PDA

View Full Version : Which 303 British ammo penetrates most? Least?

Oleg Volk
January 25, 2002, 02:17 PM
I have some British surplus, some Greek and South African 303. I am curious if anyone has done testing on the accuracy,penetration of these? Do any sources of 303 AP exist?

Salt
January 25, 2002, 09:24 PM
For least penetration I would assume you need HP and softpoint hunting ammo. Cast lead bullets at low velocity (BP or pyrodex loads) could be best for least penetration.

Standard FMJ loads will penetrate much more than the above.

If it exists, AP would penetrate the most.

Ceol Mhor
January 25, 2002, 11:52 PM
AP .303 exists. I have some, and I know an Enfield collector who confirmed its existence to me. Black-painted tip, as usual. The headstamp (of the WW2 British production stuff) was the year and W-something (Another letter, I can't remember exactly which one, and my ammo's not on hand to look at. If Ronin308 reads this, he could take a look at it and tell us), and had a green-colored primer sealer.

ronin308
January 26, 2002, 11:01 AM
They have RED colored primer seals, where's your head at Ceol Mhor!? :) Black tipped. The headstamps are mixed. I don't really find any signifigance in the headstamps though. Here's few:
1)K2 G2 45
2)R(then an upward arrow)1 1944 II O
3)MF VII 1941

Most of the bag are numbers 1 & 2.

Ceol Mhor
January 26, 2002, 03:50 PM
:o :eek: Um...well, what I mentioned was what my friend described to me. I guess mine was produced somewhere other than England (Canada, Australia, etc)...