PDA

View Full Version : Do 'new' 7rd S&W 4513TSW mags fit previous model ??

Greg All Calibers
December 1, 2001, 02:25 AM
I have a S&W 4513TSW .45 bought in 1998. Love the gun. I see the current (yr 2001) 4513TSW (yes, same model number, but it has a different SKU number) has a slightly different weight and is slightly longer. And it now sells with 7rd mags !

Will my 1998 4513TSW, which came with 6rd mags, take the new mags?

I plan to call S&W to confirm, but if anyone knows for sure, I would like to order some of these new 7rd mags online now.

Thank you.

Greg All Calibers
December 1, 2001, 11:45 AM
any one out there own a 4513TSW?---- thanks.

gunny6
December 1, 2001, 11:55 AM
I,ve got the 4553 TSW, same pistol in DAO. Mine also takes the 6 round mags. I`m sure the new 7 round will fit, but it will hang out the bottom. The new pistols do not have the grip frame cut out like the old ones.. if you install a set of Hogue grips, which will cover the cut out, it should look and work like the new models...

Greg All Calibers
December 1, 2001, 12:16 PM
gunny6:

two questions:

1. please explain in more detail what they did to the grip frame. My 1998 45143TSW (TDA) magazine has a 3/8" plastic baseplate that fits flush to the bottom of the BACK of the magazine well (I do not use the optional finger grip pad that came with the gun). And YES, the bottom of the mag well is cut-out, in the front only. And the overall height of the gun is about 5". How the heck are they getting another round in the new 4513's? Are you sure they are just taking out the cut-out, and if so, then the height of the gun (with the mag inserted), is now taller, right?

- Does the 'new' tactical .45 mag hang out the bottom of the gun, past the metal on the back of the mag well?
- Did they do something to the follower to allow another rd?
- What is the height of the 'new' models?

2. how does your Hogue grip fit? does it stay in place well? what is the model number?

Thank you......

gunny6
December 1, 2001, 12:17 PM
I got a few 6 round mags from CDNN a few months ago, give them a try..

www.cdnninvestments.com/

gunny6
December 1, 2001, 10:20 PM
Greg, my 4553 is cut out about 3/8`s of an inch on the sides and front of the magazine well, when I put in a 6 round magazine the plastic floor plate is now even with the mainspring housing..is this how your`s is ?? I believe the new pistols do not have this cut out, so they are longer and hold the extra round..
I purchased a set of Houge rubber grips for a 4516 and had to trim them to fit my 4553..easy job..they fit fine, much better than the stock grips in my hand..e-mail me and I`ll send you a picture..

[email protected]

I`ve also got a set of Houge Coco Bolo wood grips I`ll sell you for $30.00 shipped, if you want...new not trimmed...