PDA

View Full Version : FEG PJK-9HP

Billy
January 23, 2002, 09:05 PM
I'm not a Browning Hi-Power fan but I just came from my favorite dealer yesterday & he got on display this FEG 9mm HP clone. He wants $269.00 for it. When I picked it up, it was the best handgun that fitted my hands. He got an original HP that he just sold for $550.00. Should I get this FEG ? Any opinions ? Thanks !

Inspector Callahan
January 23, 2002, 09:11 PM
I had an FEG Hi-Power in '95 and didn't like it for many reasons. I don't want to discourage you from getting one, however. I've been hearing good things about the recent ones. But the price on the one you seen is about seventy bucks too high. They routinely sell for two hundred bucks around here. Look around and find a better price.

Regards.

M-2
January 23, 2002, 09:29 PM
Your not a HP fan because you never owned one. :eek: The BHP is better made but for $189-$220 the FEG is ok. I think the Arcus has better metal but not as pretty. A good HP like a "T" series with always go up in value where the FEG wont.

Yes, nothing fits the hand like a Browning High Power, NOTHING!;) M-2

neal bloom
January 23, 2002, 11:17 PM
I have a BHP and a FEG PJK-9HP. While they look similar there is a difference in quality. The FEG is a little rough around the edges. While it shoots fine it just doesn't handle like the Browning. Creepy, gritty trigger pull. Really hard to disassemble. I've shot more FEG's than I have BHPs. Bottom line: It is not a Browning BHP.

I agree with looking around as $200-$220 is the going price I've seen lately.

Check out the forum at www.fnhipower.com for more info on the FEG.

MuzzleBlast
January 24, 2002, 10:11 AM
I have one. It's rough, but it works, and has been working flawlessly for over 3k rounds. They're an honest-to-god bargain. That dealer wants about $69 too much, though.

k5blazer
January 24, 2002, 10:28 AM
Neal,

You are right, they are not a Browning. I bought my wife one for Christmas. It is rough around the edges and looks like a child painted the front sight dot, the mag feels sloppy, but it is as accurate as she is (she is good, shows me up me all the time). It does not fit my hand like the Browning either. For the money it was a good deal. She really liked my Browning but I won't pay $600.00 for a new one. Can't find any in the part of New Mexico where we live. Bottom line is that she likes it and shoots well with it. Will it last forever, that remains to be seen. Would I buy another, that remains to be seen too.

Billy,

We paid $220.00 for a brand new one so you might want to look around.

Dave R
January 24, 2002, 12:07 PM
My experience is a little better than these reports. But I got mine in late '99. I wonder if quality is going down? Mine has a nice trigger, takes down easily, shoots accurately.

Note that trigger pull is affected by the finish of the magazine. The mag disconnect rubs across the surface of the mag as the trigger is pulled. With mine, the WORST trigger pull is with the FEG supplied mag.

Try the FEG with a Browning or Mec-Gar mag, or with the KRD 17-rounders. I predict you'll have a much better trigger pull.

I paid $225 for mine and I think its a great value. Billy, ask the gun shop if you can dry-fire it with a Browning mag in to check trigger pull, and field strip it once to check fit & finish. If its crappy, don't get it. If its not, you'll enjoy it a lot.

Tropical Z
January 24, 2002, 01:37 PM
Recently i saw an article in a gun magazine (?) where they customized a FEG and Browning Hi-Power and when all was said and done the FEG was the one that functioned perfectly while the Browning had some issues.My FEG fp-9 and p9rz both cost me $200.00 and are great guns.Check out Century Internationals website and bring in a p9rz if you want a compact 9mm.Its a great quality shooter.:cool:

johnwill
January 24, 2002, 07:44 PM
I have the PJK-9HP, and it's a fine gun. I paid $219 for it at a gunshow a couple years back, and I rate it easily worth what they're asking you today. If I spot one at a reasonable price, I'll buy another! :)

stans
January 25, 2002, 07:32 AM
The magazine article was in American Handgunner, just a few months ago at most.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 25, 2002, 09:11 AM
Recently i saw an article in a gun magazine (?) where they customized a FEG and Browning Hi-Power and when all was said and done the FEG was the one that functioned perfectly while the Browning had some issues.

