PDA

View Full Version : Utah Tfl Gathering!

George Hill
January 13, 2002, 05:56 PM
It's been too long since our last one!
Lets plan one.

MiniZ
January 13, 2002, 08:19 PM
I'm game! I'd like to see the group again!!

yorec
January 13, 2002, 08:21 PM
Lessee now, my days off are....

Here's to hoping I can make this'n!

Jamie Young
January 13, 2002, 10:45 PM
Do you guys have any restrictions on shooting distance out there?
Like 1000-1500yds?
If you guys have one of these in the Spring I might think about a road trip to visit My brother. I'd like to take some of My stuff out there and see what I can hit. Oh and Hang out in Utah with Fellow TFL members:)

George Hill
January 14, 2002, 01:24 AM
We have a 1,000 yards or so at our spot... "The Bowl". That will do just fine, wont it?

Jamie Young
January 14, 2002, 09:02 AM
Sure:)

Quartus
January 14, 2002, 10:22 AM
I'll keep an eye on the planning of this one. I hope to return to civilization about the end of the month. I'd like to get together for this one. It's about time I got to see if George is as ugly as everyone says he is!

;)

And after 2 months in the P.R.C. I'm very ready to do some shooting!

There's a street vendor that wanders around here selling maps and posters. He's got a nice big one of the beloved Chairman Mao. Think I'll see how much he wants for 'em. Maybe I can pick up a few...

I think I know a few folks in Utah that could use some target practice!

:D

George Hill
January 14, 2002, 11:23 AM
I'm the best looking of the bunch! :D
http://home.nordnet.fr/~lkokot/sfutils/chewbaca.gif

Doug444
January 14, 2002, 02:40 PM
Good likeness, George:) :) ! You folks won't recognize me when you see me again - little surprise. My weekends fill up fast between Scouts and Hunter Ed. stuff, but amazingly enough February is quite open! Might be fun to have a gathering during the Olympics - might give any would-be terrorists something to wonder what all that shooting's about, or have a visit from some of the biathaloners! Or get the attention of local Oly security:( .

This Olympic stuff crimps my style. Let me know what gets planned.

Doug444

Goet
January 14, 2002, 02:40 PM
Me thinks George has Spring Fever.

Wait till tonight. It will snow, and continue to snow throughout the week.

Then we'll see how many people want to go...:p

George Hill
January 14, 2002, 03:54 PM
Snow? Just keeps the barrels cooler.

Quartus
January 15, 2002, 06:39 AM
Hmmmm. Olympic security. Very real terrorism threat. Paranoid wannabe temporary security guards. Paranoid local populace. Paranoid (with cause) FBI, ATF, local LE, and who knows what all out looking for anything that looks like it MIGHT be trouble.

And a bunch of weird looking people (and a wookie) out in the hills shooting all manner of evil black weapons.

Is this really a good combination?

PvtPyle
January 15, 2002, 01:29 PM
Considering where we shoot? It would take a company of infantry, or heavt arty bombardments, or all of the Asspachees at airport 2 to get us out of there. It is remote and no problem If they can see us, they are in choppers which are easily downed:D

I am out of commission starting this Saturday, until the end of March. My military commitment is going to remove me from the area. I am SOOOO glad I am not in the Navy anymore. I will try to put something together in April with a few M60's, A2's and an M2 (but you buy your own ammo for the M2)

Ranges go out to just over 1200m for the long range stuff. Most ranges are 25m to 650m to the rock.

Correia
January 15, 2002, 02:10 PM
I say we go for March. Wait until after the Olympics.

It has been awhile hasn't it?

Shooting in the snow. :p I've gone 3 times this winter while the temps were well below freezing. Wool socks are a must have. :)

Oh, and Pyle may have found an alternate route to the bowl that isn't nearly as rough.

PvtPyle
January 15, 2002, 09:13 PM
No may have, I did. I wont even be back until the end on March, so if you do it beforehand take lots of pics.

