PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Glock

ese03f
January 23, 2002, 01:18 PM
I've posted this on Glocktalk but I wanted to post it here as well to get another perspective on my question.

I'm a long time Walther P5C owner looking to switch over to a Glock as my main pistol. This will be my first Glock and I want to make sure that I choose the right one for my needs. I'm looking for a .40 cal Glock that can compete in IPSC as well being a good tactical and self-defence gun.

I've read many good things about the G35 but I think that it may be a little too large for carry. What do you think?

How does the accuracy of the G22 and the G23 compare to the G35? I'm wondering if there is a site that has the grouping measurements for all the guns that I've listed.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

AndABeer
January 23, 2002, 01:27 PM
I have carried a G35 as well as a G34 in the past with no problems. However I live in a state that does not crucify you if you are caught "printing" or otherwise flash your CCW so I didn;t worry about complete concealability too much. My G35 is fairly accurate, but my 9mm Glocks edge it out. Compared to the 22/23, the G35 has a lighter trigger installed so you may consider that an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your personal philosophy of carry handguns.

blades67
January 23, 2002, 01:48 PM
When I wanted a .40 caliber Glock I bought a 20.

Bob Locke
January 23, 2002, 01:51 PM
I own and carry a G19, which is the same size as the G23.

IMO, it's the best combination of size and capacity that Glock makes, and I can get COM hits out to 50 yards with it so accuracy just isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned.

stick
January 23, 2002, 02:00 PM
Your size, body shape, manor of dress and holster selection will determine if YOU can conceal a specific handgun. Some people can CC a Glock 34/35 and some can't.

The "inherent" accuracy difference of the various sized Glock (in the same caliber with quality ammo) is almost non-existent. You may be able to shoot one of them better due to sight radius, weight distrbution, etc. or a certain ammo load may perform better in one. Head for the range and give them a try. Pick the one that works the best for YOU.

You should be able to use any of them in competition. Keep an eye on the rules to figure out which class(es) are appropriate for your gear.

twoblink
January 23, 2002, 03:06 PM
I own a Steyr M40, which I find personally to be superior ergonomically to the Glocks. For me, if I bought a glock for general use, I'd go Glock 35. If I wanted one for sometimes CCW, then a Glock 23 is a great compromise. If I REALLY wanted a CCW gun though, Kahr P40 is the obvious choice. My $0.02, (or $0.000034625 after federal, state, local, FICA, SSI, luxury taxes..)

Albert

Kermit
January 23, 2002, 03:28 PM
I like the mid size Glocks the most. The 23's & 19's just seem to be a good compromise for informal target shooting and concealed carry.
If you know you're gonna use this thing to compete, get the 34 or 35. For not much more money than the 19 or 23, you get a nice set up :)

Marko Kloos
January 23, 2002, 03:36 PM
The mid-sized Glocks (Models 19 in 9mm, 23 in .40, and 32 in .357SIG) are probably the best overall size in the Glock lineup. They carry and conceal very well, and they still allow a full grip and decent sight radius. They also hold a lot of bullets for guns of their size when using pre-ban magazines.

Erik
January 23, 2002, 07:18 PM
Mid sized Glocks a la the 19 and 23 are ideal, imo.

I prefer my cartridges to begin with the number '4,' and therefor prefer the 23.

I'm still waiting for Glock to come up with a 45acp the same size as the 19 and 23. As far as Glocks go, that would be about perfect.

Inspector Callahan
January 23, 2002, 07:22 PM
What I don't understand is the fact that they can stuff 13 rounds in an itty-bitty Glock 23, yet they can only put 11+1 in a full-size Beretta. What's up wit dat?

1goodshot
January 24, 2002, 06:41 AM
I carry the glock 22 cocealed with no problem.The accuracy is not great but good enough for self defence, and I can hit my targets when I practice most of the time. The long slide version maybe more accurate, I don't know :)

snappy
January 24, 2002, 07:35 AM
Get the black one:D Seriously, I have a GLOCK 19 that is a joy to shoot and carry. Probably the ideal nine in my never to be humble opinion.

Marko Kloos
January 24, 2002, 08:27 AM
I'm still waiting for Glock to come up with a 45acp the same size as the 19 and 23. As far as Glocks go, that would be about perfect.

They do: it's called the Glock 36. The frame dimensions in length and height are virtually identical to the 9mm/.40 midsize frames. The Glock 36 is even thinner by a hair.

.357SIG
January 24, 2002, 08:41 AM
I'm waiting for them to come out with a Compact GLOCK in .45 that is almost exactly the same as the G19 (not an overgrown sub-compact). Something tells me I'll be waiting a long time.