PDA

View Full Version : Question for Lefties

mike killian
December 11, 2001, 01:25 PM
Is there any manufacturer that makes a compact pistol that is as user friendly for lefties right out of the box as Glock?

I have looked at other pistols (45 cal) but none seemed to be as simple to operate, without adding more accessories like ambidexterous safeties etc. as the Glock.

It just seems that somebody else would have considered these things other than Glock.

I am probably going to purchase a Model 36 if I can't find any other options.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - Thanks:)

xcop
December 11, 2001, 01:49 PM
I am left handed also. I own Glocks but for concealed carry I use Kahr. I own the mk9 with 3 in barrel and an k9 with the 3 1/2 barrel. They are smaller than the Glock 26 and work like a Glock, no manual safety etc. What I found necessary was to cover the mag release button for inside waistband use. I had Blade Tech make me inside holster with the Kydex extended up slightly, protecting the release. Kahr pistols come in 9 or 40.......steel or steel/polymer.

blades67
December 11, 2001, 02:16 PM
SIG Sauer "P" series pistols come ready made for us left-handers.:cool:

SAWBONES
December 11, 2001, 02:45 PM
I'm left-handed.

In .45ACP, you have NO lefty-specific choices, since the "mirror-image" Randall/Safari Arms 1911s are long out of production. The Glocks are about as lefty-friendly as you'll find (I carry a Glock 30, personally), though the H&K USP series can also be had with either left-handed (right side of pistol frame) or ambidextrous safety levers, including the full size and Compact .45ACP models.

I prefer NOT to have a 1911A1 with an "ambidextrous" safety, and would much prefer a dedicated left-handed one. You'd think that with the popularity of the 1911, and the fact that 12.5% of the population is left-handed, SOMEBODY could cash in on that market, BUT NOOOO.... (best John Belushi voice)

In 9mm, the H&K P7M8 is as lefty-friendly a gun as exists, and the Walther P5 and P5 Compact both have left-sided ejection, making them more lefty-compatible, although the side of case ejection needn't be important as long as cases are thrown forward or directly sideways.

Best.

Onslaught
December 11, 2001, 03:01 PM
Interesting...

I've never considered the Glock to be all that "Leftie Friendly". It's no Sig, but the controls aren't in the greatest of places. The mag release is a bit sharp in the corner, and a little far back for my middle finger to use, and the slide release lever is WAAY far back for what I'm used to. It's not so bad that I wouldn't own one, but it wouldn't be my personal first choice for quick reloads.

I personally consider my Kahr P40 to be more user-friendly than the Glock, because the mag release is more forward, as is the slide release.

And as for MOST leftie friendly pistols, that honor (IMHO) goes to the CZ-85, (ambi safety, mag release and slide release!) followed by the HK USP's (left or ambi safety, ambi mag release, with slide release very much forward, and reachable with index finger). I understand that the HK2000 has an ambi slide release to, but they're next to impossible to get (if at all).

jumpcut
December 11, 2001, 03:15 PM
I'm a leftie too, I wouldn't consider a glock or a sig leftie friendly, although I do love my sig 228. Checkout the HK usp45, or the HK tactical. The slide release is long enough so that your first finger can reach it easily. The decocker/saftey can be moved to the other side of the gun so that your thumb can access it quickly and easily.

dinosaur
December 11, 2001, 03:19 PM
Ambi safety is standard, the mag release can be changed to left hand but they`re probably hard to get now. The slide release isn`t too bad but the same as the 1911 and can`t be changed.

S&W44
December 11, 2001, 03:28 PM
Try a revolver.Works great left handed.

Lennyjoe
December 11, 2001, 04:47 PM
Lefty here too. I carry a Taurus PT100AFS since its got the ambi decocker/safety and you can switch the mag release to the other side. Only thing is the slide release but its big enough to release with my trigger finger. Now, if Taurus got thier stuff together on the polymer line then Id have a .45 to carry too.

