PDA

View Full Version : Price Check - Browning A-5

Noban
January 25, 2002, 09:35 PM
I've come across a Belgian made Browing A-5 12 ga. "light" in a local shop. It has beautiful engraving on the receiver and trigger guard. The stock looks refinished, like tung oil. I'd rate the appearance at 99%. He's asking $550 - how's the price?

Thanks

Noban

Dave McC
January 25, 2002, 10:49 PM
Good shotgun, slightly high price, unless.....

Ask the shopowner to take the stock off. Look as the receiver and see if there's rust. This may be one of the notorious "Salt Wood" guns. If not, follow your heart. If you want the thing, buy it.

For those that can shoot them, the A-5 L comes in a trifle heavy for upland work, but lots of folks love 'em.

A small suggestion if you buy it. Take it to a good smith or shop and get a new set of springs and friction rings installed. Price is minimal and my smith calls it the 10K Round Rebuild. Enjoy...

Kingcreek
January 26, 2002, 08:11 AM
Dave,
Would you please elaborate on "salt wood"?
I own 2 Belgian A5s but I've not heard the term. Both of mine are from the '50s and were my father's (sweet 16 and mag 20). Dad also had a beautiful A5 "light 12" but my former Bro-in-law borrowed it, broke it, was going to fix it, then somehow managed to keep it when he left with his girlfriend.
The prices on Belgian Brownings and A5s seem to vary some by locale but from what I've seen, I would say $450-$500 with the refinish. 550 might not be an unfair price on this one.
Hey Noban, it wasn't traded in by an A**hole named Bill in Iowa was it? 1933 roundknob? Haha

Dave McC
January 26, 2002, 08:20 AM
No expert on this, but....

Sometimes, I believe in the late 60s, Browning used some wood that had been soaked or cured in a salt brine. The salt managed to work out of the wood and rust the metal hidden inside the receiver and forearm. Naturally, those shotguns used in wet climes had the worst damage. Browning attempted to make good, but an occassional one still turns up.

The salt guns total a very small fraction of Browning's output.

I believe most of the salt guns were still quite usable, but the presence of salt wood does lower the value.

beagle1
January 26, 2002, 10:04 AM
Hi All,
Am new to this computer stuff and learning a lot from the various BB.I have seen comments on the saltwood but only in regards to the use of it on some over and unders.Did they in fact use some on the A5s ??