least if you want a reliable accurate gun. If you want a POS the Walther is for you.
PAT

Tamara
January 26, 2002, 09:09 AM
Get a glock instead you will be happier at least if you want a reliable accurate gun. If you want a POS the Walther is for you.

Odd, the P-99's have, in my experience, been outstandingly reliable and accurate (with the exception of some of the very earliest .40's). Definitely the best trigger of any of the higher-end plastic guns (Glock/USP/FortyNine/Steyr/SIGpro) that I've sampled.

Catbird
January 26, 2002, 09:32 AM
Section 31 ~

I know what you mean; I've recently been faced with the same dilemma. Being a "Glock guy", I was pleasantly surprised with the P99s QA trigger. IMHO, it was superior to Glock's trigger; I just couldn't decide. :confused:

All that being said, I ordered my first Walther P99 last week -- a 9mm military OD with the traditional DA/SA trigger configuration.

The QA will have to wait.... maybe my next P99....or maybe the next one after that.

P-99er
January 26, 2002, 04:48 PM
My fix to the DA trigger on my P-99's is to carry them cocked. It takes discipline but it can be done. My next will be the QA. If I could make one change to the P-99 it would be to make it SAO, which is basically how I carry mine.

The P-99 QA was rated as "Gun of the Year" by Gun Tests Magazine. That is the second time a P-99 model has received that award. The accuracy is amazing. I have never had a single malfunction of any kind with mine after nearly 20,000 rounds.

The P-99 is as reliable as any gun on the market, and it is way comfortable.

When you hear the "Glock crowd" attacking something it is a good sign that the Glock is being threatened. I can say that I have enough Glocks, but I do not have enough P-99's.

Find a Gun Show and compare the QA trigger.

355sigfan
January 26, 2002, 05:04 PM
The P-99 QA was rated as "Gun of the Year" by Gun Tests Magazine. That is the second time a P-99 model has received that award. The accuracy is amazing. I have never had a single malfunction of any kind with mine after nearly 20,000 rounds.

If I got this type of performance from the walther P99 I owned I would have kept it and it would be more popular. If you call 4 inch groups at 25 yards amazing then the Walther is amazine. If you call locking the slide open every mag with 3 to 4 rounds left in the mag reliable then its reliable. Its not popular because of these issues not because glock feels threatened. The ealry 9mm would not work with 115 grain 9mm ammo. The 40's had the slide locking problem. Then their is the excessive muzzle flip compared to a glock. They just plain suck.
PAT

P-99er
January 26, 2002, 05:35 PM
Actually the data in the mag is:

Smallest group @ 25 yards: 1.5 inch
Largest group @ 25 yards: 2.4 inch
Average group @ 25 yards: 2.0 inch

I guess YMMV. At 25 yards I am happy with a 2.4 in group.

Maybe the group size is reflective of the shooter. My groups have never been 4 inches. Oh the shame and embarrassment. Now I understand your point. If I had a gun that I shot that poorly with, I would hate it too.

Slide problems: I have never seen any.

The bottom line. Walther is a very nice pistol. Believe what you want to believe. Those people who don't buy one based on what you read in forum are truly missing out.

Tamara
January 26, 2002, 05:49 PM
Then their is the excessive muzzle flip compared to a glock.

Que? :confused: If the have more flip (which they may, Glocks do have a very low bore axis) I never really noticed it. Maybe if you measured with real sensitive instruments...

They just plain suck.

Very comprehensive and totally objective reporting, there. :rolleyes:

NMGlocker
January 26, 2002, 06:11 PM
If you call 4 inch groups at 25 yards amazing then the Walther is amazine. They just plain suck.
Maybe its not the pistol that sucks, but the operator?
nahhh.....that couldn't be it.
I know what i'd like to see.
355sigfan and Wild Pomeranian, locked in a room together for a week or so, with a Lorcin .25 and a Jennings .25, THEN they would truly know what SUCKS means.

Modifiedbrowning
January 26, 2002, 06:11 PM
Can't we just all get along? Seems like everbody has their STRONG opinions about the Glock and P99. I personally prefer the Walther but if you like the Glock more power to you. Seems like this thread is turning into a school yard fight, "says you!" "No, says you" Blah, Blah Blah:barf:

Tamara
January 26, 2002, 06:22 PM
Seems like this thread is turning into a school yard fight, "says you!" "No, says you" Blah, Blah Blah

Indeed.

Argue pistols please, folks, not persons.

Section 31
January 26, 2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the info. Tamara, please lock this thread down, i was looking for information, not a glock vs. walther bash.

Casey
January 26, 2002, 07:13 PM
Those true COG (Church of Glock) believers really get their feathers ruffled, don't they.

You mean everyone hasn't sold/melted/scrapped all all their handguns that aren't Glock perfection? Lightening bolts will strike you from above!!!!

HHHAAAAHHHHHAAAhhhaaaaaa!

If it weren't so sad it would be funny.

Casey