PDA

View Full Version : I need your views: Beretta 96 FS or D

bobby_lori
December 30, 2001, 11:35 AM
I am going to buy a Beretta 96 .40 S&W. I can't decide if to get the FS version or the D model. I can get a used Beretta .40 (FS or D) for the same price. My questions is: what would you prefer? This will be used as a duty weapon carried in a level 3 holster. I have heard both sides of the coin>
FS: Better trigger
D: Only one trigger pull to learn
Help me out on this. Tell me your views on the subject.
Thanks

Kermit
December 30, 2001, 11:49 AM
What I prefer may not be what works best for you. I would get the one that fit me best & then get lots of training mixed in with lots of practice so the trigger (regardless of which you choose) is a non-issue.

WYO
December 30, 2001, 12:25 PM
I carry the 96D in an SSIII holster, although I agree with Kermit that you should use what works for you. The D model has a lighter mainspring than the DA/SA version of the same gun, so the DA pull is lighter. (Some people will tell you to switch out mainsprings, but that would be a no no for me.) The trigger pull also is smoother. When I originally got to pick between the D, F and G (decock only) versions, I decided that I liked the first shot on the D much better than the first shot on the F/G version, and the first shot is the most important. (Some people who chose the F models picked them for the subsequent shots, rather than the first.) I also liked the fact that the D model has no mechanical safety or decocker, although a friend who chose the F model was saved when he flicked his safety on during a wrestling match, and I wouldn't have had that option. I also don't like the transition from DA to SA on the F/G models. 40 rounds of our qualification is done with 2 shot strings, and that really penalizes people who have to transition.

I would suggest that you handle both, and if possible, shoot both before deciding.

depmur
December 30, 2001, 06:04 PM
I went through the academy several years back with a Beretta 92D. After the academy, my Dept. approved the 40 S&W round for duty, I bought a 96FS another tack driver. Both are good systems and will deliver for you if you practice. We now carry the company gun, Glock 22, but at times I realize the Beretta is a better duty gun IMHO. If I was a administrator I would issue a DAO gun in 40 S&W, not Glock though. The transition is easier to learn and the accuracy is fine with practice. Another opinion that is strictly mine and not endorsed by many... Stay Safe

Tamara
December 30, 2001, 06:10 PM
"Better trigger" is such a subjective term. ;)

I'd had DAO autos in the past, when I was younger and hadn't really mastered the DA trigger pull on revolvers. Hated 'em. Couldn't hit a thing with a DA trigger pull.

Now, many years and many tuned wheelguns later, I think the smooth, even DA trigger on my 96D is a "better trigger" than the one on my roomie's conventional 92FS. Go figure. ;)

9mmepiphany
December 31, 2001, 06:37 PM
i currently carry a beretta 96 (FS) in a safariland level II and would switch to a G model (elite I or II) before going to the D.

the elites come from the factory with the D mainspring so i would have no qualms about changing them out.

the transition from DA to SA in the beretta is slight, as least partly due to the size of the frame, and is more a matter of training your finger to press rather than squeeze.

if you feel that the trigger pull is unmanageable, you can send it of to ernest langdon for his action tune (might get his speed bump trigger at the same time)

i like the ability to use the safety because the gun is in plain sight on the duty belt, as opposed to undercover during CCW

MP-5
December 31, 2001, 08:50 PM
Basically, IMO if you are a good shot, it wont make much difference between DAO and DA/SA. If you are a marginal shot where you can barely keep your shots on paper, the DA/SA will be easier for you to shoot to your level of proficiency. (Most non-seasoned shoters prefer DA/SA and have great difficulty with DAO.) Not to say DA/SA is not FASTER or EASIER to shoot, but the difference is minimal when the skill level is high.

bountyh
January 2, 2002, 05:43 PM
DAO is much safer for LEO carry. On an FS, the first shot pull is about 12 pounds and the follow up pull is about 5 pounds. IMO, that's extremely dangerous for a high-adrenaline situation. The worst thing about the 92FS for SA pull is that the trigger is so far back (rearward) in the trigger guard in a region I am not used to finding the trigger. The DA pull engages the trigger all the way forward and has a long, predictable pull. The "break" point is about 1/4" farther forward than the SA.

I own a 92FS and use the DA/SA for target shooting and I bought a second hammer which I milled for DAO shooting (ground off the full-cock notch). I would use the DAO hammer for carry if I choose to use it as a defense gun. I find my accuracy is the same shooting the gun DA or SA. Another good point is that the DAO gun is "point-and-shoot" like a revolver so you don't have to fumble with a safety.