PDA

View Full Version : My first antique rifle

PreserveFreedom
January 25, 2002, 09:04 PM
Well I went anf bought my first antique rifle today. It's a Turkish 8mm Mauser. I am planning on giving it some TLC and making it look purty. :) I ordered a new stock from Sportsman's Guide to go on it. Here's the delima. It looks like part of what is holding the old stock on is a spanner nut. Where can I get what I need to get it off? Any opinions or questions?

Salt
January 25, 2002, 09:11 PM
You ought to buy a few cases of that Turkish 8mm ammo while it is still available.

dfaugh
January 25, 2002, 09:21 PM
I just use a sturdy pair of needlenose pliers...crude but it works!

sleeping dog
January 25, 2002, 10:57 PM
That is not holding the stock on. It's just there to absorb and spread recoil from the receiver's recoil lug. It's one metal chunk that's best left alone - you can mess up the stock trying to remove it. The other metal to leave alone, if you have it, is the firing pin removal bushing that goes through the buttstock.

With luck, your new stock will have it already installed, or it's a black plastic stock that won't need it.

For complete teardown instructions, head over to http://www.milsurpshooter.com, to the Turkish Mauser forum, and at the top of the page is a link to the Turk Mauser Overhaul pages.

There's tricks to getting the two stock bands off, and the site explains them.

Regards.

sleeping dog
January 25, 2002, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah, I don't know if that site makes it clear, but the first step in disassembly (after making sure that it's not loaded) is to remove the cleaning rod if you have one. You cannot depress the front ring retaining spring if the rod is in there.

k77/22rp
January 26, 2002, 12:56 PM
yea that is best left alone, it doesnt need to come off for the wood to be removed. All you got to do is flip it over and take out the 2 screws, one behind the trigger guard and one infront of the magazine's floor plate. then unscrew the cleaning rod, take the rings off, on mine there was a pin going through the rings, Just hit it out with a punch, but I've heard of them being different.
and if memory serves me right, the bbled action should lift out.

oh, and be careful with the handguard, it is prone to breaking when making it "purdy" :)

RBK
January 27, 2002, 07:30 PM
Turk Mauser? Heck, I thought you were talkin real antique like Springfield Trapdoor or Bess. Turk Mauser is plumb modern as far as I'm concerned!