PDA

View Full Version : altering tube feed capacity on levergun

speed
January 24, 2002, 08:27 PM
I am interested in purchasing a model 39a 22 cal marlin levergun
but living in nyc we are limited to a 5 round capacity on all longarms.

I wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to insert a dowel or similar device to limit tube mag capacity yet not do it permanantly so when I leave city limits I can remove it and have the extra rounds for plinking and whatnot?

.................................speed............................

James K
January 24, 2002, 10:26 PM
Good God, what kind of silly laws will they think of next! Yes, you should be able to take the inner magazine tube apart and block it with a dowel or rod to keep the follower from going in far enough to insert more than 5 rounds into the outer tube. Or you could drill a crossways hole and insert a pin to do the same thing.

It should be possible to make this reversible unless the law requires it be permanent. You could also block one tube to 5 rounds, and buy another to keep outside the city.

Maybe they need a law that reads, "No one shall run an airplane into a building in New York City..." That should really be effective.

Jim

speed
January 24, 2002, 10:43 PM
Please bear with me .................how difficult is it to change tubes?
Do I need special tools ? ..........Will it take long?

George Stringer
January 25, 2002, 07:59 AM
Speed, they're talking about the inner mag tube. The one that you pull out when you load the rifle. Takes about 2 seconds to change it. George

Joe Portale
January 26, 2002, 02:18 PM
Speed,

I know this isn;t the same type of firearm, but the principle will be the same. A little while ago I picked up a Mossberg 500 for a "take into the desert shotgun". Like I do with all new guns, I went to the range to check it out. For the life of me, I couldn't understand why the magazine would not accept more than two shells. I re-read the instructions to see if I missed something. Lo and behold, there it was, "Legal for sale in NYC and Kalifornia". I unscrewed the magazine and inside the magazine spring, just behind the follower was a wooden dowel. Out came the dowel, mag capaicty restored. You may find that the rifle you are considering is already altered to conform to the People's Republic of New York's idiocy if you buy it in Manhattan.

James K
January 26, 2002, 10:45 PM
Hi, Joe,

That magazine plug is also needed to conform to federal wildlife laws, which limit shotguns to three shots for hunting migratory birds. Some states also have the same limit for small game. The only difference for CA and NYC, I would think, is that the plug is already installed, where the guns used to be shipped with the plug in the box.

Jim

dfaugh
January 30, 2002, 08:15 PM
EVen though I live in Upstate NY(no 5 round law), bought a Mossberg Special Purpose, had plug already installed....I couldn't figure out why it would only take 5 rounds, for a couple minutes either....

Truly dumb law....I can kill ya as easy with one bullet as 5, if so determined....but if I gotta defend myself I prefer 30 or so!