PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10-22 Woes.......

Point Blank
January 12, 2002, 10:02 AM
I am starting to think Santa brought me a lemon stain./synth. Ruger 10-22 for Christmas....i know,i must have the only lemon 10-22 in the world!!! First time out i had numerous ftf's,etc. with 3 different types of ammo. So i tore her down, removing the bolt,etc. and cleaned every square inch while looking for "problems". She does better with Stingers but i still have at least 2 mishap per 10 round mag. Almost gave up on Remington Thunderbolts and 2 different types of Winchesters.Seems like the first 2 out of a fresh mag are NEVER firing using anything but Stingers. I am not riding the bolt closed either. After i eject the first 2 misfires, i am very lucky if i can shoot 5 in a row before i get a ftf. Looking at a few misfires, the rim of the bullet looks hit, but lightly. I have tried both oiling her normally, then the bare minimum. Have 2 new Ruger mags that i am using that have been cleaned after the first disasterous outing....any idea's what may be wrong before i have to ship her back to Ruger?? I was amazed at her accuracy at 50 yards when she acted right so she is a keeper!!! Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Bullshooter
January 12, 2002, 10:09 AM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

Try this URL - almost exclusively Ruger 10-22 stuff.

TonyPoulos
January 12, 2002, 10:52 AM
PB, I'm about to take my son out with his new S/S 10/22 for the 1st time. I bought some Federal Classic 40gr copper plated to shoot.

I'll post here how it went.

Tony

Mal H
January 12, 2002, 09:30 PM
Point Blank - How does the firing pin dent look on a shell that misfired compared to one that did fire, preferably both from same box? Is the misfire dent noticebly shallower or even missing or are they about the same?

If you load a few rounds into the chamber manually do they slide in readily or do you have to push them in?

falconer
January 12, 2002, 10:44 PM
whatever you do, don't let loc-tite get into the bolt/firing pin area :D

Shawn Dodson
January 13, 2002, 12:44 AM
I had a similar problem with my 10-22. It shot fine for the first couple of thousand rounds, then began to intermittently misfire, which then progressed to consistent misfires. There was a light firing pin depression on the rim of the cartridges.

I traced the problem down to the bolt not going fully into battery. The gun would fire fine if I pressed on the bolt handle between shots to force it into battery. I took the gun home from the range, and thinking it was either just dirty or improperly lubed, I thoroughly cleaned and lubed it.

During the next trip to the range the problem recurred as soon as I began shooting it. I determined then that the factory recoil spring was defective. I ordered a replacement spring from Wolff and installed it. This corrected the problem completely.

Good luck with troubleshooting your problem.

TonyPoulos
January 13, 2002, 12:48 AM
I had 1 ftf and 1 fte in about 80 rds today. Maybe this is attributable to break-in.

Tony

sig229.357
January 13, 2002, 01:09 AM
arent you not supposed to fire stingers through a 10/22

vegeta
January 13, 2002, 01:37 AM
Never had any problems with CCI Blazers. Thunderbolts I found are very dirty, don't burn cleanly, and just all around suck.

Point Blank
January 13, 2002, 03:13 AM
Mal:
I just noticed the rims were dented but i will try shooting again and post results.Same with manually chambering bullets,thx!!

Falconer: No locktite used on scope base screws,but thx!!

Shawn: Thx..i am not ordering new springs for this brand new rifle!!! I know...i should, but i figure for $200 the thing should work for a couple years at the least!! :p

Tony: Wanna trade??:rolleyes:

Sig229: My book says i can shoot Stingers through it. That applies to the target model only, but thx!!

vegeta: at $3.69 for 50 (Stingers) this 10-22 is going to break in....or break me real fast!! I cannot get any of the .99 for 50 to work, like i was hoping for!!

sig229.357
January 13, 2002, 03:52 AM
My 10/22 has been a real dissapointment. I got a 10/22 w/ the Bell and Carlson Accurizing kit w/ Anschutz style stock and black fluted barrel. Also has extended mag release, auto bolt release, exact edge extractor, and ultra match hammer/sear, topped off w/ a Tasco Mag 4-16x40 w/ scope caps. It looks bad ass but doesn't shoot so great. I was expecting at least 1/2 MOA at 50 yards but it is very irratic. Shoots more like 1in. on average w/ the occasional .5 It gets worse and worse the longer I keep from cleaning it though. Any reccomendations on what I can do to make it more accurate?