I am going to put a page on my site about the shoots and dates for them. It will also have a place to sign up for helping out and what not. That way everyone, even the people that dont frequent this site can look them up.

George Hill
January 15, 2002, 10:10 PM
Better way up to the bowl? Huh? Tell Tell!

Bob Locke
January 16, 2002, 12:18 AM
What quadrant of the state is "the bowl" located in?

If it's the NE, then I may have to make a little road trip...

Doug444
January 16, 2002, 12:50 AM
Yeah, tell us the new route! Those who've been there can probably figure it out from a verbal description, so let us have it!

Bob - it's a tad south and west of Salt Lake, on the west shore of Utah lake. Close to dead center (north/south) on the west side of the lake. Not difficult to find if you get over here.

Doug444

PvtPyle
January 16, 2002, 11:54 AM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Actually I need to take someone down there and show them. Using this route you dont have to worry about bashing anything in your car, your car, or yourself up.

Correia
January 16, 2002, 02:12 PM
Why don't we just shoot (pun intended) for the end of March. Thay way Pyle is back. He knows the way up, and he is our resident undercover ATF agent. ;) (For those of you who are paranoid lurkers, I am only kidding, it is a running joke).

It should be warmer by then, and it should give us plenty of time to plan and get time off if neccesary.

PvtPyle
January 16, 2002, 07:12 PM
I would like to hold a big shoot every other month with the off months dedicated to those that want to spend the weekend training in various things. In most cases they will be cheaper, you dont shoot alot doing land nav and stuff.

We just need to decide when to start the season.

George Hill
January 16, 2002, 08:17 PM
Whenever it stops snowing. I'm an old man and the cold makes my joints hurt.

Quartus
January 17, 2002, 05:55 AM
Ah hain't been dar yet. Izzat anywhere near The Farm?

Goet
January 17, 2002, 09:25 AM
It's about 10 miles directly south from 4 corners in Lehi.

Real nice location.

PvtPyle
January 18, 2002, 10:28 AM
I have put up a page for the TFL shoots on my web page. Check it out and give me some feedback on what works for you. If you have any other suggestions then let me know as well, on the shoots and the page itself.

http://pvtpyle.com

George Hill
January 21, 2002, 06:39 PM
The dates look just fine to me.

Doug444
January 24, 2002, 06:12 PM
For all those actually interested in finding the place, you can find it by going to Topozone.com, search for Utah Lake, UT, and then zoom in just behind Pelican Point on the west side of the lake. It's actually called "Little Cove" on the map, and it shows the traditional route off of the highway. We set up just east of the fork in the trail (at least that's where my big tent STARTED OUT at the July 2001 shoot). It doesn't really show any alternate routes up, so I'm very interested in what Pvt. Pyle has found.

As to the dates, well I'll try to get up there, but between Scouts and Hunter Ed. my March-July is pretty full. Great idea scheduling the outings this far in advance, by the way. I'd really like to make some of the "field" days, as I could really use some instruction with the compass.

Doug444

Correia
January 25, 2002, 02:29 PM
Crud. I just checked. March 30th is the IDPA 3 gun match at the FARM. How about we have the TFL shoot on the 23rd?

Between the two I would go to the TFL shoot (out of loyalty to you guys of course ;) ) But 3 Gun is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

Bob Locke
January 25, 2002, 11:52 PM
Just so I'll know whether I'm looking at the right general area, is this place right off of Hwy 68?

If that's it, it looks like about a 8 or 9 hour drive for me. Maybe I can convince ol' labgrade to tag along!

The thing that stinks is that I'm directly across the map from there, but there isn't anything remotely resembling a direct route to get there!

PvtPyle
January 27, 2002, 06:46 PM
The 23rd works for me, but you guys will have to plan it out. I wont be back from duty until the 20th of March.

BTW. I bought two big tents like we had last year for these things so we will have them all the time.

