PDA

View Full Version : Need inexpensive .222 Rem. ammo!

QuantumMechanic
December 13, 2001, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know of a retailer that sells affordable .222 Remington cartridges? I'd rather not bother with reloading, but $10 is more than I like to pay for 20 rounds.

Navy joe
December 13, 2001, 06:51 PM
10 for $20 is cheap for good ammo, rather spendy for plinking. Just a thought, study the dimensions of .222 and .223 and someone handy with gunsmithing could easily re-ream your chamber to .223 and you could then easily find all the cheap ammo you could stand.

QuantumMechanic
December 13, 2001, 08:10 PM
Thanks, Navy Joe. This rifle has had the barrel "free-floated," and the receiver "glass-bedded," to improve accuracy. Could re-chambering in .223 degrade the performance? I'll pay through the nose, or learn to reload, if changing the caliber is going to decrease the accuracy.

Keith J
December 13, 2001, 08:47 PM
Changing caliber will not degrade the accuracy but the crappy cheap .223 ammo will! The .222 is slightly lower pressure than the .223 and cheap 5.56mm stuff is even hotter, making this rechamber dubious in economy. The gunsmith charges alone would easily be negated by solution "B" below.

I recommend a Lee Loader in .222 Rem. For under $50 in investment you can load for under $4 a box of 20 AND get the razor accuracy that rifle is capable of. If banging cases isn't your forte, they also have a fully capable single station for just a few dollars more.

OkieCruffler
December 14, 2001, 12:22 AM
I'll second the vote for the Lee Loader, I have 3 of them (.38, .303, and 7.62X54R) and they are about as easy to use as you can get. And you can get one for about the price of 2 boxes of shells, find the exact load for your gun, and see what kind of accuracy you've been missing.