Thirties
December 11, 2001, 06:22 PM
CZ-85B is great for lefties, right out of the box.

marteny
December 11, 2001, 07:50 PM
My first post. I am a left handed shooter with small hands. My favorite pistol is a Bulgarian military surplus Makarov 9x18mm.
1) Its' safety is made for a righty; however I can use my left thumb to activate or deactivate it. It does, however, cost an additional second. (less with practice)
2) It is only a 9x18mm, some do not feel it has adequate stopping power. With the right ammo I think it is excellent.
3) Mag release is on the butt. It is equally as good (or bad) for either handed shooter.
4) The only problem on this gun that needed an adjustment was the bakelite "star" grips. The left side has a small metallic loop for a lanyard. It digs into the bottom of the left handers' palm. A dremmel tool adjusts it just fine.
5) Price and quality of this handgun can not be beat, usually about 130-160 bucks. (but shop around to be sure).

For a lefty with small hands and a limited budget. If the objective is a defense or concealed carry gun, I feel you can make this a nice solution. -It works for me.

spleenandideal
December 11, 2001, 10:08 PM
I too am a leftie.
I carry a Kahr K9Elite98 almost everyday.
As back-up I carry either a KeltecP32 or NAA .32.
I think the Kahrs are more lefty friendly than the Glocks. Don't carry the Glock 23 at all.

In bigger guns, the HK USP45 and the Tactical model both have ambidextrous safeties. I added that option to the USP45 for an extra 30 bucks.

I also have a Kimber 1911 full-size with a leftie only safety. the right side looks like there used to be a regular safety, but the lever was removed and smoothed.

I tried to carry a Makarov on occasion, but it seems the second or two needed to remove the safety may mean life or death.

After releasing the slide with my left trigger finger for most of my life, it seems unnatural to do it with a thumb, even if it were offered on lefty release. Same is true with the mag release. I used to have a Beretta with the mag release reversed, but felt 'funny' releasing the mag with my thumb.

Get a Kahr. You won't be sorry.

JB in SC
December 11, 2001, 10:49 PM
Kahr, HK P7 M8, M13, M8 K3, and a LH Randall :)

bandaidman
December 11, 2001, 11:13 PM
I am a lefty and find the beretta 92 series very lefty friendly. I have an elite and prefer it over the base model.

Just got a glock 36 but have not taken it out to the range. I'm in love!!!!!!!

The full size sigs (like the sig 220) I have are actually very easy for me to use despite the left sided controls. Where I have trouble is with the compacts.

Revolvers are also easy to use left handed.

HK makes right sided controls and while they feel good in the hand I have never fired one.

Hardtarget
December 11, 2001, 11:17 PM
The "think right only" of the gun makers always kept me away from the semi autos. I just shot revolvers. Then I started to notice the D.A.O. models. I got a S&W 5453TSW...(just before the fall). I know some do not like the D.A.O.system at all. It just seemed a logical transition for a revolver shooter. I'm still learning the trigger. Its getting better.
Mark.

2kiddad
December 11, 2001, 11:35 PM
and I carry both a Glock 26 and a BHP, depending on the weather, and what I'm wearing.

My Glock has had an extended mag and slide release installed. The mag release had a sharp edge that had to be relieved but other than that, I would highly recommend having both installed.

The BHP has an ambi-safety, but ironically enough, I don't use it. I can flick the safety off with my left thumb no problem.

I recently purchased a Walther P88. Walther designed this pistol to be totally ambidexterous from the start. It has controls on both sides that fall naturally to your thumb on either side. I'm learning to use this pistol totally left handed, but I'll probably never get completely used to it.

I've always shot left handed in a right handed world. I learned to operate the controls left handed from the very beginning. While I was in the Marines, I got used to M16 rounds zinging by my cheek, and the M1911 ejecting the odd round down my collar. Still happens today. I guess old habits die hard.

cookhj
December 12, 2001, 12:46 AM
i'm a lefty, and i use a P-228 for a CCW, and as far as i'm concerned, as long as you PRACTICE with your weapon, you can become just as proficient as a righty. you might have to modify how you release the slide, hit the decock, release the safety, and drop your mag, but with time, you'll do just fine.

Gunhead
December 12, 2001, 04:58 AM
Glocks are certainly NOT user friendly for lefties (like me). If you want a true leftie or ambi pistol try the HK P7.

Norman Bates
December 12, 2001, 05:48 AM
I'll go with Gunhead's advise on this one.

Recently got a P7M13 and marveled to discover it's the perfect leftie's gun.

And I've been shooting as a rightie all these years!!!!

