PDA

View Full Version : Wilson CQB or Novak Equivalent?

Kestrel
December 14, 2001, 03:41 PM
I saw a Wilson CQB in a gun store - very nice. I WAS thinking about sending my (2) Kimber Classics to Wayne Novak to have them set up essentially the same.

Can anyone with experience with both tell me which you would do? Is Wayne Novak's work as good as Wilson's?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Kestrel
December 14, 2001, 06:03 PM
I think I've found the answer to my question. While the Wilson CQB has a forged frame and slide, it is full of MIM parts. Why pay $1800 for a gun that has the same type of MIM parts as the Kimbers, which shoot supurb.

I think I'll send my Kimbers to Novak and have all the MIM parts replaced with machined parts and also get a better finish than the sprayed-on Armor-Tuff finish from Wilson. Joe Bonar's work at Novak's is outstanding.

Steve

Kentucky Rifle
December 15, 2001, 01:36 AM
Sadly, I read your post. Are you absolutely sure that Wilsons are "full of MIM parts"? I was trying to get away from that. (Plus, I didn't like the looks of Kimbers.) I had just about decided on a Wilson KZ-45 Compact. My gun shop was going to give me a price tomorrow. Is there ANYTHING IN THE WAY OF A NEW .45ACP Auto that does not use these MIM parts?
Springfield?? Which way can I turn? Is there a difference in MIM parts? What a disappointment. I thought Wilson was one of the best manufacturers going. Now you tell me that they're full of these "cost cutting" parts??

BAH!!!

KR

Kestrel
December 15, 2001, 01:47 AM
KY,

I got the info about MIM parts in the Wilson straight from the horse's mouth. Call their technical department and they will fill you in. You don't get their bulletproof parts until you get into the Tactical Elite, etc.

Jericho makes the frames and slides for Kimber, Wilson, CMC and some others (maybe Les Baer and RRA also?). They are high quality frames and slides.

I'm sending my Kimbers to Novak's and having them replace ALL of the MIM parts. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but I don't want MIM parts.

Steve

usncorpsmanpmt
December 15, 2001, 03:18 PM
Hi Kentucky Rifle,

Any MIM parts in a Wilson Combat pistol can be upgraded to tool steel for I think around $30 or so. It is not much at all. MIM parts do not break as often as some folks on this board would lead you to believe. It is a fact that more broken pistols with MIM parts are reported on this forum and others, but the pistols that are out in circulation numbers in the millions. We represent but a few of the numbers on this forum as compared to what is in circulation. Buy your Wilson and enjoy it.

USNCORPSMAN

Kestrel
December 15, 2001, 06:28 PM
The MIM parts are more durable than most people believe, but If I'm spending $1800 on a Wilson pistol, I expect not to have to have these cost-cutting parts.

It is also more than $30 to replace all the parts with tool steel parts. (It is better to replace the extractor with a SPRING-steel part, rather than tool steel.)

Some of the MIM parts are: firing pin, extractor, grip safety, thumb safety, slide release, etc. Some of these parts can be more than $30 alone, if buying high-grade parts (which I expect in an $1800 1911).

Steve

usncorpsmanpmt
December 15, 2001, 06:47 PM
Hi SteveW13,

You are 100% right about some of those parts being $30 alone, but if you order one of the lower priced Wilsons (as if 1550 is a low price) and it has any MIM parts, they will upgrade it as a package deal for about $30-$35. I think mine was a little over $30, but you have to ask. You don't know if you don't ask.

I do agree with you about not having MIM parts in a $1800 pistol, but you can bet your butt that those parts are made to the highest standards possible. No company with Wilsons reputation is going to risk potential sales just to save a few bucks on sub- standard parts.

Take Care:)

jaysouth
December 15, 2001, 06:54 PM
If Wilson's and Kimber's are made in the same building in Yonkers, N.Y., why would you be suprised that the Wilson has MIM parts.

By the Way, what's wrong with MIM. Craftsman tools makes their wrenches this way.

Some folks say that the MIM part is hard and durable enough but if you grind the surface away, it wears too quickly. If you get a Wilson, you won't have to grind anything. If there is a problem, send it back. Their service, when rarely needed, is superb. But I can't imagine why you would ever need to grind away on anything that Wilson puts his name on.

Jay

Boris49
December 15, 2001, 08:57 PM
Sub 1" groups, Zero FTF after 1000's of rounds, superb customer service. Get a life guys. It sounds like the old debate on forged vs. stock reduction knifemaking. Get a Wilson and fuggedaboutit.

ZekeLuvs1911
December 15, 2001, 10:05 PM
Steve, what you are paying for is a lifetime of quality customer service no other company out there is going to give you. Not KImber, not Colt, not anything else. I own Kimber, Springfield Armoury and Wilson pistols. When I call Wilson, nothing but high quality friendly service. I called Kimber and while I do like their pistols also, their cs absolutely sucked. I mean sucked. They couldn't get off the phone with me fast enough. Wilson took their time and even shot the breeze with me for 20 mins after they took care of my problems. That is why Wilson's is the best. BTW, their pistols are still in the top over Kimber, Colt, Springfield in quality IMHO.