PDA

View Full Version : M-96 vs. AR-15

Dangus
December 20, 2001, 02:45 AM
Which is better? Why?

Nightcrawler
December 20, 2001, 02:55 AM
There are a LOT of variables to consider. The AR-15 has been in production for 40 years, and is made by many, many manufacturers. The M96 is made by one small company and thusly costs a great deal more. The number of accessories and parts for the AR-15 is staggering, as well. And I don't believe anyone has put any effort into really super-accurizing the M96 like many have done for the AR-15.

All things being equal, though, I like the M96. I've been around M16s for a long while (first centerfire rifle I ever shot) and don't want another one.

Dangus
December 21, 2001, 01:35 AM
I hear breakdown on the M-96 is easier....

George Hill
December 21, 2001, 02:43 AM
Not even a question there!
M96 - Because it fixes all of the AR's problems. Solid blade ejector, an op rod, smoother shooting, no 'Sproing' sounds, and faster take down. Oh, and one more thing. IT'S RELIABLE.

Chris Orndorff
December 21, 2001, 10:24 AM
How much does the M96 weigh?

Correia
December 21, 2001, 12:43 PM
www.robarm.com will have all of the stats on the different models.

I voted for the FAL. No just kidding, that wasn't an option. I voted for the M96.

I own an AR15, and I have only used the M96 a little bit. However from a design point of view I think the M96 is superior for the reasons George stated. It isn't quite as accurate as an AR, but keep in mind that the M96 has only been in production for a few years vs. a lot of years for the AR.

Mute
December 21, 2001, 01:05 PM
What George said. Though, if you get a quality AR, reliability is not an issue.

However, you will have more choices in accessories as well as supply of AR's.

JIH
December 21, 2001, 10:05 PM
The gas system will give the AR an edge in accuracy and the M96 the edge in reliability (albeit not a whole lot in each direction).

Personally, I'd go with an AR if picking one over the other, long-term. You can get parts anywhere, from anyone... therefore you can repair easily and you don't have the same exposure you would if a major manufacturer (Colt) tanked and/or decided it didn't care to sell to non-law enforcement or non-military.

If the long term is not a factor, you have the money to spend, and you're not wanting to eventually create a competitive rifle, get the M96.

jason10mm
December 22, 2001, 01:42 PM
The M96 is just too expensive. Once it has had a few years to fix all the flaws that present themselves and drop a few hundred in price, I'll get one. For now I have an AR that is reliable and accurate, with an aftermarket trigger and grip, and is lighter than the M96. I could get a pre-ban AR and 2 cases of ammo for the price of a M96. LAter.

Crimper-D
December 22, 2001, 11:46 PM
Hey! I voted the M96 without reading the thread first!
Take it back!
I thought the M-96 refered to in the poll was the 96 Swede!:D
I do not own either of the weapons cited in the poll. So Sorry!
However, I'd bet on the old 6.5 boltgun against either of the above... at 600meters:D