PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys - Quick Question Re TOYS R US

Futo Inu
December 17, 2001, 11:19 AM
How's everyone been over here at TFL? I've been reeeealy busy.

Anyway, I am considering stopping at Toys R Us to look for a particular item for my nephew, but am not going to spend a dime there unless they apologized for their vocal opposition to NRA's Times Square store.

Does anyone know whether they made a public apology or retraction? What are the online toy stores (that are still in business). Thanks!

PS. Boo-Yaa!!!! on Emerson (not a 100% victory but pretty good on balance). :)

SamAdams
December 17, 2001, 11:35 AM
Hey Futo,

I don't know about toys r us, but may I suggest updating #4 on your sig? ;)

Futo Inu
December 17, 2001, 03:13 PM
Hey, whatcha mean?

SamAdams
December 17, 2001, 03:54 PM
I'd say it's S&W these days, not Ruger.

Futo Inu
December 17, 2001, 06:18 PM
Ahhh, but I beg to differ. My signature is completely current, thank you. That is PRECISELY the point for all the S&W boycotters: What Ruger did (actively lobbying for a limited magazine capacity - a type of gun ban -a direct assault on our constitutional rights) is 100 times to 1000 times worse that what S&W did (striking a deal with the gov't on a nuisance non-meritorious lawsuit to save money that in no way directly affects our rights - indirectly yes, and they are to blame, but it cannot compare with actively asking our congresscritters to ban guns and magazines). Thank you for bringing this up, as it gives me an opportunity to elaborate and educate the uneducated. If you need the facts about what Bill Ruger did in 1994, and to this day has failed to apologize for, or more importantly, work to repeal, plz let me or someone else know. Thanks.

TheBluesMan
December 17, 2001, 10:50 PM
The Big Dog is back! :cool:

Good to see your name around these parts again, Futo. :)

imdoug
December 17, 2001, 11:00 PM
I haven't heard about any apology from Toys R Us. I tried to look up their contact info on their web site, but the page was down. When it comes back up, you should be able to find a phone number to call them at this link (http://www203.toysrus.com/handler.cfm?sn=info_pg_contact_us).

bastiat
December 18, 2001, 12:53 AM
I haven't heard that toys r us has been given permission to leave the corner yet. Perhaps if you let us know what you're looking for, we can recommend a good alternative source for it.

btw, I thoroughly agree with the ruger boycott. I will consider buying ruger, though, if they lead the effort to make sure the 1994 bill sunset. Until then, no rugers for me!

Jeff OTMG
December 18, 2001, 02:34 AM
WOOF, WOOF!!!

No toy guns at TRU and no retraction. Shop Wal-Mart, they have toy guns and real ones.

fivepaknh
December 18, 2001, 05:06 AM
Thanks Futo Inu for the info on Ruger. That was an education. I've purchased Ruger products in the past, but no more.

Futo Inu
December 18, 2001, 11:30 AM
Outstanding to hear, FivePaknh!! Yes, great to be back and glad to see TFL is going strong. I will try to stop in as often as possible.

OK, here's my understanding of what happened in 94 with Ruger, and someone please correct me or elaborate if I don't have this quite right, as I only really became interested strongly in RKBA when I got out of law school in 96 and found TFL in 97 or 98, so....

OK, in the late 80s and early 90s, Glock pistols were making leaps and bounds in the auto pistol market primarily due to their large capacity - they were then the highest capacity pistols, except for Beretta's 92. As a result, Glock was really hurting Ruger's and other makers' pistol sales, who had pistols just as big but lower capacity. Also, Clinton was in the white house, so he was proposing new gun control at every turn. Well, in the now infamous gun ban of 1994, commonly known as the "assault weapon" ban, or actually the "Crime Bill of 1994" I believe, Clinton managed to get Gingrich (who is no friend of gunners) and the other repubs to "compromise" and vote for his "crime bill" - though the 10 year sunset provision was managed to be kept alive by NRA and the good congresscritters. Well, in the debates preceding the passage of this direct affront to our second amendment rights, Bill Ruger, in what was I suppose in his mind a compromise to prevent something worse from passing, but also I'm quite sure something seen by him as an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, by cutting Glocks and Beretta's capacity of 17 or 18 (9mm rounds) in a hangun down to match his of 10 or 11, and thus elimimate the competitive advantage against him, he sent a letter to Congress, or at least to certain specific congresscritters, URGING the passage of the "compromise" bill, which as you know bans the manufacture of magazines with more than 10 rounds, regardless of whether for a pistol or "assault weapon". This letter is documented and proven I believe and is available for inspection on the web. So he (and thus Ruger) actively participated in compromising our rights, as to which weapons and magazines we as law-abiding gun owners can own, whereas what S&W did, while quite bad, since it broke the united front of gun-makers against the bogus suits, didn't directly affect our rights - it didn't affect the types of guns we can buy from other manufacturers, only from them - S&W. They shot themselves in the foot, and to be sure I am boycotting them too, because they caved in on an important frontal stand against the assault on gun makers, but in my mind, it cannot compare to ASKING our congressidiots for "gun control". So Ruger sold out his principles and our gun rights for the sake of greed and the profitability of his company. As a businessman I cannot blame him. As a gun owner, I (and all of us) MUST blame him and hurt Ruger. He is a good man who committed a dangerous and arguably evil act, and we mustn't ever forget until he or his company (he no longer actively manager Ruger) rights this wrong.

Bastiat, I think that is a GREAT idea - if Ruger leads the way to defeat the re-enactment when the unconstitutional law sunsets in 2004, then I'll be the first to buy a new Ruger (that deer carbine .44 mag looks good) to thank them with my pocketbook. Otherwise, Ruger MUST DIE a horrible painful death, or we are no different than Chamberlain appeasing the Nazis. We MUST have long memories, guys, or we will ultimately lose all rights. BTW, the only reason you don't hear nearly as much about what Ruger did as you do about what S&W did, is because Ruger gives a buttload of money to the NRA, so NRA does nothing but praise Ruger. This is a compromise by the NRA whichs angers me and I think is a big mistake by the NRA, BUT: On balance, NRA still does such good work that I believe this outweighs the bad, and since they take Bill Ruger's money and fight to defeat all bad laws, I think we need to tolerate this hypocrisy by NRA. Hope this helps. Plz spread the word to the RKBA newbs!

imdoug
December 18, 2001, 01:03 PM
Wasn't there a report by Neal Knox a while back that stated that Mr. Ruger was no longer in operational control of the company and that he's regretful for his participation in the "Assault-Weapon Ban" law?