PDA

View Full Version : Robar SR-90

sig229.357
January 9, 2002, 02:04 AM
Hello eveyone
This is my first post on this board. I was wondering if any of you out there have any experience w/ the Robar SR-90. Everytime I look at it I just start to drool. I want to get it in .22-250 though. Probably an unpopular idea but 90 percent of the shooting I do is either at the range or varmint hunting so I figure that is the best way to go.

Currently I have a Remington 700 VS-SF in .22-250 with a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44. It's a bit dissapointing though. It seems that just under an inch is the avg. grouping. My friend just got a Remington 700 VS which seems like it will do .75 easily w/ quite a few .5 along the way. I know have Varmint Rifle envy.

Anyway, any comments are appreciated. The price is $2700.00 w/ supplied action. Is there any way I can bring this down. Do those types of specialty places discount their prices at all???

Thanks.

hk_cqb
January 9, 2002, 10:15 AM
Instead of plunking down a hunk of cash on a Tactical Rifle, why not just get the VS barrel setback and rechambered with a match reamer. While you're at it, make sure that the barrel channel gives enough clearance so that the barrel is truly free-floating. And last but not least, bed the action to the stock with titanium devcon or Marine-Tex.

You'll end up spending less money and get a rifle that will shoot 1/4 to 1/2 MOA all day.

There's no need to spend all that money on a hard-use rifle if all you're doing is plinking and varminting.

sig229.357
January 9, 2002, 11:20 PM
It's not just the accuracy, it's the rifle. The look, the feel, etc. The thing is awsome. Adj. cheek piece, comb, pull, palm swell, thumb rest, just awsome.

uglygun
January 9, 2002, 11:24 PM
Check out the McMillian A4 type stocks, that's basically what Robar has on their SR90 if I'm not mistaken, just slightly tweeked for use by Robar. McMillian stocks aren't cheap but combine the stock with a tuned Rem700 and you're right there without having to spend all that cash.

sig229.357
January 9, 2002, 11:44 PM
yeah, the stock is pretty much the same w/o the palm swells. Just the stock itself will run me about 700 bucks. But then how much would it cost to get my rifle accurized and who would I get to do it for me.

My other option is to send my gun to Robar and have the put the Rogaurd/NP3 coating on my gun so it is black not stainless silver (290) and then but the stock from them $850, Accurized action (210), nad then maybe a recessed crown for $65. The only thing is I'll still have the same barrel. I guess it will be "accurized" though. The real robar has a 24in barrel compared to my 26in.

I'm really not sure which option to go with. If I supply my action and pay the 2700 for the full Robar SR-90 i get teh 1/2 moa guarantee.

What do you guys thing??

uglygun
January 10, 2002, 12:43 PM
With something like a 22-250 I'd wait to just shoot out the barrel of my current Rem700 and then NEED a new barrel before I could justify spending the money to have it rebuilt. Typically Rem700s are subMOA performers as it is already if they are the syntetic stocked BDL actions like the Senderos or VS rifles, that's pretty fair performance as it is already and is a 1/2MOA 2600 dollar rifle really all that much better than a 3/4MOA 700 dollar rifle?

Don't get me wrong, I know exactly what you're thinking cause I've been through it as well. I'm gonna be getting a Remington Sendero 300WinMag soon for the purpose of long range shooting, it doesn't mean I'm gonna start off with the trick setup first thing though, gonna use up the base barrel first while developing the skill to shoot a powerful magnum accurately so that way hopefully my skills will be to the point that I can make a custom built gun perform as intended where the accuracy isn't going to waste.

A 22-250 isn't a 300WinMag in terms of recoil but they can both be barrel burners, I personally feel better when the money I pay for all that accuracy doesn't goto waste because I might not be fully capable of delivering the goods as a precision shooter.

Maybe get the barrel set back by a competent gun smith and keep it pretty much stock till you've worn through the barrel after 2000-2500 rounds or so, then have the gun rebuilt with all the trick stuff like a Hart barrel with a trued action and the stock of your choice. At that point you might consider GA Precision http://www.gaprecision.net/indexr.html and even save some money at the same time as opposed to the Robar guns.

sig229.357
January 10, 2002, 06:07 PM
I have mixed feelings. I know that I am a pretty good shooter but sometimes when I'm out there shooting squirrells (mind you that I'm not one of those guys that shoots 800 rds. a sitting) I may miss a shot and I wonder if it is me or the gun. I feel that if you have a accurate gun and then you miss you eliminate the variables. YOU missed the shot. Sometimes my brain starts spinning in all sorts of directions... Is it the ammo I'm shooting, is it the gun, should I not have shot moly, if I shoot moly and then regular is it effecting accuracy? Of course some of these may not be a real consideration but when your out in the field you just start to wonder. You know??

And again, just look at the thing. WOW :) hehe