NC-Jay
December 21, 2001, 09:18 AM
Hello All, I am new to this forum and hand guns in general. I
have been just given a Colt pocket hammerless 1903
32ACP. It originally was my grandfathers during the
1930's. My question is what type handgrips are proper
for it? The original grips and grip screw are gone. I have
seen listed type 1, 2, 3, 4, early, late etc. The serial is
269xxx. According to the Colt site it was made in 1918.
Any and all info will be appreciated..............Jay

BigG
December 21, 2001, 09:31 AM
Usually, the ones I've seen are hard rubber, also called "gutta percha."

LIProgun
December 21, 2001, 09:50 AM
The serial number you give puts it in the Type III range. Type III characteristics are an integrated barrel bushing, 3.75 inch barrel, and no magazine safety.

For more info, see the wonderful Colt Autos site: http://www.coltautos.com/1903ph.htm

NC-Jay
December 21, 2001, 01:33 PM
:D Thanks, I'll get some grips on order J

John Lawson
December 21, 2001, 07:11 PM
While that is the variation or "type" as collectors refer to it, the question is what MODEL. It is a Model M.

LIProgun
December 26, 2001, 10:43 AM
Actually, NC-Jay properly identified the pistol as Colt's Pocket Hammerless Model of 1903. While this pistol is also called a Model M, that designation also refers to Colt's Pocket Hammerless Model of 1908, thus making "Model M" a less specific designation, and hardly helpful in determining the proper variant of grips.

John Lawson
December 26, 2001, 12:27 PM
All of the M frame grips interchange. Only a collector would agonize over which is "correct." And, if they are replaced with the "correct" ones, they are still wrong because they are not "original."
The first model .32 pistol had a bushing. The second model did not have a magazine safety. The final model did have a mag safety. The .first .380's did not have the mag. safety, while the latest models did. The hard rubber grips were used on early models, while walnut grips with a rampant colt button were used on the latest model.
All of them are designated as "Factory Model M". Only collectors break things down farther. The latest production were one of the best made and reliable pocket pistols ever made.
There is a difference between Model and Variation. The question was Model. Ask the right questions, you get the right answers.

johnwill
December 26, 2001, 02:00 PM
Actually, the mag disconnect came and went during the production of the 1903. It was in them in the 1xx,xxx serial range, but my 400,xxx serial number gun does not have a mag disconnect. This is an original gun that I got from the original owner's son and has not been altered, so that's the way it came from the factory. I don't know when they changed their mind the second time... Interestingly enough, my 1908 .25ACP has a mag disconnect, and it was produced within a year or two of the 1903.

As far as the "correct" grips, a lot of us are collectors, and the right grips do matter. :)

7th Fleet
December 26, 2001, 10:23 PM
I have a two digit serial number 32acp 1903 Colt and the grips on it are hard dark brown rubber/plastic.

7th

johnwill
December 27, 2001, 07:58 PM
Two digit??? As in 23 or 37? That would be a rare one. :) BTW, here's mine...
http://www.armscenter.com/johnwill/SmallGunPictures/Colt_1903.jpg

NC-Jay
December 27, 2001, 07:58 PM
Appreciate all the replies. I guess I should have asked which variation and not model. I am not a collector but if three different variation grips are all available and the same price I want the right parts. Just me I guess, old fashioned, when my 1967 Cub Cadet needs a part it gets the right part too. Thanks.....Jay