PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ?

VVG
January 22, 2002, 12:39 PM
Anyone ever bench .45 230 gr FMJfor accuracy?
What's best? I assume the most accurate loads are 185 gr semi wadcutters but like to shoot the 230 gr ball.

Snowdog
January 22, 2002, 01:41 PM
Truth be known, I've never even tried SWCs from any of my .45s, but I must say that it must have to give some spectacular improvements over what I'm currently using to justify the price (factory fodder).

I currently use S&B 230gr hardball for range sessions. I originally chose this particular load due to the price, but later found that all my .45acp handguns love it, especially the Kimber Custom Classic.

WESHOOT2
January 22, 2002, 02:38 PM
There is only 'best in YOUR gun'.

Fact.

Try Pro Load, Black Hills, Georgia Arms.

Overall best in most guns is CCI Blazer aluminum-cased ammo.

9mmepiphany
January 22, 2002, 06:25 PM
over the years i've used the federal 230gr match loading as my default accuracy standard.

i figure the weight should always put it on paper with fixed sights, the shape always feeds and the consistency/quality control limits ammo variences

Redlg155
January 22, 2002, 06:30 PM
I agree, each gun is individual in its preferences.

I shoot a lot of S&B also, my G30 loves the stuff. Otherwise I shoot UMC or white box Winchester. I can't afford the high dollar loads.

Good Shooting
RED

Gewehrmutter
January 22, 2002, 08:07 PM
There is only 'best in YOUR gun'.

Amen

Archer1440
January 22, 2002, 08:13 PM
With the truth of what's said above in mind, I personally have found the Pro Load "qualifier" FMJ .45/230 to be verrrry consistent for velocity and impact. Clean too.

gryphon
January 22, 2002, 09:19 PM
My gun will shoot the cheap stuff just as well as the expensive stuff. It likes Blazers and PMC, with a slight edge going to the PMC because I have yet to have a flier with it.

lonegunman
January 22, 2002, 09:27 PM
WESHOOT2 is totally correct... it depends on the gun though.

In general I have found S&B 230g FMJs to be very accurate out of more than one gun.

Ledbetter
January 22, 2002, 10:20 PM
S&B. No PMC for me.

Flattop
January 22, 2002, 11:39 PM
I have to jump on the S&B bandwagon myself. Have put 3 cases thru my .45 and have no complaints at all. Shoots straight and goes bang every time.

blades67
January 23, 2002, 12:10 AM
PMC and Winchester do it for me.

RT13
January 23, 2002, 05:29 AM
I normally use 230 grain FMJ's for my Sig P220 and P220ST. I have used Federal, PMC, Blazer, and Fiocchi on them. I like the quality of the Fiocchi and the Federal best. But I find that accuracy seems to go toward Blazer and PMC. Fiocchi is known to be a bit hotter. I feel an extra kick when I use it over PMC and Blazer. And my groupings seem better with the Blazer and PMC. They seem to be a bit more tamed down as far as muzzle break and recoil goes. But I just don't know. Maybe a bad day at the range or who knows?

1goodshot
January 23, 2002, 07:34 AM
5.6gr of unique under a 230gr ball

VVG
January 23, 2002, 08:31 AM
Guys, I was looking more for group sizes off a bench rest. Everything I've tried shoots 4" groups offhand at 25 yards through my SIP P220. But some brands get to four inches with a 2"-3" group and one flyer, while some of the other brands seem to be dispersed throughout the the 4" circle. (And flyers could well be my marksmanship...) So far, Winchester seems a little more accurate than the Federal American or Magtech. The local stores don't stock S&B .45. PMC is out, too much muzzle flash.
TIA

lonegunman
January 23, 2002, 08:47 AM
VVG, there are a lot of places to buy S&B online, such as www.cheaperthandirt.com

If all your ammo is grouping the same, maybe your gun or shooting technique is to blame (not trying to disparage you or your gun).

