PDA

View Full Version : Customizing lever rifles?

Nightcrawler
December 6, 2001, 11:00 PM
I know this would be a big project, but I'm just curious. Does anybody know of a gunsmith somewhere that does custom work to Marlin and/or Winchester lever rifles? I mean big projects, like shortening barrels and magazine tubes, stuff like that.

Just curious.

craigz
December 6, 2001, 11:12 PM
www.wildwestguns.com

Nightcrawler
December 6, 2001, 11:49 PM
Hmm. Cause for some reason, the idea of a Marlin cowboy rifle in .45 colt and/or .38-55, shortened down to an 18" carbine appeals to me. :)

DeBee
December 7, 2001, 12:59 AM
www.brockmansrifles.com

JohnKSa
December 7, 2001, 09:22 PM
www.drccustomgunsights.com

This gunsmith, Dave Clay, has a pretty good reputation with the Marlin Lever Guns. From what I understand, he does a lot more than custom sights...

ajacobs
December 8, 2001, 11:20 AM
I second wild west guns. I have a co-pilot from them in .357 with scout scope, take down conversion and everthing. Turn around time wa suprisingly fast. I not sure exactly what you are looking for but you would probally save money though, or atleast come pretty close) buy just buying a new one with the 16-18 inch barrel. Unless you are looking for some particular model in that barrell length that doesn't normally come in it. What is your project?

Nightcrawler
December 8, 2001, 12:20 PM
...Just a big fan of leverguns, with a special liking for customization. I'd be thinking of getting Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt, or a 336 Cowboy in .38-55, and having them shortened to, say, 18" or so. Neat custom carbine.

ajacobs
December 8, 2001, 12:24 PM
Great idea, I am also a fan of the .35-55. I wish my short carbines had metal front end caps and bandless barrels with heavy octogon barrels. It may kind of defeat the purpose of being light weight though. Ah who cares I would still want it.

I am also a fan of customization. I can't leave a gun factory and when I get it the way I like it it tends to collect dust as I have moved on to a new project.