PDA

View Full Version : M1

Khornet
January 8, 2002, 12:43 PM
Just got my first M1! It's a Korean-era H&R with RIA rework in 1965 , SA 1965 barrel, SA trigger group, nice stock, brilliant bore, Parkerizing in great shape. This is the first time I've been able to get to know these guns up close, and it strikes me:
Isn't this about the strangest mechanism you've ever seen on a rifle? Especially the design of the magazine/clip/follower arrangement? It's really cool; I keep opening the action and looking inside like an idiot. It does seem that, except for M14, there's never been anything like it, and it's remarkable that there has never been, to my limited knowledge, any such thing as a commercial M1 sporting design. It was made for war and war only, unlike others such as 1903s, BARs, Mauser 98ks, Krags, etc. all of which have been commonly sporterized privately or commercially, or by government armories. It just appeared out of nowhere to break the backs of Hitler, Tojo, and N. Korea, and then vanished except for the minority of shooters who collect or use them in matches. Strange. Can't wait to get to the range!

I recall seeing a great WWII poster of a GI with M1 on hip and hand held out with an enbloc clip, saying "The M1 does MY talking!" Anyone know where I could find one?

Jeff Neely
January 8, 2002, 01:08 PM
Khornet,

I dont know about finding poster, but there is a book of the same title, "The M1 does MY talking", by Robert Bruce Photography.
This book has that same picture on the cover.
I purchased the book at a gun show.

the address for Robert Bruce;

PO box 482-M1
Sandston, VA. 23150

I also have a Garand DCM rifle, Springfield built 1944, rebuilt RRA
1961. If only these old rifles could talk, what a history. One of my very favorite to shoot.

jeff

Khornet
January 8, 2002, 01:13 PM
Jeff, thanks! Will check it out.

Bruegger
January 8, 2002, 05:14 PM
Khornet –here you go. http://www.nmt.edu/~dhart/mym1garand.jpg

One of my favorite posters, BTW.

Semper fi,
Bruegger out.

Khornet
January 9, 2002, 07:33 AM
Bruegger, thanks a lot! Have a fine Navy day.

boogerbawb
January 9, 2002, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear you got an M-1 Khornet...you are now doomed! They're like those Lays Potato Chips....bet ya can't buy just one.:D