PDA

View Full Version : Any further PT-145 updates?

Dain Bramage
December 19, 2001, 09:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone had further info on the Taurus PT-145 Millenium after the slew of initial frame cracks reported here. Any more cases? Other problems? How did the factory respond to the existing cases, and is there a fix in the works?

George Hill
December 19, 2001, 01:42 PM
The problem is that the slide comes back and hits the metal subframe... this hammering is causing the cracks. Some buffer right there should fix the problem. I've contacted Taurus about this but there is no expected fix at this point.
If you send your gun in - they will only send you a new one. One that will do the same thing.

denfoote
December 19, 2001, 04:06 PM
My "new" PT-145 will be in sometime this week. :barf: I am going to sell it to the gunsmith. Heck, I owe him for the "fix" he did on the trigger lock anyway!! I'll be glad to be rid of the thing!!:)

2minkey
December 19, 2001, 04:28 PM
i've got a POS PT145 right now, but i won't as of tomorrow. my dealer is going to send it to taurus, get the replacement, and give me credit for it. prolly gonna pick up a sig or beretta 92.

my pt145 has the same diagonal cracks extending form the rear of the gun where the metal slide meets the plastic lower frame that other pt145s have been afflicted with.

i took pictures of it and i'm thinking about sending them in to somebody....consumer product safety commission? ideas, anyone?

Dain Bramage
December 19, 2001, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys. My head and heart were talked into a new G30. I just had to convince my wallet.

Lennyjoe
December 19, 2001, 06:40 PM
Man, I was just about to get one of them PT145's till denfoote and stratfordholdings had the problems. Good thing my finances didnt work out then or else I would of bought one. I went and shot a Glock G30 today. I will be trying to find a place that has a G36 to shoot too. The place I went to today only had the 30. Im in the market for a compact .45 for Conceal carry. I had my heart set on the PT145 but now Im gonna have to settle with something else. So far its the G30 but its kinda bulky. I have a full size Pt100 in .40 and its kinda big for CCW. So the quest for a compact .45 continues. Wish me luck.

Navy joe
December 19, 2001, 09:12 PM
2Minkey: CPSC????? Are you nuts? The anti's latest tactic is trying to get firearms regulated like all other "consumer" products. I can just see it now, your PT-145 can blow up and kill your kid! Sarah Brady would probably hug you! The whole idea of the Consumer Product Safety Committee is to relieve individual sheep from having to take care of themselves by making one big gov. org. that does it for them.
Right now we have product warnings on pop bottles that tell us the "cap may project forcefully, aim away from face when opening". Can you imagine what kind of warnings they would want on guns??? "Warning, item should only be used by flower-shirted expert. Use by anyone else will render gun so inaccurate that you will hit something other than what you were aiming at, causing possible death or serious harm" "Warning, Don't point this end at yourself"
It's a matter of wanting to take care of ones self rather than wait for the masters to do it. You have already done the best thing you can by talking about that POS pistol here. Think of it as a TFL product safety commision. Word will make it back to TAurus when they are not selling that model very well.

Be safe, and please don't buy a plastic Taurus!

ratta tat tat
December 19, 2001, 09:42 PM
I owned a PT-145 for a whole week before i realized how much i disliked the trigger pull:barf:

Traded mine in for a G36 and put Pearce +1's on the mags. I'm definitely happier with the Glock and glad i got rid of the taurus..first time i ever heard of this failure on them though.

Mike

2minkey
December 19, 2001, 10:20 PM
well, i see your point navy joe but at the same time... what if a taurus really hurts somebody? my frame is cracking after 400 rounds. that's pathetic.

there' s also an obvious danger that is present with handguns that isn't with, say, bottles of pop.

maybe i'm just missing some amount of healthy paranoia.

looks like it's the ATF that would handle such a thing anyway... not in a hurry to contact them.

JD Black Label
December 19, 2001, 10:20 PM
I posted pics on my frame cracks. Sent the gun to Taurus and they sent me a replacement gun. They said I was the only person that had this problem. LIARS!!!!!:mad:

I got the gun back on Friday and took it to the gun show on Saturday and that POS is history!!!

I am now the proud owner of a Glock 27 that I purchased after I sold that POS Taurus.:barf:

The glock is a true quality weapon.

I would definately sell or trade if you own one. They have no plan to fix this problem. "Diedra" at Taurus Customer Service is the manager, and Sy Blum is the VP Customer Relations lot of good it did talking to them, they completely denied that there was a design flaw. I know we are not dreaming these problems up as I have posted my proof of the problem.

All I can say is I am very :D :D Happy and I will be GLOCKING ON!!

JD

Dain Bramage
December 20, 2001, 11:58 AM
The PT-145 trigger seemed okay. I never got to fire one, put I held one at the dealer.

I did get to rent a slew of other .45ACP compacts at two different ranges, plus a full size at each for comparison. The G30 rose to the top of the compacts each time, for operation and accuracy. The only guns that I shot better were the two full size, a Sig 220 and a Kimber classic.

