PDA

View Full Version : Well, I think I've settled on my .45ACP

Kentucky Rifle
December 15, 2001, 04:47 PM
The gun shop I usually do business with just called and made a fairly good offer (he's going to try another distributor next week and try for a better price) on a Wilson KZ-45 Compact. I haven't signed on "the dotted line" yet, so if anyone has any "horror stories" or other reasons why I shouldn't get the KZ, I'd sure appreciate reading them now. This is a fairly expensive pistol and I don't want to make a mistake. Especially with my first .45ACP.

Kentucky Rifle

Kirk Keller
December 15, 2001, 11:22 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Wilson. Good luck and enjoy it!

Sundance
December 15, 2001, 11:35 PM
Don't know anything personally about the KZ, but that is a big leap for your first .45 (and 1911 based pistol also, I assume). To each his own, but I would buy a base model from Kimber or a Springfield Loaded model first and be sure that was what I wanted before I took such a plunge. Regardless, congratulations on entering the elite club of .45 caliber 1911 style pistol owners/shooters. There has never been, nor will there ever, be a finer platform for a fighting handgun.

Ronin 99
December 16, 2001, 12:02 AM
My first 1911 was a Les Baer Premier II and it was the right move for me. I vaguely remember reading about some problems (feeding?) with the fullsize KZ and it might be a good idea to ask and do a search on the 1911 Forum. Wilson does make a excellent product though and their customer service is legendary.
Ronin

WESHOOT2
December 16, 2001, 12:24 AM
Can you try it before you buy it?
(Some folks don't care for the recoil 'feel' from stubbies.)

Have fired full-size (I own one) to Kimber Ultra-Elite; personal preference is full-size.
Your results may vary.

Kentucky Rifle
December 16, 2001, 04:54 PM
I thought about sharp recoil for a little while, and you're right. It probably will be a little more noticeable that with a "full-size".45. However, sometimes I carry and practice with my Glock 27 (.40) and I don't think about recoil too much. Surely a shorter .45ACP won't have much more recoil than a G27. What do you think? I guess it's possible. People feel recoil differently. The G27 doesn't bother me, but a .357 snub just KILLS my hand. I've tried everything I can think of to make it more pleasant to shoot that one. (Short of holding it with a pillow from my couch.). I'm more concerned with the "MIM" parts question. I'm going to call Wilson tomorrow and talk to them about it.

KR

J Scott
December 16, 2001, 05:36 PM
Are you sure the KZ-Compact is available?

Try Terry Peters at www.pt-partners.com

He is by far the most "schooled" high end 1911 retailer.

If the Compact is available, then rock on!

But before you buy, drop Terry a line.

Happy Holidays!

J Scott

Kentucky Rifle
December 16, 2001, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the link. I'll give Terry a call.
The truth is, I'm not even sure what all this "MIM" stuff is about. Different people tell me different things. However, all seem to agree that if a little comes off, the part it comes off is going to wear SUBSTANTIALLY and quickly. (And THAT sounds pretty bad to me!) I have to be sure about this. I'm not concerned so much with the money, but I think it'd break my heart to get an expensive pistol with a great reputation--and have it be a single shot jammer. Know what I mean? I have a friend with an AR15 like that. BANG--clear the expended round by hand--BANG--clear the expended round by hand--etc...

KR

J Scott
December 16, 2001, 08:54 PM
KY Rifle,

I hear ya. Been there done that. (research that is)
I have never had a single problem with my Protector; ArmourTuf, feeding, jamming...etc. However, it can and possibly will happen.

Again, talk with Terry, tell him your concerns and LISTEN.
Whether you buy a Wilson or not, you will get free advice from one of Wilson Combats' leading retailers. And BTW, he carries more than Wilson. So be sure to ask about Les Baer and Ed Brown.

If you are like me, service after the sale is paramount.
I wouldn't recommend Wilson or Terry unless they exceeded my expectations...they have. Keep in mind my Wilson didn't need service, I did!

