PDA

View Full Version : Can stainless steel be chrome plated?

Blue Duck357
November 26, 2001, 12:16 AM
Was over at the Tripps website which shows some very nice bright chrome finishes. Can these be done to stainless gun without problems?

Walt Sherrill
November 26, 2001, 09:28 AM
I think darned near any metal can be plated ... but why bother?

Your stainless gun[s] can probably be polished to a high luster if that's what you're after.

Blue Duck357
November 26, 2001, 09:39 PM
Well I had of course considered that Walt, but it would be far too easy and likely less expensive, and if I have too much of anything it's time and money.... Not buying it huh... :o

Have no idea why I had not thought of that. I remmber seeing the "ultimate" Pythons and yes thats the look I'd like on a stainless 1991A1 commander I'm swapping for (yeah some will say I'm making a pimp gun, but hey I want one)

Thanks, Blueduck

Mikey
November 26, 2001, 10:16 PM
Blueduck,

Us range pimps have to stick together!

There are benefits to adding hard chrome to a stainless gun. In the case of a factory piece like the Colt, it will tighten things up a bit since the chrome does have some slight thickness to it. Slide to frame fit will improve and bushing fit to slide and barrel will tighten some. Wear characteristics will improve greatly. No more shiny spots (or dull spots in the case of a bright finish) from hand or holster wear.

The gun in the pic attached was an all stainless Caspian I built. I sent it to be hard chromed a few weeks ago. It is a much improved gun after the plating, in my opinion.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=189452&a=1388083&p=56682269&Sequence=0&res=high

Mikey

Blue Duck357
November 26, 2001, 10:38 PM
Mikey, Thanks for the information and very nice gun by the way. Being mainly into Glocks I feel entitled to own at least one "shiny" gun.

Walt Sherrill
November 27, 2001, 06:41 PM
Chrome plating to "tighten" a gun doesn't seem like a good justification -- as the gun should be tight already

What the hard chrome can do, not already mentioned, is "slick" things up a bit, and reduce wear over time. That's a real advantage over some finishes.

Blue Duck357
November 27, 2001, 06:46 PM
So would it be best to have other work (accuracy and trigger) done after the plating so it would not mess up the tolerances?

WESHOOT2
November 28, 2001, 05:02 AM
All work is performed before plating.