NB

Indy_SIG
December 12, 2001, 06:33 AM
Seems most left-handers that I know (myself included) have learned through practice to use a "right handed" gun. Most of the major manufacturers, like SIG, have never been interested in satisfying the shooting needs of 22% of the shooting population.

My chosen manufacturer, SIG, is arguably the worst gun for a leftie, but I still choose them anyway. With time, and a looooooot of practice, a leftie can use any gun almost as well and as fast as a rightie.

I wouldn't limit your search for a gun to those that are "left" friendly....pick the gun for the right reasons (no pun intended) and then learn to use it. IMHO.

tonyz
December 12, 2001, 09:58 AM
Beretta 92FS
Ruger P95
CZ-75
1911 with ambidextrous safety

And there are many more with ambidextrous safeties and decockers.

Lefty,
Tony

Kermit
December 12, 2001, 10:14 AM
Another vote for the HK P7M8. ;)

Onslaught
December 12, 2001, 10:41 AM
To re-state my position...

The only "left handed" option I absolutely must have is a safety/decocker on the right side of the pistol. Even when the gun has the option of ambi mag release, I still use my middle finger. It's the only thing I can think of that's actually FASTER than the way it was intended. I use my index finger for releasing the slide.

Now having said that, there are certain pistols (like HK) who's controls on the left side (right handed) are more adaptable to using the middle and trigger fingers. The farther forward the mag release, the better HK, Walther P99, etc... all have that, but I have found that most any semi-auto is perfectly fine, EXCEPT the Glock. It's the least usable (to me) straight out of the box with the middle finger. Yes, you can file the corners, and install a mag release extension, but out of the box, it doesn't do well for me. The same goes for the slide release as well. The farther forward it extends, the easier it is get hit with the trigger finger. Glock could be made MUCH easier to use, if someone would make an extended slide release that went THE OTHER WAY!!! All the ones I've seen extend further BACK, with a neat little bump at the REAR. I need it to extend FORWARD with a bump on the FRONT.

But anyway, I do agree that Lefties just have to practice using right handed controls for the most part. But saying "it only takes an extra second" is not acceptable to me. It must be just as fast, or it's a hazard!

One more thing... I disagree that revolvers are "leftie friendly". I have one, and it didn't take long to realize that "speed reloading" was much more difficult since the cylinder swings away from my body, and I either have to change hands, or cross my right over my left to use a speedloader. Not a pretty sight.

Navy joe
December 12, 2001, 10:59 AM
Fuel to the fire: I own several ambi guns, but often carry those that aren't in my 1911 stockpile righthanded. It really didn't take me too much learning as far as stance,grip and trigger control, I just use my left eye still. Rifles I prefer to shoot lefty, otherwise I have to close my left eye to even see the sights. In general 1911's are very lefty friendly, although I don't think much of the style in its compact variants that you seem to be looking for.

Lennyjoe
December 12, 2001, 12:33 PM
Im right handed and left eye dominent. I've learned to shoot guns and bows left handed when I was little. I shoot bows and rifles/shotguns left handed only but I can shoot handguns either handed. I have learned to shoot both eyes open so its not much of a change of sight pattern to hold the handgun in my right hand and use my left eye to shoot. If im in the Isosceles stance then either hand will work but in the Weaver or Chapman stance then its left hand/left eye aim. I shoot alot better groups out of the Weaver or Chapman stance. That goes without saying since in the Isosceles stance I have to adjust my sight to use my left eye if the weapon is in my right hand. So I just concentrate on left hand shooting but am capable to shoot right handed if need be. ITs all about the practice fellas.

It would be nice though to have a selection of weapons that have the slide release on the right side though. You guys are bumming me out about Glock not being left hand friendly. Im seriously thinking of a Glock 30. Gonna go to the range Friday and shoot one to see if I like it.

Onslaught
December 12, 2001, 02:47 PM
LennyJoe - Don't be bummed... you'll love it. Glocks aren't lefty UNfriendly, I (and many others) just didn't agree that they were especially friendly enough to be called so, and that there were others more deserving of such a title.

You can reach the mag release, you'll just wanna file off that sharp corner on the front. You'll be able to release the slide, but it'll aggrivate you a little to start with, and you'll probably want an extended one.

The biggest bonus is that there's no safety to worry about.

jason10mm
December 12, 2001, 03:13 PM
SAWBONES, have you ever though of filing off the thumb ledge on the left side? THat should give you a smooth surface without compromising the safety function.

