PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on the Winchester model 70

Guyon
December 1, 2001, 05:35 PM
I don't see the Model 70 come up too often here, and I'd like to know more about it. I looked at a couple yesterday and learned that Winchester has used two different actions--one resembling a Mauser action (discontinued and then picked back up) and an action more like that of Remington. Is this accurate info? Is one action markedly better than the other?

Can you offer me any other information relevant to this gun? Reliability? Accuracy? Service? Anything. Any help will be appreciated.

Before you post "Buy a Remington" or "Get a Sako" or something similar, please realize that I'm not asking for other options at this point. I just want to learn more about the Winchester 70 right now. Mainly, I'd like to hear from people who have owned or used a model 70.

Sodbuster
December 1, 2001, 06:24 PM
I shoot a 30+ year-old push feed Model 70 in .270 that I am extremely happy with. It's everything I need: accurate, light recoil, perfect weight and balance, and a nice looking walnut stock. A flawless performer.

You may find the claw-feed more to your liking. A lot of people do. I find nothing wrong with the push feed. I've never needed factory service.

My only concern now: do I buy a new Featherweight chambered in 270WSM? Just because?

Brian Williams
December 1, 2001, 06:29 PM
Winchester came out with the Mod 70 in the early 50's and it was a good copy of the Mauser 98 with a steel triggerguard and floorplate (controlled feed). in 1964 they changed it to be similar to the Rem 700 in the bolt (push feed). A few years ago they change most of their line back to the old Pre' 64 style bolt. but some of the line like the coyote and others are still the "new" style or push feed.

Controlled feed bolts are like the Mauser and have a very large extractor that as the round is stripped from the magazine it is quicky picked up by the large extractor and controlled all the way into the chamber.
Pros: better extraction, can feed in most situations even upside down, some say stronger
Cons: more expensive to manufacture, less bolt head around the cartridge, the chamber is harder to accurize IIRC due to a cone shaped lockup

Push feed bolts are like Remingtons and have a smaller extractor. the extractor does not control the cartridge from the magazine to the chamber, it just strips the round and pushes it into the chamber.
Pros: easier to accurize due to flat bolt face and lockup otherwise see above and imagine the opposite. con is to pro and visa versa.

I have a post Classic and a pushfeed coyote both Mod 70's
I like the classic better

Bob Locke
December 1, 2001, 07:54 PM
Sgt. Carlos Hathcock used a Model 70.

That's a pretty good "ecucation" as far as I'm concerned! :D

MAD DOG
December 1, 2001, 08:16 PM
Check out these threads:

WIN 70 vs REM 700
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13813

LURCR Rifle (Based on Win 70)
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13726

I love the claw type model 70. Especially the pre64.
I build a fair number of rifles using them, and I will not touch a 700 Remington these days.

We also use the excellent Dakota 76 actions for best quality rifles.

Art Eatman
December 1, 2001, 08:22 PM
Perfessr, the Model 70 replaced the Model 54 in 1937. The retail price in 1946-1948 or so was $54; the Super Grade was about $70.

Ain't inflation wonderful?

:), Art

MeekAndMild
December 1, 2001, 11:56 PM
I got a Model 70 about 10 years ago. It shoots better than I do and has a reliable safety, a very good trigger and beautiful wood. It also has a nice thick recoil pad, for which I am very grateful. I can't really compare it to Remington because I've not shot Remingtons. If I ever get rid of it it would be to trade up to a Model 70 with the short magnum but for now regular cartridges are all I can stand recoil wise.

Not trying to stir up trouble but I have heard rumors that the Remington 700 series have had accidental discharges when the safties were taken off.Here is one discussion about it (http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a8098b57302.htm) and here is another story (http://pagunowners.tripod.com/public/gunsafety.html). You can never be too sure when you run across these things on the internet but I do believe the Winchester safety is designed differently from the Remington. The new Winchesters have a three position safety at the back of the bolt.

Guyon
December 2, 2001, 12:19 AM
Thanks folks. That's a great start. I'm considering a model 70 with the large extractor (Mauser style) in .30-06. Still just researching though. I do appreciate all the info and links.

BigG
December 2, 2001, 05:53 AM
I've had 5 Model 70s, all push feed, ranging from .223 to 30'06 to 375 H&H to 458 Win Magnum. All operated flawlessly and shot well, especially the heavy calibers.