If you haven't already, check out www.pistolsmith.com

Good Luck and have fun with your research!

Happy Holidays,

J Scott

Westtexas
December 16, 2001, 08:57 PM
It's not too late to get a Baer TRS! :D

Seriously, I own both a Wilson Protector and two Baers. Wanna ask me why I own two Baers? Because I can't afford three right now! They are awesome guns, and beat the Wilson hands down in terms of finish, fit, accuracy, and reliability (my Protector is finicky, my Baers can't be made to fail). FWIW, that's my opinion. Good luck!

Bob

jdthaddeus
December 18, 2001, 03:08 AM
I am VERY pleased with my KZ45. It is very accurate and %100 reliable so far. It shoots just great. The whole design is near perfection.
My only complaint is that if you are into concealing multiple mags, the mags are wider than a single stack. So, I tend to opt for a single stack .45 with a couple extra mags which I can conceal. If this is not an issue for your, the KZ45 is a near perfect design.

Keep in mind that Wilson WILL make you happy. If your gun has any problems, they will fix it or replace it. If any parts break, they will replace them free. And the MIM parts are not that big of a deal, many 1911's have them these days as well as almost all other breands of guns. Glocks are almost all composite metal parts and they are known as arguably the worlds most durable pistol. I would not worry about MIM parts, I think it is a nit-picking detail, and I have yet to hear anyone actually show an example of the parts failing.

Kirk Keller
December 18, 2001, 10:16 AM
is sit and drool. This discussion is killing me. I am one with envy...

shooter.45
December 18, 2001, 04:20 PM
Kentucky Rifle, SHould have bought the Para LDA C7.45. Cheaper and a great gun not much recoil either.. Oh well good luck with it anyway. :D

Jspy
December 18, 2001, 07:20 PM
I wasn't aware the compact was available yet, but since I got my KZ I have turned my attention towards other 45's. I would have to think a compact would be the "berries" tho. I have several different 1911's, but this one is definately a nice one to start with if you can afford to. Mine has been 100% so far and just keeps getting better. :D

blades67
December 18, 2001, 10:25 PM
Can I help you break it in?

George Hill
December 19, 2001, 01:59 PM
I think he is getting the right gun.

Why? It's the gun he WANTS.

If you get ANYTHING ELSE - there will be a splinter in your mind about that other gun... the one you wanted to get... and regardless of logical reasons to the contrary or advice from everyone... you will end up getting it anyways.

So I say just GO FOR IT.

The KZ is a fantastic handgun. Full or Compact. Wilson doesn't make bad handguns. Its a safe bet. Get it and enjoy it.

James K
December 19, 2001, 02:13 PM
Hi, jdthaddeus and folks,

I don't especially want to get into another "contest" on MIM parts, but I don't think having your barrel bushing break and let the recoil spring guide go down range is a "nit-picking detail". (No, I don't know the velocity and energy of a recoil spring guide; maybe it could be fatal to the BG at that.)

MIM parts are adequately hard and fine in many places, but they are cheap and easy to make and so have been used in places they don't really belong. The same is true of plastic, alloy, etc.; Polymer frames and alloy parts are here to stay, but you don't want a plastic barrel or an aluminum sear.

Jim

VVG
December 19, 2001, 03:06 PM
Whatever you do, don't test fire a SIG P220 after you get the Wilson....

September11
December 20, 2001, 11:57 AM
What the hell!?! If you don't like it, you can sell it - it will hold its value and if you have a good relationship with your dealer, you could probably trade it in... Go for it, then post a picture and keep us droolers updated on how much fun you have when you take it out!!!

Clemmo
December 20, 2001, 12:55 PM
somebody tells you that you should have bought something else.

Great choice and enjoy!

Billy Bremner
December 21, 2001, 11:14 AM
The Wilson is a lovely choice. You may also want to consider something other than the venerable 1911 - such as a SIG.

