PDA

View Full Version : Colt Defender 0.45 ACP Compact?

NeverAgain26
December 2, 2001, 01:08 PM
I am in the process of getting my first permits. I plan on buying a 22 cal. semi-auto target pistol (Ruger Mark II or S & W Hi Standard if I can find a deal), a S & W .357 Revolver and a third gun. The third gun is my question.

I had my eye on a Colt 45 Semi-Auto. I can either go compact or full size. I like the feel and the size of the Defender 0.45 ACP Compact (Model # 07000D). The full size one will be O.K. but I like the idea of the smaller size for Home Defense.

Does anyone here own and like one or own(ed) and hate(d) one?

The 45 will be used less for target shooting than for Home Defense (prefer no shotguns) but I will be on the range practicing with it (mostly at 25 yards). Will I be able to score with any accuracy? I know it is more for close up than this distance but I also want to have some fun on the range with the gun.

Does it's size significantly affect it's accuracy, recoil, handleability (made up a new word there)?

Thanks in advance for replies from people who have some experience and knowledge (and a strong feelings one way or the other) on this gun.

NeverAgain26
December 2, 2001, 01:35 PM
Forgot to add in I found a nice used one for $450.00. Dealer says it hasn't been fired a lot and it looks clean. Any tips on what to look out for when considering a used gun? The dealer seems reliable, but then again I am the new kid on the block.

Thanks

lonegunman
December 2, 2001, 03:09 PM
A 1911 with a barrel less than 5 inches is blasphemy.

gunny6
December 2, 2001, 05:55 PM
I`m well pleased with my Colt Defender, it is a joy too carry, and a very nice shooting pistol, I also like my stainless Officer`s model, but it really is alot heaver. When I want target work out to 25 yards the Government models get the call...

windknot
December 2, 2001, 06:53 PM
I've ran about 600 rds. through my defender and am really pleased with the overall performance of the gun. Had 2 FTF the first 50 rounds but has been 100% since then. Have ran everything from cheap ball ammo to personal defense JHP with no trouble. As far as the 3" bbl. and accuracy... not bad! And I'm not a very good pistol shot. But I'm really pleased with with the accuracy 15yds and in. I can get fairly decent groups at 25 yds. but I'm sure someone else could get better results than myself at that distance. But I'm getting better! I put a set of wood grips on my Defender and really makes carry easier. Shirt tail falls over it better. Only problem is slick front strap. Maybe I'll get it checkered someday. But all in all I'm really pleased with the Defender! Ron

burrhead
December 2, 2001, 07:11 PM
Defenders are pretty cute but they're way down on my list for a house gun. Short guns are difficult at best to shoot accuratly. Basic physics will tell you that they recoil more than a GM and the extra 2"s of barrel length greatly help pointability. Since you want it for a house gun, and not to carry, I don't really see the reason for using a pocket gun. That all said, it's your money. Me, I keep a shotgun handy.
BTW, S&W dosen't make High Standards. High Standard does.

rballi
December 3, 2001, 09:29 AM
First of all, take time deciding what and why to buy. Your 22 will probably get the most use. For the best value overall, I would go with the Ruger MKII series. The S&W 41's are nice, but can be pricey. Same goes for the High Standard pistols.

As far as your Home Defense gun goes, I would choose whatever you can shoot comfortable and can handle in the dark. My choice would be no bigger than a 4" revolver, mine is a 3" SS S&W Model 65 357 loaded with 38sp HP Nyclads just in case my wife has to use it.

That being said, I do have a couple of carry guns; a S&W 442 (airweight 5 shot DAO revolver), and a Kimber Ultra Carry (Colt Defender or Officer size). The recoil is pretty stout with these two guns, but they are not everyday shooters. The 442 is accurate out to 10yds, then it opens up to a pattern rather than a group, but still stays on an 8" pie plate out to 15 or 20 yds. The Kimber is very accurate, but I would say 20yds would be the max for me anyway. These guns are accurate for their intended purpose, but by any means are not target guns.

I would say a good compromise for your situation woult be a Colt Commander size 45 , Springfield Champion, or Kimber Pro Carry. These guns have full size frames, with 4" slides. Recoil is more tamable for a shooting session at the range.

Roy

NeverAgain26
December 3, 2001, 09:52 PM
Thanks to all of you, especially rballi. The advice is sound and I can make an informed decision. Now, all I have to do is wait on my permits.

See you all around.

Kobra
December 4, 2001, 01:46 PM
I have personally fired 3 Defenders and they all had problems with FTFire and FTFeed. One buddy sent his off to Wilson Combat and it still have problems. It got stolen, he bought a new one at a gun show in Louisville, and he has another lemon.

I would rather have a Glock 30, Kimber or Para personally, but surely Defenders aren't all lemons.

They do hold their resale value if not increase in value if that is of any interest.

ljlcdl
December 5, 2001, 04:18 PM
If you going to just use the 45 for a house gun, there is no advantage whatsoever in getting a small frame and barrel. There are many advantages to the larger frame/barrel (i.e. GM) including accuracy and spped of followup shots. Nobody with any credibility is going to tell you that you can shoot a Defender faster or more accurately than a GM. The Defender is a gun designed for discreet, concealed carry. Also, take a serious handgun course to learn how to use whatever it is you choose. In fact, if you could take the course with one of your other guns before making your final choice for HD, that would be even better. When you take a high quality course, a lot becomes self evident.

ljlc