PDA

View Full Version : Who says a Hi-Point Carbine is hard to clean?

Big Al
January 18, 2002, 10:39 AM
Just cleaned out my new Christmas present yesterday - followed the instructions, and with the exception of one reversal in the instruction manual, it went really smoothly. Just unbolt the shroud, drift the clip off the bottom, pop off the shrouds, unscrew the front sling swivel, pull out the reciever/barrel/trigger group, drift back the retainer clip on the rear underside of the triggergroup, and take the reciver slide off. Easy as pie. The only thing I didn't like was that the reciver slide had to be slid all the way up the barrel and the muzzle attachments would have had to be removed to take off the reciver slide. I just wrapped the barrel with a cloth and let the reciver slide sit on that, next to the muzzle, while I cleaned it out.

Lots of casting marks and rough surfaces - perfect for a "dremel gunsmith" like me. Another thing I don't like is that the trigger parts are inaccessible - there's a retaining plate riveted over the parts, I guess to keep them from being removed or lost. I'd like to get in there and polish everything mirror-smooth. But the feed ramp and slide to reciver contact points should be easy to get at.

One thing I'm wondering - I have a red-dot scope mounted on the reciver shroud. Now that I've taken it off and put it back on, should I have to resight it, or should it be back in line where it was?

-AL-

TonyPoulos
January 18, 2002, 01:15 PM
Glad you went 1st, Big Al. I too bought one over the holidays. The manual says virtually nothing about cleaning, and I was planning to lock the bolt open and blast it with WD-40 and run a bore snake through it.

I've heard to wait till about 500rds to clean it to let it smooth out. So far I'm at 50.

I also have the BSA Red Dot, as well as the laser/compensator assembly. I suppose if I ever remove it, I'll mark it so I can reposition it exactly. But I still think you have to re-sight it. Hate to assume and then miss a critical shot on a tin can.:)

Tony

Big Al
January 18, 2002, 05:20 PM
Tony, be careful what you blast it out with - I've heard solvents will literally melt the plastic trigger. Where did you get yours? Mine was a package offered to the county deputies here. My future father in law picked me up one with all the stuff we've mentioned plus a soft case, butt padd w/ magazine holsters and five mags. He gave 100$ for the whole setup. Where did you get yours? I've got buddies who are drooling for the same package.

-AL-

TonyPoulos
January 18, 2002, 07:49 PM
Big Al. you got the deal of the century. I bought mine from www.guwholesale.com for $160 with the red dot.

Then I bought the laser/compensator for about $60 from Hi-Point.

The laser is a lot of fun. And the carbine has been 100% reliable so far. I'd trust it in a defensive situation.

Tony