PDA

View Full Version : Are Ruger Model 77 Rifles Accurate?

Kestrel
January 3, 2002, 02:07 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Model 77 II in .30-06 (actually an Express model). Can anyone tell me their experiences with the accuracy of these rifles?

Are they easy to accurize? (bed, free-float, trigger, etc.)

Thanks for any help,
Steve

dZ
January 3, 2002, 02:19 PM
the model IIs have a fiddle proofed trigger

the original model Is have an adjustable trigger

Yanus
January 3, 2002, 02:34 PM
Ditto on the above. The older M77's were nice guns. I used to have one in 7mm Rem Mag, but decided I didn't need an anti-tank gun and sold it. All things being equal, I'd buy a Savage in 30-06 instead of the Ruger. The Savage is cheaper, more accurate, and IMHO, an all around better gun. I've never seen a Savage bolt action that wasn't accurate right out of the box.

Yanus

Eric1022
January 3, 2002, 02:37 PM
I have a Ruger Model 77 7mm Mag. I haven't done any modifications and it shoots well (after I got over the kick of a 7mm on a 6 1/2 lb. rifle). Usually about 1 - 2" groups at 100 yards. I haven't tried to fiddle with the trigger but it's not too bad from the factory. The trigger pull is a bit heavy for my liking. I didn't buy it to be ultra-accurate though, so it wasn't a big deal. I bought it because it was all-weather and light (Stainless/Synthetic).

Yanus
January 3, 2002, 02:49 PM
Eric1022,
I found that lighter bullets, mainly a 130gr softpoint, was a lot easier on the shoulder. It gets the recoil down to about a hot 30-06. Shooting 175gr bullets was more than I could stand. These loads would give me a headache out of the Ruger after about 5 rounds.

Eric1022
January 3, 2002, 03:02 PM
Yanus,

You are right about the 175 gr bullets. The first time I shot it was with 175s and no recoil pad. I couldn't even take enough shots to sight it in. I usually use 150 gr bullets but will have to give the 130s a try. Whenever I take it to the range, I always slap on a recoil pad or I'm done after 5 - 10 rounds. With the recoil pad its much easier on my shoulder. But in the field with the cross-hairs on a buck, I don't even feel it kick. Amazing what a little adrenalin will do.

Hook_N_Bullet
January 3, 2002, 03:07 PM
I own a newer M77 Mk II in 7mm Rem Mag. I took it from the store where I purchased it to the gunsmith for a 3lb trigger job.

$40 later I have a great gun that shoots MOA with no problem.

Probably shoots better than I'll ever be capable of.

FWIW,

Dave

Yanus
January 3, 2002, 03:17 PM
Eric1022,
Another plus to the 130gr loads is you now have a gun that shoots point blank to 300 yds. I used to sight mine in 1" high at 100 yds. I believe the drop was only 3" in 300 yds! You now have a varmint rifle as well as a deer rifle and it won't beat you to death!

Kestrel
January 3, 2002, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking about getting the model 77 II Express Rifle in .30-06.

I just don't know whether it is worth the extra $1100 over the regular model 77's.

Thanks,
Steve

Art Eatman
January 3, 2002, 05:39 PM
Steve, for an '06, IMO, you're buying looks when you buy the Express Rifle. I doubt it will be any more accurate than the regular 77, and it certainly wouldn't give you more Oomph! into a critter.

But, hey! Nuthin' wrong with purty!

:), Art

Futo Inu
January 3, 2002, 05:48 PM
Yes, my experience is that profits made by Ruger will go towards eliminating your gun rights in Congress. There are many fine manufacturers that don't do this. Good day...

Crimper-D
January 3, 2002, 06:13 PM
In .243. It's the old style design with the tang safety and a semi-butterknife bolt. Very smooth and very accurate, makes the modern production models look like clubs:p
Shoots reloads from 60 to 105gr and obliterates California groundsquirrels with the varmint weight loadings.:D
I think Ruger's anti-gunowners stance is a bit overdone, but the company certainly bears watching in the event some 'mole' from the Anti camp dosen't get into the corporate structure and sow hate & dissention.:( :eek: :barf:

leej
January 3, 2002, 08:15 PM
What generally is not known about Ruger Rifles is that until a few years ago Ruger did not make its own rifle barrels. They sub-contracted out to various manufactures of rifle barrels. The quality control over all of these sub-contractors created problems for Ruger and the accuracy of their rifles.

Some of the older Rugers shot great but far too many of them gave pretty dismal accuracy due to the many types of sub-contract barrels that Ruger used to use.

All that has changed with the newer models that have Ruger made barrels on them.