George Hill
January 27, 2002, 07:19 PM
Lets bring a couple bigger grills... and more tent anchors. We don't want Correia tackling anyone else's tents! ;)

Correia
January 28, 2002, 02:05 PM
Darn tent. I coulda been a contender...

PvtPyle
January 28, 2002, 11:52 PM
Got word today that school does not end until the 26th, so I will have to take someone down and show them the back way up.

Correia
February 27, 2002, 02:07 PM
Thought I would bring this back up.

We need to set a firm date.

March 30th it the local IDPA 3 gun match.
PvtPyle (and his big tents) will not be back from training until the 26th.

Do we want to still have it in March? Or should we go for beginning of April?

Opinions?

Doug444
March 1, 2002, 10:15 AM
3/30 and 4/6 appear to work for me at this point. Right now my big tent is still available (but we DO need some anchors that will hold a parachute down!). Let's here from others.

Doug444

hjrocket
March 2, 2002, 10:55 PM
April 6th or later, so I don't have to miss any good ski days!!!:cool::rolleyes:

Caeca Invidia Es
March 18, 2002, 01:00 AM
Any firm decisions made on this? I think the 30th is the best date for me, and I actually want to make it to another one of these some time. :)

Correia
March 18, 2002, 02:09 PM
Well it looks like because of the shutdown, we aren't going to do the 23rd.

Our options then:

March 30th. Kind of soon. Also the same day as the 3 gun match at the FARM. I already made arrangements to go to that.

April 6th. Conference weekend for all of our LDS TFLers.

April 13th.

April 20th.

I'm not aware of anything going on on the 13th and the 20th.

Opinions?

I vote for the 13th or 20th.

Goet
March 18, 2002, 02:36 PM
13th or 20th would be more viable here.

MiniZ
March 18, 2002, 07:35 PM
The 13th or the 20th works for me.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
March 19, 2002, 11:05 PM
Correia stated:

Why don't we just shoot (pun intended) for the end of March. Thay way Pyle is back. He knows the way up, and
he is our resident undercover ATF agent.

We have one of them here in the TFL N.J. and P.A. get togethers also! Wouldn't be complete without someone to report what was going on. Dead! Wheeere arrrre youuuuu?:p

WVC
March 20, 2002, 11:19 PM
All the dates work for me. Even the 20th which is my anniversary.
(that will go over well with the wife…oh well)

I am taking some new shooters up there to the bowl on the 30th of March if anybody wants to meet up there.

Doug444
March 21, 2002, 01:34 PM
April 6th is do-able for me, but the 13th I'll be at YHEC (Youth Hunter Education Challenge) in Logan, and the 20th I'll be camping with my Scouts in Southern Utah. It'll never work for everyone, so just pick a date and those that can will make it.

Hell, every weekend from the 13th 'til July 30th (just about!) seems taken with something EXCEPT shooting with fellow TFLers:( .

Doug444

Correia
March 21, 2002, 02:02 PM
I just thought of something else. What day is the April Gunshow? (Isn't there one in April?)

Lets see what day that is, (13th or 20th) and do the other.

Doug, you can take the scouts camping just west of Utah lake. I know a great little spot. ;)

Correia
March 21, 2002, 07:11 PM
The Southtown gun show is on the 20th. :)

So it looks like the 13th is probably the best Saturday in April. If that is cool with you guys I can start a new thread.

Anybody hear from George?

Caeca Invidia Es
March 21, 2002, 09:29 PM
13th works for me.

George Hill
March 21, 2002, 10:16 PM
I'm keeping an eye on things... the 13th should be okay.
Anyone else heading to the bowl this Saturday?

Correia
March 21, 2002, 10:51 PM
Ok, 13th it is then. I'll start a new thread.

I wish I could go to the bowl Saturday, but I'll be in Delta visiting my folks. Yee Haw! ;) ($30 a head on coyotes in Millard County right now).