A general note on Glocks. There is NO slide release on Glocks!!! It is a slide STOP!! Yeah, some people try to make it easier to depress to drop the slide, but that is not what it is there for. There are several things to improve on the Glock, but that is not one of them. Just hand rack the slide to chamber a round and drive on. I do this exclusively (I usually shoot 1911s) just so I can handle a Sig or Glock under pressure if needed (plus some other lesser know pistols that might be improperly designed for the master race). LAter.

Lennyjoe
December 12, 2001, 04:07 PM
Im gonna give the G30 a try anyway. Just have to remember to reload a fresh mag after shot #9 so I wont have to worry about fumbling with the slide "Stop" if I get into a heated firefight. (Hopefully not) I practice with my PT 100AFS all the time to reload a new mag after the 10th shot (11 shot mags) that way I wont have to disengage the slide stop.

Khornet
December 13, 2001, 07:38 AM
I can work the safety on my Ruger P90 easily left-handed, one of the reasons I chose it.

BJordan71
December 13, 2001, 08:03 AM
As a lefty I shoot a Taurus PT-945. I also have a Taurus PT-99 but I can shoot the .45 better as I have smallish hands. I love them both but the 945 is my first choice.

mike killian
December 13, 2001, 08:17 AM
BJordan71

IS THE 945 A COMPACT??

sheaman
December 17, 2001, 11:14 AM
Try being a lefty with a small hand...then youre really hosed..I find most guns are also made with large grips...

Can anyone kill both issues with one gun???

mike killian
December 18, 2001, 06:42 AM
Try the Glock model 36. I find it fits my hand just right.

VVG
December 18, 2001, 07:12 AM
FWIW, I started shooting pistols in the Army. After looking at options, I chose to shoot right handed. With a two-handed stance, it's not much different with either hand, this got me away from worrying about lefty or even ambidextrous controls, and most pistols simply don't have a lefty option. I am slightly more accurate righty than lefty, as using your "weak" hand makes you concentrate on the fundamentals. I have a CZ85 Combat with ambidextrous controls, but that's the way it comes. An old Beretta 84 I had came with ambidextrous safeties and a reversible magazine release, a nice feature if yiu do shoot lefty.

BogBabe
December 18, 2001, 08:54 AM
I'm a lefty, too, and I've simply never been able to operate either the slide release, the mag release or the safety with my index finger, as some of you do. Not with small guns, not with large guns. Not with any handgun I've ever shot. Basically I have to turn the gun sideways in my hand and work my thumb around to that side.

I've done that for so many years now that if I actually had a gun with a slide release, mag release and safety on the right side I don't know if I'd be able to operate them!

Whenever I'm next at a gun show or gun shop, I'm going to take a look at some of the guns mentioned here as being lefty-friendly. From what I gather from the previous posts, the most lefty-friendly handguns would be the following:

P7M13, HK P7, Walther P88, beretta 92, CZ-85B, Taurus PT100AFS, HK USP

Anyone have any to add to this list?

hoosierdaddy
December 18, 2001, 12:08 PM
I turned the mag release around on my Beretta 96 and shoot it ambidextrously. It has an ambi safety/decocker factory and the mag release is easily changed to lefty. I'm not sure if the 92/96 models meet your "compact" requirement. I don't miond the size. I carry both the 96 and my 1911 full size in a Blade-Tech IWB.

Onslaught
December 18, 2001, 12:54 PM
Try being a lefty with a small hand...then youre really hosed..I find most guns are also made with large grips...
Can anyone kill both issues with one gun???

Kahr P9 or P40... Smallest grip circumference I have EVER seen on a 9mm or .40 pistol. mag release and slide-stop lever are far enough forward that I can reach them with my index finger.

BJordan71
December 20, 2001, 12:52 PM
To Mike Killian and lefties with small hands:

Taurus lists the PT945 as a large frame auto but it's about the same size as a 1911 Commander or a SIG220; 8 round single stack mag. I've just about quit shooting my PT-99 in IDPA as I shoot the 945 better. If your small hands can grip a 1911 OK then you'll probably be able to grip the 945 OK. Mine has been great right out of the box. The only problem I've ever had with it was caused by reloads using A-MERC brass. They wouldn't extract. I won't do that again.

Good shooting,
Stay safe.