I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say with this anecdote. Could you clarify? Were you pointing out that a bad custom job can render an otherwise reliable pistol like the Browning less effective than an FEG or were you suggesting that the inability of someone to work on the Browning suggests superior reliability in the FEG?

Dave R
January 25, 2002, 11:33 AM
I'm familiar with the article.

The author was saying that the gunsmith thought the internals of the FEG were fine. He didn't find a need to change them when building up the custom gun.

Tropical Z
January 25, 2002, 12:53 PM
And if my memory serves me right,the Browning had issues before and after customizing!

stans
January 26, 2002, 09:29 AM
After customizing, the FEG was 100% reliable, the Browning had some failures to feed, if memory serves. Neither gun was originally designed to have the barrel and slide shortened. Short barrels and slides tend to be less reliable in feeding due to the increased angle of the barrel when the slide is retracted.

gryphon
January 26, 2002, 10:21 AM
If you've all seen my psost before, you know that I am always looking for a bargain that will rival that of the name branders. My favorite buddy in the whole world is always buying the name brand stuff. I shot his tuff, then go out and try to find something just as good but for less. So far I have succeeded in 2 counts. My Charles Daly 1911 can shoot just as good as his Kimber, and his Browning Hi Power has nothing on my FEG. Albeit, I had to take the FEG to a gunsmith and have that pesky mag safety removed. While the FEg is not a Browning or FN Hi-Power, it is definitely worht the money, and I am very accurate and pleased with it.

The only downside I have is KBI. The pistolsmiths they employ have not impressed me in the least, so I take everything that I buy from KBI to my local gunsmith.

DaveH
January 26, 2002, 11:14 AM
Re: the American Handgunner article. Both guns developed problems in testing. Due to the shortened slides, recoil spring life was in the 400 round range. On the FEG: "Testing of the FEG pistol was largely uneventful until near the end when it, too, began to be reluctant to go fully into battery."
These were truly custom guns which were shortened in every dimension.
This is not a true measure of FEG or BHP quality.
The guns were modified by Cylinder & Slide.

Yodar
January 27, 2002, 10:03 AM
Gryphon:

There's a NEW F.E.G. Importer in Plant City Fla.
http://www.ssmedwi.com/new_page_1.htm

He currently has a nice batch of FEG-Hi Power Clones in .45 acp in the $249.00 range... Saw 'em first 10 years ago on some Century Lit. and didn't find any I could fondle till the lake City Gun Collectors' show recently. on first use I found it accurate and very tight...really needs to be broken in to loosen up the controls. Trigger has NO creep or excess travel...like breaking glass. My bifocals will demand more visible sights...the dots are all blurred together.

He also snarfed up a cancelled South African Police order of FEG's that are being advertised in SGN. ($189) Nice, well built heavy .380 autos superficially resembling the PPK with a nice silver RSA constabulary seal. Buddy of mine bought two, one for carry and one for wife to carry.

(I think it's FEG's PA63)

Yodar (in Orlando)

GWC
January 28, 2002, 12:30 PM
The 2 custom "compact" guns in the american handgunner article I believe were first attempts by cylinder & slide to make custom "compact" hi-powers similar to what Art Leckie does (used to be Behlert's). You definitely can't used this as a measure of either's reliabilty (and I have several BHP's and a recently acquired FEG-PJK I just shot 1st time this weekend- BTW, shoots straight when I do what I'm supposed to, but trigger a bit "stiff"). BHP mags work in the FEG, but not the other way around with mine anyway. for $220 to 230 a nice range shooter for sure.