May I suggest the P220 in Blue or Stainless. Runs like a Swiss watch (probably made by the same bloody Swiss craftsmen). Very accurate - right out of the box. No adjustments necessary.

Wm

CWL
December 21, 2001, 03:20 PM
Out of my 4 1911 style pistols, my Wilson KZ45 is my favorite. You'll find that the only thing you'll need to buy after purchasing a Wilson pistol is extra magazines.

J Scott
December 21, 2001, 05:47 PM
Kentucky Rifle....well?

J Scott

Kentucky Rifle
December 22, 2001, 12:10 PM
However, the KZ is still in the lead, by a hair. First, while I was trying to decide on "my" .45, I decided to increase my revolver stock. You see, I want my collection to be more than a "collection". I want to be able to go to the safe and pick a "carry gun for the day", which I'll be happy and proud to carry. No "safe queens" for me. I want to use them all in kind of a "rotation". I had been reading about the .32 H&R magnum cartridge. I decided to buy a snub chambered in that round. (Go up to the "revolver section" and look under the thread "Ti or Multi-Alloy" for the story of my search and the results of said search.)
Secondly, I've been stopped again by some beautiful custom Kimbers. My gun shop just got them in. I can't find them in any of my Kimber catalogs. They're special pistols that came out of the Kimber custom shop. (Maybe for Christmas or something.) Some look like the "Eclipse" model, but have three inch barrels! Others have four inch barrels and a couple are like nothing I've ever seen before in the Kimber line-up. They all are about $100.00 cheaper than the Wilson KZ, so cost isn't really a consideration. It's a close call. I'm not usually like this. Once I make up my mind, that's usually it. The thing is, these are "special" Kimbers. Their beauty is breath taking. The revolver problem is finally solved. As for the .45, well...now I have to ask myself a few more questions. I wish you could see these special custom shop Kimbers. I think ANYBODY would have a difficult time making up his mind. A beautiful, special custom Kimber right now or a Wilson KZ in three weeks. I'm a weak man when it comes to beautiful firearms. I feel a little dizzy right now! :) Thank God Kentucky doesn't have that "one gun a month" silly rule.

KR

gyp_c2
December 22, 2001, 06:26 PM
...then do not buy a compact 1911 as your first!!!

Buy the 5" version first, before ANYTHING ELSE. If not that, at least a 4" or Commander size weapon. The full size frame is the most important part of learning a 1911. With a shorter than full-size frame, you are handicapping yourself from the beginning. Learn with at least a Commander length with a FULL SIZE FRAME...That way, you will at least have a whole handful of 1911 to "learn with"...beyond that...doesn't matter. Just think of having your little finger underneath the magazine...That's where it is...I have SMALL hands...so if I had trouble holding one, someone with larger hands may as well...Do not take this as a slam on the pistols! They are as good or better than any other compact pistol made...but...they ARE a compact!!! Try a few at least...before you buy anything, go to a good store with a large inventory and try each and every one of them!

I had a Detonics as my first 1911 pistol...Great gun...but unwieldy and weird after handling any other full size gun...It is a whole different way of carrying and shooting...that's the 1911 part! The smaller handle is a real obstacle to learning a proper hold and getting the manual of arms down...It is just different. I'll get flack from this, but if you'll just try the fullsize first, you may not even see a NEED for the compact model.
I'm 5'11" and 145lbs...I can carry a fullsize 1911 with no heavy coat anywhere I want. There's just no comparison learning to shoot a 45 in a compact size versus the Fullsize...

The stocks on my models 19,66,629 are ample and I shave them down to suit me. Even the stocks on a 1911 are a bit hefty for me...I shave them down as well...Shooting magnums in a 35oz gun is a handful with full target stocks, same goes for a 45acp...it's not a punishing cartridge at all...but it is very, very, easy to control and learn in a fully stocked gun...If you have access to both, try before you buy. If you just CAN'T...then buy both!

Good Luck!!!
...welcome to the fray! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/rant.gif