I'm also one of the few people that think the width and grip angle of the G30 are perfect. The Glock ergonomics expert in Austria must look just like me (poor fellow!).

Just about January I should have enough socked away for the G30, ammo, and some range time. My dealer is looking for one now.

StratfordHoldings
December 20, 2001, 12:47 PM
Well, I still haven't sent mine in yet. Haven't had time. Well, that's a lie. I've actually had time but have been having too much fun with my other guns.

LennyJoe, another compact you should look into is the Charles Daly DDA. Full 10 rounds and it's a DA/SA. It's about the same size as the PT145 except the barrel is about .75 inches longer. I have one and it seems to be working for me, but right now my carry gun is a USP .45F.

Lennyjoe
December 20, 2001, 04:08 PM
Yea, I have been reading a few things on the Charles Daly DDA and am gonna try and find one at the next gun show to take a look at. Just shot a Glock 30 yesterday and it was ok. Gonna try the G36 out next. Im carrying a full size Taurus PT100AFS in .40 and its a little large to keep hidden. Good thing its cool enough out to wear a jacket to keep it covered. Tucson gets very hot in the summer so Im looking for something smaller in .45 . Though I have tossed around the idea of a Kel-tec but dont know if I want to have my primary carry weapon in 9MM. Easy all of you 9MM fans, just my personal preference..

90volts
January 3, 2002, 09:33 PM
900 round+ still no problems. i heard maybe there was a bad batch of plastic and most of the serial #s were within a small range.anyone know if that's changed. and the thing i don't like is getting in to clean the trigger mechanism cause it's all sealed.just that groove.

StratfordHoldings
January 3, 2002, 11:11 PM
90volts,

what was your SN? Mine was NUG 72995, the highest one I know so far and I had the starts of a crack. Sent it in and expect to hear back from them in a couple of days.

D.W. Drang
January 3, 2002, 11:36 PM
took pictures of it and i'm thinking about sending them in to somebody....consumer product safety commission?

By law, the CPSC has no authority over firearms. Check out their web site.
There IS a gov't agency that deals with safety/design issues on firearms--If you WANT to deal with the BATFags...:barf:

90volts
January 4, 2002, 12:08 AM
my number is 73495-pretty close.nothing yet. how many rounds did you put through it? i called taurus they said they knew of no problems which is more disconcerting than anything that they would try to hide it.like nobody talks to anyone else!

StratfordHoldings
January 4, 2002, 12:09 AM
I had 650 rounds in my pistol. I think they are trying to hide it.

90volts
January 4, 2002, 12:12 AM
if they have a problem and admit it that's one thing. but if they are trying to hide it you just can't trust them-y'know. no more taurus' for me.glad they didn't have any problems with the 454! i don't know if i could part with that.

mini14jac
January 4, 2002, 05:15 PM
I called Taurus, got the same response: "No, there are no problems with polymer frames that we are aware of."
Part of the problem may be that these guns are manufactured in Brazil. It may take a while for word to get back up the pipeline.

I purchased mine at a small shop. If she has sold a ton of these in the last year, we are still talking less than 20.
They have had 3 returned with a crack above the trigger guard on the left side.
That is even a different location than the pics posted here!

I figure that only small number of gun owners will actually shoot more than 100 rds in the first month that they own a gun.
Given the relatively small number of guns from this shop that were actually getting fired very much, 3 guns cracked in the same place tells me that Taurus has a problem.

It is interesting how the internet can put pressure on manufacturers. This lady has a small shop, and was selling the PT145 stainless for $359 + tax + bg.
Up until the end of November, she couldn't keep one in her shop, and they were actually being sold while in transit.
Everyone I talked to here wanted one.
Now, she has two under glass, (counting my "factory reconditioned" gun) and doesn't plan on ordering more until those are gone.
And, everyone that I talk to knows about the frame cracks.

I wonder how long Taurus can keep quiet about this?
I think the PT145 was starting to look like a watershed product for them, but I am not so sure now.

FWIW, I loved the trigger on mine, and it was one of the most accurate guns I have owned.:(

JP
><>

Will Beararms
January 4, 2002, 05:20 PM
This may come as a shock but Taurus knows very well what's going on. The mantra of manufacturing the world over is to deny and stall. I have been in and around durable goods manufacture for 14 years and that's just they way things go. Taurus will never admit fault just as Glock will not acknowledge the obvious danger there .40 Caliber pistols pose to the public.

denfoote
January 4, 2002, 09:21 PM
This may come as a shock but Taurus knows very well what's going on. The mantra of manufacturing the world over is to deny and stall. I have been in and around durable goods manufacture for 14 years and that's just they way things go. Taurus will never admit fault just as Glock will not acknowledge the obvious danger there .40 Caliber pistols pose to the public.

Will,
Then I quess the law of supply and demand will kick in as people vote with their feet and wallets!!! :rolleyes: