PDA

View Full Version : MAC 10 Value?

Edward429451
December 29, 2001, 01:12 PM
I've got a guy trying to sell me a FA MAC 10, open bolt, folding stock, front handstrap (?), with suppressor, 3 30 rnd mags, in a fitted metal case...

His grandpas gun, who died. I dont think he knows what he has. I want to offer him enough so I dont actually rip him off blind, but dont want to go too high either...

Condition is probably 80-85%...

What price range is reasonable for what I've described? Note, I am planning to get it legalized and pay the 200...

chetchat
December 29, 2001, 01:37 PM
Note, I am planning to get it legalized and pay the 200...

Until the gun is "legalized", it's a serious problem. Both gun and suppressor should be part of the BATF's NFA registry; if not, it's a serious violation of Federal Law to be in possession of an unregistered machinegun and unregistered silencer.

I'd suggest have your friend verify the status. If both items ARE unregistered, I'd suggest he either -
1) wrap heavy chains around both gun and suppressor and drop in the nearest deep lake, or
2) have his lawyer call the ATF and ask them what to do.

ATF - Firearms, Explosives and Arson Services Division
650 Massachusetts Ave., NW Room 5300
Washington, DC 20226

Telephone: (202) 927-7356 Fax: (202) 927-7488

Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
(except federal holidays)

EDIT : Before someone comments on the problems with the NFA registry and amnesty, note the statement presuming the items are NOT registered, and therefore illegal; not that there's "a problem" with the registration of the weapons themselves.

Edward429451
December 29, 2001, 01:45 PM
Dig this...He knew enough about it to reregister it and paid his 200., but says they told him he's not allowed to take it out of his house or shoot it, just store it under lock and key...

chetchat
December 29, 2001, 02:01 PM
Okey doke.
Did he inherit it from his Grandpa?
And how much did he say the silencer transfer cost?

Edward429451
December 29, 2001, 02:04 PM
It wasnt in a will or anything, he was just the oldest boy and logically it went to him???

I think he said the supressor was 175. to register. IIRC, he said this all took place ten years ago, and its been collecting dust ever since...

chetchat
December 29, 2001, 02:24 PM
A MACs value will vary depending on make, caliber, condition, and accessories. What he has is worth - retail - anywhere from $1000 to $1500 at 98%-NIB, IMO. If the case is an original Cobray custom MAC case that will add value to a collector.

Thing is, people who go through the transfer process are pretty aware of it - it's not something simple like just filing income tax, especially for a newcomer. There's a lot involved, and you remember facts about it. Like the cost of a transfer - the answer is not "he thinks it was $175 to register...".

Have the other guy show you his paperwork on it. If he doesn't have any paperwork, or makes excuses, stay away.

Edward429451
December 29, 2001, 03:17 PM
No, I think he said it was 175., I asked him if it was papered and he said yes. He's pretty young with little to no interest in guns, so is unable to appreciate any value in what it is that he has. He has zilch in it, and wants to turn the dust collecter into cash.

I havent even seen it yet. I've always had little interest in FA weapons, being one of those who believe that a good semi auto will do pretty much the same thing as a FA but with less ammo. Except in certain specific special applications, which I'm not into either. But I dont have anything against FA, if this seemingly good deal came along and I can get it for a reasonably low price, sure I'll pick it up. I think I can appreciate the collectable value of it, but dont know if I'm looking at a 1200 dollar gun, or 2500. or 4000....? I remember the semi auto ones were going for around 400 +- awhile back, but this is a horse of a different color. I could probably get it for a song but really dont want to do that do the guy. I really have no clue though of what would be a lowish reasonable price for it.:confused:

chetchat
December 29, 2001, 03:43 PM
Check out the Bower's Board for more info on current prices. Original Powder Springs/RPB MACs are usually the more valuable, the later SWD M11/9s are pretty common. You can get a New In Box (NIB) M11/9 for under $1000 right now.

www.subguns.com

You'll need to check on whether or not you can get a CLEO signoff on your Form 4 for both the suppressor and SMG, and it's $200 per transfer - that's $400 over and above whatever the cost of the MAC and can are.

Good luck :)

Hkmp5sd
January 2, 2002, 09:49 AM
Actually, he didn't have to pay the $200. As heir, he can file an ATF Form 5 - Tax Exempt Transfer. And once that is complete, he owns the gun and can take it anywhere. In either case ($200/Form 4 or $0/Form 5), he owns the gun and take it anywhere he wants.

The ATF may have meant he could not take it out of the house until the transfer was completed.

MACMAN10
January 10, 2002, 05:58 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p766777c7af1992500d67dc3fea2992d1/fe02e1e2.jpg.orig.jpg
Burp

Schmit
January 11, 2002, 12:47 PM
HKMP5SD is spot on!

Grampa passes,

Grandson files Form 5 and takes over ownership. Until approved/signed off form 5, firearm is in a "limbo"possession.

New owner submits completed Form along with Tax $$ to ATF. When it comes back approved he takes possession of item.

Simple. :)