Point Blank
January 13, 2002, 08:45 AM
Mal, took me a minute to get my fat fingers inside to see if bullet hand feeds in and out of chamber, but yes it does, goes in and out nicely...Hopefully will get the chance to shoot very soon to examine rims. Find it very funny that the Stingers did "pretty good" though compared to the other 3 brands which were all horrible!!! Cant wait to test again,thx.

TonyPoulos
January 13, 2002, 09:36 AM
PB, I'm going to run through the rest of the box of 500 rds and see what happens. My 2 relatives have rugers and like 'em. Just more time...

Tony

Hemicuda
January 14, 2002, 11:38 AM
I got a 10-22 international in stainless for christmas a couple years ago...

that danged thing wouldn't feed and like ANY ammo I tried, for about the first 200 to 300 rounds...

but my weaponsmith advised "blowing off a couple hundred" and seeing what happened...

well, after that "break in" I can feed that thing ANYTHING I want... even my pet "Standard velocity" remingtons in the blue and green box, and it ALWAYS fires and ALWAYS ejects...

2 years, and MANY bricks of ammo later, I haven't had a FTF or FTE since that first 2 to 300 rounds...

I'd try making it go bang a few hundred times and see what happens... MINE sure needed a break-in...

hksigwalther
January 14, 2002, 02:08 PM
sig229.357,

What loads are you using?

Shawn Dodson
January 14, 2002, 09:15 PM
Shawn: Thx..i am not ordering new springs for this brand new rifle!!! I know...i should, but i figure for $200 the thing should work for a couple years at the least!! If you believe your problem is caused by a defective recoil spring, I suggest you call Ruger and try to convince them into sending you a replacement recoil spring assembly. If Ruger refuses, then if it were me I'd consider the time, effort and cost of shipping the entire rifle back to Ruger versus spending $10.00 plus shipping to order a recoil spring from Wolff. I ordered the Wolff Extra Power Rifle Performance Pak for $17.00. http://www.gunsprings.com

I agree. A brand new product should work. But when it doesn't sometimes it's much easier to bite the bullet and fix things yourself than to send the whole kit and caboodle back to the factory. Especially when the fix can be a simple as replacing a faulty spring.

Freedom in theSkies
January 14, 2002, 10:52 PM
When I was a teenager, I really wanted a 10/22. I still had the urge lots of years later.
Well, I got 2 of em and I really don't know what the hype is. I am definately not impressed.
I have a Ruko 16R (semi-auto M-16 replica) and have put 10s of thousands of rounds thru it. - Yep, it gets cranky when it's dirty, but I kind of expect that in a semi.
What I found astounding was that it would reliably slay gophers at ranges up to 200yds, with a cheapo scope on it and a cheapo bipod for stability.
Don't know if they are still available, but I sure would love to get a second one...

Crimper-D
January 15, 2002, 12:33 AM
I bought a couple of new factory rotary mags. I've been shooting this rifle since I bought it new in 1980. No misfires with the 3 original purchase magazines but the new ones started collecting missfires when they started cruding up. Cleaning only stopped the process for a couple of hundred rounds...the old mags keep right on ticking with occasional maintanance.

biganimal
January 15, 2002, 01:31 AM
I bought my 1st 10/22 in 1973 and never cleaned the action until 1989. only had a misfire while useing remington thunderjunk ammo. I now have 3 10/22's and believe that dollar for dollar it is the best value in the 22 semi catagory. All of mine did need work to make em accurate.

sig229.357
January 15, 2002, 01:37 AM
all sorts and I mean ALL SORTS. From peters, to colibri, pmc, everything. Nothing shot particularly well. Even the expensive stuff.

hksigwalther
January 15, 2002, 12:35 PM
Have you tried putting the stock barrel on it just to see how well it works? (Yeah, there will be a huge gap between the forearm and the barrel.) Another trick mentioned by other posters (but haven't tried myself) is to wedge some paper or cardboard bewteen the barrel and end of the forearm so that a small bit of tension is applied to the bull barrel. I think the idea of this exercise is to dampen any harmonics or movement of the barrel during firing.

To me is sounds like a bad or loose barrel, loose scope mount, or bad scope.