4" groups at 25 yds is plenty adequate for a defensive weapon, and if you are getting 2 or 3 " groups, you really shouldnt complain at all, unless you are shooting a custom gun...

Rickmeister
January 23, 2002, 11:41 AM
My gun or yours?

230 gr Federal and PMC FMJs work best in my (production) Kimber Gold Match.

Lavan
January 23, 2002, 12:18 PM
in HARDBALL, the Blazer cheapies group the best.

In SWC, the IMI match FMJ wadcutters are pretty good.

But BEST is the 185 gr speer lead SWC in front of 3 gr Bullseye.

VVG
January 29, 2002, 02:27 PM
Gun Tests to the rescue! Just got their year-end review, with several tests of the P220. The Winchester 230 gr FMJ shot the best groups (less than 2" at 25 yards, as I recall). That's consistent with what I've seen, so my quest is over for now.

lonegunman
January 29, 2002, 02:46 PM
VVG: now you just need to buy the Sig 220 that Gun Tests used to test that ammo...

Your results with the same ammo in a different gun may well vary.

Thats the problem with Gun Tests in general. They make broad sweeping conclusions based on inadequate data gathering.

Mike11b
January 29, 2002, 02:52 PM
The Wolf stuff has performed well for me.....

Snowdog
January 29, 2002, 02:59 PM
I've got to a agree with lonegunman here; what works well in their particular P220 may spray all over the target out of yours.

If you've tested this for yourself and you're happy with what you've found, then you've found your load. Trial and error is the only way to be sure.

Thats the problem with Gun Tests in general. They make broad sweeping conclusions based on inadequate data gathering.

And that's precisely why I didn't renew my subscription. One of their samples goes to pot and they damn the whole lot.

RT13
January 30, 2002, 05:18 AM
With my P220 blued, it loved CCI Blazer and shot pretty accurately. It also likes PMC and Fiochhi, but Fiochhi seems to be hot and tends to go left quite abit more.

With my P220ST, I used PMC on my first trip to the range, and it loves it. I had excellent groupings and it was very accurate. My second trip to the range, I used Fiochhi, and I was disappointed. My shots were going low left and groupings were not that good. I am heading out for the third range trip with my P220ST next week. I am bringing these following ammos to conduct a test and range report testing which I will post. All will be 230g FMJ or TMJ's.

Sellier & Bellot
Lawman SPEER
Fiochhi
PMC

Baron Holbach
October 18, 2002, 05:10 PM
The accuracy of CCI Blazer .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ ammo through my Sig P220 was horrible. But then I got the opposite results with Winchester white box govt ammo through my Sig P220. The Blazer ammo's accuracy was superb through my Beretta Cougar .45 ACP.:confused:

HerbG
October 18, 2002, 10:58 PM
G.I. Match ammo is very hard to beat in every .45 I've tried it in. Of course, it's also hard to come by these days.

Bob Locke
October 19, 2002, 06:07 AM
After trying a couple of boxes of most every standard factory load (ah, the joys of working at a gun shop...), my Glock 21 decided that it likes PMC and S&B about the same.

And it HATES Wolf, which is fine by me because the odor that powder gives off when it burns just offends the crap out of my nostrils.

VVG
October 19, 2002, 12:13 PM
Well, this thread started nearly a year ago, since then I've tried Winchester, MagTech, S&B, and Federal American Eagle.

In my SIG P220, the AE is best, followed by Winchester, Magtech, and S&B. Winchester and S&B seem the dirtiest. So I bought 500 rounds of AE at a local shop for $100 in cash.

I also have tried AE and Magtech in a 1944 Remington Rand M1911A1, and again the AE shoots better. Both shoot about 6" above POA at 15 yards, though, in that pistol.

I'll have a Sistema Colt next week to try out as well.

caz223
October 19, 2002, 07:33 PM
My H&K usp compact is accurate with everything I have used, but best accuracy seems to come with PMP 220 hardball from denel.
It's not a weak load, either.