PDA

View Full Version : Auto Ordnance 1911

jakester
December 1, 2001, 11:11 PM
Can anyone clear up my confusion? I have read two articles on the "new" Auto Ordnance 1911s and they conflict. One stated that the parts are "higher" quality and heat treated cast metal (slide and Frame) the other said the slide is forged bar stock and the frame was cast. Anyone own a "new" AO 1911?

dsk
December 1, 2001, 11:37 PM
From what I know all parts are investment cast. Why they'd make the slide forged and the frame cast would be beyond me. The biggest improvement with the new AO is that they are made using new tooling. The old ones were just gawd-awful, looking like you'd get a metal splinter just picking one up.

Rocklobster
December 2, 2001, 03:31 PM
The new guns have 4140 steel investment-cast frames and 4140 billet CNC-machined slides.Certain other high-stress parts (slide stop,for instance) that were cast are now machined from bar stock.

Those who know a bit about metallurgy are well aware that high-quality investment castings are very close in strength to forgings.The new (Kahr Arms) Auto-Ordnance guns are excellent-you don't see the dimples and voids that you usually see in castings (vis-a-vis Charles Daly),and the finishes are outstanding.

I have a 1911 PKZ.Not only does it look as good as my brother's new Colt 1911A1,but it shoots as well,too,at half the price.Kahr isn't lying when they say they've improved quality.

V.A. Cop
December 22, 2001, 10:42 AM
I just bought a new Auto Ordnance 1911 WWII model (pkz) because of the great write ups in the Gun Mags. It arrived at my dealers two weeks ago with no front sight. I inspected the gun before we sent it back to Kahr to fix it. All in all the gun was very well made and fit and finish were great. Gun was very tight and did not rattle when you shack it. Complaint: It has been two weeks since we sent it back and I still DON'T HAVE IT. When I do get it back I will post a range report and let you guys know how it performs. I guess it will be after Christmas before I have it back.:(

gyp_c2
December 22, 2001, 11:15 AM
What do they cost now? Basic GI type...no extras. Just the forged slide, cast frame and Gi look alike...No add ons. I still haven't seen one since Kahr took over. With things the way they are, it would be great if the market floods with decent quality utility weapons again...1911s everywhere and another gazillion longarms as well...The more the better ;)

V.A. Cop
December 22, 2001, 01:19 PM
Dealer cost on mine was $369. My dealer is my buddy so that is what I paid +shipping. I don't know what they are retailing them for.

V.A. Cop
December 22, 2001, 01:28 PM
I just saw "KahrCS1" in another post, he said he was a seinor customer service rep at "Kahr". KahrCS1 maybe you can see what the hold up is on my 1911a1.

Thanks, Mike.

steelerfan
December 22, 2001, 07:31 PM
FWIW, I saw two of these pistols today at the Salem, VA gunshow. They were being sold by two different vendors. Pistol #1's slide wobbled back and forth on the frame and I moved the rear sight back and forth with my index finger and thumb. Pistol #2 seemed more solid. Very little slide movement when forward and I couldn't manually move the rear sight. Maybe one was pre Kahr and one was post, I don't know but they both looked identical.

gyp_c2
December 23, 2001, 10:10 AM
I don't mind a loose slide to frame fit...or loose sights...at that price, I'd expect I'd wanna' change a few things anyway...FWIW...I wouldn't buy a gun like this unless I could handle it first... http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/bandit.gif

Alnamvet
January 2, 2002, 12:21 PM
Only problem I have with AO cum Kahr or whatever they are now known as is the affiliation to the Moon Cult....appears a #1 son is owner/BIG investor, has the company by the cojones, and for my money, stick with a SA Mil-Spec or a Colt 1991A1 if you want near original.

Dyno 10
January 2, 2002, 12:40 PM
Alnamvet,

My thoughts exactly!

stans
January 2, 2002, 08:08 PM
I handled a new production Auto-Ord 1911 just a few days ago and I was not impressed. The parkerizing was splotchy and the barrel fit was far worse than most GI issue 1911's.

blades67
January 2, 2002, 09:20 PM
Alnamvet and Dyno 10 - How did you decide that the "Moon cult" was bad, but the "Mormon cult" is okay? Is the "Catholic cult" good or bad? What gives you the right to say?

Get a new life, the one you have is bigoted and lame.:barf: (I doubt either of you guys knows anything about the Moonies. Or the rest for that matter.)

Skorzeny
January 3, 2002, 02:15 AM
Anytime a so-called religion utilizes its "members" as slave laborers to enrich the "founder" of the same religion and utilizes brainwashing techniques to turn its adherents against their family members (or to extort money from the same), I'd call that a cult. Cultish behaviors of the so-called Unification Church ("Moonies") have been well-documented.

Now, the Mormons, that's a little more complicated subject... Mormons, if possessing a little kookie theology (that Jesus was on the Americas), are very model citizens - community- and education-oriented and generally very industrious. However, the trouble starts when they become the preponderant religion in a given area...

Thank goodness we are a secular country.

Skorzeny

Alnamvet
January 4, 2002, 02:50 PM
Thanks Skorzeny....saved me from having to flame that jerk who can't see the difference between religious entities and cults.:)