PDA

View Full Version : Larry Vickers Modified Springfield??

Kentucky Rifle
January 11, 2002, 11:33 AM
The July/August issue of "American Handgunner" has a good article on the Larry Vickers modified Springfield. The article gives a pretty glowing recommendation, but does not give the price. Does anyone own one and how much (in addition to the price of the new Springfield, of course), did it cost?

Thanks,
KR

AndABeer
January 11, 2002, 11:35 AM
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

:D

Kermit
January 11, 2002, 12:14 PM
I believe in the article they mention that it was the 1st 5" custom to top the $4k mark. :eek:

9mmepiphany
January 11, 2002, 04:39 PM
i've been looking into having a "custom" 1911 put together too...i'm talking about from the ground up (or from the frame up)

my impression is approx. $3.5-4 depending on what you want done.

my current thinking is going with a basic kimber, adding a reliability package and shooting it while saving for the "full house" custom.

CastleBravo
January 11, 2002, 06:06 PM
If you use your head and just get mods that contribute to actual performance, better ergonomics, etc., you can EASILY keep the price around $1,000 + base gun and have something that, as a functional weapon, is as good as anything in existence. The $3,000-4,000 is neat but is also definitely entering the realm of looks and hype. Nothing wrong with that, but once it goes bang every time and can shoot into less than 1" at 25 yards you are just gilding the lilly as they say.

Apeach
January 11, 2002, 07:04 PM
Does anyone have a link to some information about this Larry Vickers fellow and/or his $4,000 gun? If so, it would be greatly appreciated by me.

OF
January 11, 2002, 07:25 PM
He hangs around on BCP's Pistolsmith (www.pistolsmith.com) forums, you can probably ask him questions directly right there.

- Gabe

tlhelmer
January 11, 2002, 09:12 PM
He also posts over at the 1911 forum.

dick w. holliday
January 11, 2002, 09:36 PM
why not just buy a Baer or a Wilson and shoot it -- no need to send them anywhere......Dick

mikey357
January 12, 2002, 08:25 PM
Well, 'cause a Baer or a Wilson will not have anything like the amount of hand-work and attention to detail Mr. Vickers puts into his guns...Now, does that make a "Vickers Gun" WORTH the asking price??? Depends on your priorities....mikey357

Duke
January 13, 2002, 03:23 AM
A Wilson or Baer have one advantage over a Vickers. With them you don't have to wait 4 to 5 years to get it. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a Vickers or Hienie but I don't want to wait as I prefer to shoot.:D

SNOWPIG
January 13, 2002, 02:25 PM
the whole purpose of having a custom peice is to have it done by a custom smith..dont get me wrong Bill Wilson and Les Baer are really good at what they do...but the weapon you are buying is not done by Bill Wislon or Les Baer..they are done by one of there in house smiths...Larry Vickers does all the work himself and when you look at one you will know what i am talking about
How many people onw a real Ted Yost Gunsite pistol...its a matter of having one of the finest functional peices of art that you can own....If you could afford a Carol Shelby built Cobra would you buy it or would you want a Carol Shelby designed Cobra..
yeah price and time have alot to do with it but all we have is time...