PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a quality integral Tac-Lite/Pump handle for my Mossberg 590?

Hook_N_Bullet
January 22, 2002, 10:51 AM
I saw one listed in Guns & Ammo (or similar Magazine) once, but can't seem to find anything like it from Wilson, Brownells, etc.

The one I saw had the light molded into the pump handle, it wasn't a clamp on.

Any help mucho appreciated!

MikeWrite
January 22, 2002, 11:40 AM
Check out www.surefire.com, and click on "weapon lights." They make the item you desire.

Mike

jimsbowies
January 23, 2002, 02:35 PM
Just looked at Surefire's site. They want $254.00 for their temporary-on forearm system for a 870 Remington and $384.00 for the temp-on and constant on system, same gun.

Christ, the damned shotgun barely cost that much!

I'll carry my flashlight in my hand, thank you very much!:barf: :barf: :D

Aahzz
January 23, 2002, 02:45 PM
Jimsbowies - considering I was looking at 870s in WalMart for $255, I agree with you 100%!!! Talk about overpriced......which is, of course, why I still rely on my Maglites. No, they're not as bright or compact as Surefire, but I can afford to have one in every room in my house.

jimsbowies
January 23, 2002, 03:17 PM
I've got an Executive E-2 Surefire and it is truly wondrous....but even at that, it's only $80.00 bucks....steep for a flashlight but you know "boys gotta have toys". But by merely sticking one of them into the end of a shotgun forearm doesn't transform it into a$384.00 item.....

Hell, I've a nice roll of duct tape. that'll do the same...:):D

swsurgeon
January 23, 2002, 06:27 PM
I shopped around on the net and got the Surefire forend for a lot less. Since the source may have been Botach, I hesitate to recommend going there.

I got the 9v forend and it is amazing. When you think about how much more versatile it makes a shotgun, especially in low light conditions where most of your problems are likely to occur, it really is a valuable accessory.

C.R.Sam
January 23, 2002, 07:21 PM
I don't want my gun pointed at somebody till I have decided to shoot em.

Room lights work. Backup lights work when power is out.

Sam

swsurgeon
January 23, 2002, 08:06 PM
I've seen this debate on the forums before and don't really want to re-argue it. My Surefire throws a broad enough beam to allow me to identify a source of noise in the dark without pointing directly at it. However, a significant reason why I put the Surefire on a 590 Mariner is because I carry the gun on wilderness trips in Alaska, Northern Canada, and other areas with high bear populations. During seasons in which the "midnight sun" doesn't provide light most of the night, the Surefire helps deter curious bears. In the highly unlikely event of an aggressive bear, it would definitely help with targeting. (I also installed a tritium front bead by Meprolight.)

DML
January 24, 2002, 03:07 AM
:D

I always get a laugh out of posts like this. I do not intend to insult anyone, but there are folks who buy the finest English and Italian shotguns and there are those who buy Mossbergs.

When I quote prices for work on an 870 or 11-87 I get two reactions. One is "WHAT!!! That's 3 times what I paid for the gun!!!. The other is "OK, what else can I do to it? How much can I spend?"

Some people eat steak and some eat hamburger. I hold neither in distain, but don't ridicule those who want the good stuff and are willing to pay for it.

Hook_N_Bullet
January 24, 2002, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all the posts guys, I'm definitely sticking with the Integral light. Price wasn't in question.

I figure if I ever have to deal with goblins in the house, I don't want to be dropping a flashlight on my foot in the moment of truth!!

I'll shell out for the Sure-fire, and be content that it will not interfere with my handling of the gun.

Thanks again!

dZ
January 24, 2002, 05:07 PM
someone makes a sidesaddle rig with a plug insert with a flashlight holder

i think i saw it in Brownells

swsurgeon
January 24, 2002, 05:56 PM
That's true. It allows you to mount a small light in one of the sidesaddle holders. The problem is that you don't get the instantaneous/momentary switching capability that the Surefire offers. That is one of the key features in the LEO light training, according to a couple friends of mine who are on SWAT or dangerous warrant service teams.

9mmMike
January 24, 2002, 07:58 PM
These guys make a neat picatinny rail system that is much cheaper than the pump handle light. It is a bolt/clamp on but it is very solid and well-made. A nice alternative IMHO.
http://sidearmor.net/
Mike

oops. Erick beat me to this one. Well, it's still a good mount.

ericthecurdog
January 25, 2002, 02:15 PM
Thinking about upgrading my 870...

A $384 light on a $255 gun?

Sounds like a good idea. I'll do it as soon as I pay off my $2500 wheels on my $6000 car. < /sarcasm>

Hook_N_Bullet
January 25, 2002, 02:36 PM
Eric, the wheels might be worth it if they kept you from getting your chest ventilated ;)