PDA

View Full Version : Khar?

Atc1man
January 8, 2002, 07:46 AM
Met a pistol I've never seen before at the LGS yesterday. It was a Khar chambered in Smith .40, double action, saftey-less, single stack, and concealment sized. Seemed like a damn fine pistol, very comfortable for my little hand. Not sure what model.
Are these guns worth owning? Seemed to be priced in the "quality handgun" range, just under $500 for a used one in great condition.
POS or not? Good shootin gun? Looking to probably upgrade from my Ruger P95DC which is farily largeframed for my small frame to carry....:D

Eric Larsen
January 8, 2002, 08:19 AM
The Kahr you found is probably if not for sure, the best small gun made. Just IMO...but read what people say below after my reply.

The steel guns are just plain SWEET! They function reliably and are accurate. They were designed as a carry/defensive handgun
and have done that quite well. You cannot go wrong with one.

The P or Poly series have had some questionable problems arise
on TFL....warped slide rails and such. I have never shot a P' series gun and can give you no first hand info.

The steel guns, I have put 500 rnds thru a nickel k40....absolutely flawless.

Buy it...

P.S. Goldenspike firearms has a nice, police trade in K40 that was checked out/rebuilt by Kahr. Its priced very, very nicely.
Gallensons has a clean trade in also, very reasonable also.....

Shoot well

Mike in VA
January 8, 2002, 08:46 AM
Atc, I've got a Kahr P9 that has become a constant companion. It did have a problem with the slide stop (Early production gun?), but I sent it back to Kahr, they had it back in 10 days, and it's been flawless ever since.

As you noted, they're quite concealable, mine has been very reliable,m eating all kinds of JHP 115 - 147 gr, and is quite accurate for it's size. My frame rails appear to be fine, I suspect the warped rails are more representative of the P40's(?). The trigger is like buttah, very smooth and cnsistent, and light for a DAO.

Try it, you'll like it:)

AndABeer
January 8, 2002, 09:28 AM
http://www.kahr.com/front.html

Shake
January 8, 2002, 11:14 AM
I'd rate the Kahr steel guns a definite "buy". The polymer Kahrs I'd rate "wait and see" mode for now.

Shake

Big Johnson
January 8, 2002, 11:15 AM
I had a Kahr P9 and now a P9 Covert. The Covert was just what I was looking for in a carry gun. Very easy to conceal, light, accurate, and smooth trigger. BUT it seems most of the Polys have the nagging walking trigger pin problem and you can either "locktite" it or send it back to the factory for a trigger upgrade. The slide stop problem is not a problem on the newer polys...I don't know about the slide rail warp problem. Neither of mine has warped but I only have 300 rds. through the Covert and I had about 500 through the other.

I'd love to get the metal one some day (with the elite trigger).

Kentucky Rifle
January 8, 2002, 11:34 AM
That's what concerns me a little about the "shortly to be introduced" MP9. I'll have to wait a little while to buy because I want to read some reviews. (And not from the gun rags either!) From real live people here on TFL.

KR

gbelleh
January 8, 2002, 12:35 PM
The all steel Kahrs are great guns. I recently got an MK40 (without shooting one first) to replace a Glock 26 I sold. I assumed the kick would make it almost impossible to control well without lots of practice. The plan was to trade it for an MK9 if the recoil was too much, but I was amazed at how accurate and controllable this tiny little .40 is! It's built like a tank and had zero malfunctions of any kind during its 200 round break-in. I'm looking forward to putting 300 more rounds through it very soon. The MK40 is fun to shoot!

The all steel Kahrs are definately worth buying! Highly recommended.

Zundfolge
January 8, 2002, 12:39 PM
My guess is the Kahr you came across is either a MK 40 or a K40 Covert

MK40
http://www.kahr.com/images/m4046.gif

K40 Covert
http://www.kahr.com/images/gun-k40c.gif

To read more on Kahr's go to their web site at http://www.kahr.com

Shake
January 8, 2002, 02:36 PM
Zundfolge,

Do you have to pay extra for the green "gel" finish Kahrs?

I like it!

:D

Shake

Erik
January 8, 2002, 03:34 PM
As noted, the all steal Kahrs are the way to go.

I love the MK40 I picked up a few weeks ago. After 200 or so rounds I've found it to be accuturate, reliable, and rugged.

Onslaught
January 8, 2002, 03:45 PM
Out of the 5 Kahrs I've owned, I've only ever met one I didn't like (P9) and Kahr finally replaced that with my new favorite... My P40.

You cannot go wrong with a Kahr K-series pistol, and the chances are quite good that a P-series will be reliable as well. Open forums frequently gather groups of unhappy gun-owners, while gun-specific forums tend to "think no wrong" of their pistol of choice. I'm a member of both ends, and what I hear here is maybe 75/25 good/bad, on the Kahr owners group, it's more like 90/10... both are good numbers in Kahr's favor.

I'won't mind being first in line for an MP9... if they don't work right, Kahr will make them so, and the chances are that the'll be good to go out of the box, since the frame already exists (P9 Covert), and all that is needed is a shorter slide and barrel. Even the P series covert is merely a P series regular cut down to covert size. Some brave souls have done it themselves with patience and a saw :eek: ... Shirokuma right here on TFL comes to mind...

FlyinGN
January 8, 2002, 05:19 PM
Yup my K40 is my primary carry gun and it built like a swiss watch.. Solid and shoots just about as perfect as you can imagine.. I also have the optional night sights and the Hogue wood grips..

Frank

Atc1man
January 8, 2002, 08:28 PM
I got a kick out of this animated firing gif
http://www.kahr.com/images/camanim81999.gif

weldonjr2001
January 8, 2002, 08:35 PM
A hearty ditto on the K40. It is superb. I don't know about the P series. Seems to have had some growing pains. The steel line is fairly hefty but I personally like the weight when shooting the pistol. I love carrying it. Very smooth contours, and lots of power in a small easy to shoot package. Great trigger. Great customer service. I did lose a piece off the follower in one of my 2 original mags. It felt rough from the start and eventually broke a small piece off inside the magazine. Before it was over I ended up receiving 4 new followers (double shipment) and a complete new magazine from Kahr!

weldonjr2001
January 8, 2002, 08:35 PM
A hearty ditto on the K40. It is superb. I don't know about the P series. Seems to have had some growing pains. The steel line is fairly hefty but I personally like the weight when shooting the pistol. I love carrying it. Very smooth contours, and lots of power in a small easy to shoot package. Great trigger. Great customer service. I did lose a piece off the follower in one of my 2 original mags. It felt rough from the start and eventually broke a small piece off inside the magazine. Before it was over I ended up receiving 4 new followers (double shipment) and a complete new magazine from Kahr!

Sorry about the double. Didn't know how to delete the second.

Trsnrtr
January 8, 2002, 08:43 PM
I recently bought a P9 and have put between 300 and 350 rounds through it, a mixture of factory and reloaded ammo in 124 FMJ, 115 FMJ, and 115 JHP. It likes them all but I think it's partial to my 115g JHP reloads.;)

I haven't had any of the problems mentioned but mine was of November 2001 manufacture so maybe thye've got most the bugs out.